Home General Discussion

New Fuente Fuente Forbidden X sizes for 100th...

So 2012 marks the 100th Anniversary of Arturo Fuente cigars, and starting a few weeks ago, some of the top Fuente accounts started receiving 13 count boxes of Forbidden X cigars, in a bunch of new sizes, with crazy names, and a second band depicting the clock from the Don Arturo Aniverxario band (roman numerals, a 1 and a 3 as hands), presumably marking something to do with company or family history. Not every account got the same sizes, and those that were lucky enough to get any seem to have only gotten a few boxes. Also floating around are boxes of Don Carlos lanceros (also 13 ct.) and Magnum Rs in a 5x44 corona. The blend of the new Forbiddens is, according to my source, a 100th anniversary blend that we will see again at some point in 2012. New sizes are as follows:

Forbidden Torch Bearer 2012, 7 5/8 x 49
Forbidden Nacimiento 1912, 5 1/8 x 43
Forbidden Heart of the Bull 1957, 5 1/4 x 50
Forbidden Destiny 1980, 5 3/4 x 52
Forbidden Keeper of the Flame 2013, 6 1/4 x 49
Forbidden God's Whisper 1924, 7 1/5 x 47

Some photos (none mine, most BrooksW from Halfwheel)

To me, I can't help but think that the wrappers look pretty similar to the Lost City wrappers, and the reviews I have read from dudes that have smoked these already, they sound like a mix of the dark, wet, fruit and maple flavors from Lost City, with the raisin and Calvados flavors from the Cigar in the Bottle style Forbidden X from the past. Needless to say, I am literally hoarding as many of these as I am allowed everywhere I see them.

Also, by all accounts, this is just the first wave of surprises we will see from Fuente in their 100th Anniversary year. The buzz at IPCPR was "2012, 2012, 2012... 100th. Wait till 2012"

Comments

• KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    are these available on CCOM?
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    had the 1957. it was good. not worth the money tho.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    lcpleel:
    Interesting. All of them that I have found have been really reasonable in price, in that 15-18 dollar range, which for Forbidden X stuff is actually really inexpensive. Word is also 5 year aged tobacco in these BTW.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I must get some!
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    lcpleel:
    Interesting. All of them that I have found have been really reasonable in price, in that 15-18 dollar range, which for Forbidden X stuff is actually really inexpensive. Word is also 5 year aged tobacco in these BTW.
    Remember I'm in Cali. If you find them for msrp. Let me know! Worth the msrp but not what I paid. Lol
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Fuente just can't stop with this crap. I liked the lost city, thought they were a mellow cousin to the opus but I get sick of this yearly new thing.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Fuente just can't stop with this crap. I liked the lost city, thought they were a mellow cousin to the opus but I get sick of this yearly new thing.
    ? So what about every other company in the market who put out 5 new lines, and 2 limited editions every year? If anything Fuente does FAAAAR less than anyone else, and unlike a lot of others, have some of the most solid, well established core lines (I mean... Hemingway since the 80's, Don Carlos before, etc). "Yearly new thing" is a bit of an exaggeration, no? Magnum R is the first new regular line from Fuente in ages.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    same opus blend?
  • To purchase one, is a second mortage required??
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I just can't get excited over anything Fuente, new or old. For me and my palate, there are better cigars for the same or less money. Cool for them that they have made it 100 years to celebrate.
    mrknowitall:
    To purchase one, is a second mortage required??
    As long as you aren't buying in NY, CA, or from Casa Fuente... MSRP on these is betwen 14 and 18 dollars I think. DC Lanceros seem to float around 22. Beats the pants off the 40 or so that the Forbidden X Toro goes for.

Kuzi, no. Not regular Opus blend. It's a new blend for 100th Anniversary, but is closest to the Forbidden X blend from the 2004 Toro/Cigar in the Bottle cigar from what I'm reading.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went from having zero Opus X to 4 after a Secret Santa exchange. I Think they are good but at $20 to $30 each I just do not think they are worth it. I know I spend the money on Viaje but with those I pay $10 to $12 each. Now that I have a few of these in the humidor I am wanting to find some friends for them but I am just not willing to hunt them down and pay the ridiculous price. Might be willing to grab a few if I stumble upon them and the price is right. I am still wanting a Lost City but the only place I can find them has inflated the price and I just can't pull the trigger.
    20 to 30 dollars is not acceptable for Opus X. Find them at a B&M that will sell them at MSRP. If you need help, PM me.
    I had a source for these today but after 2 hours they were out of stock.
  • Would love to get ahold some of these but I just don't see it in the cards. Gonna have to just keep my eyes peeled and perhaps I'll get lucky.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Just saw two of these sizes, the 1957 and the 2013 for sale on a website. They have them in stock but $42 and $45 a piece, lol.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Just saw two of these sizes, the 1957 and the 2013 for sale on a website. They have them in stock but $42 and $45 a piece, lol.
    that is probably post market. these things are very limited and people will be willing to pay out the ass for them. i wont be willing to pay that kinda price... so, yeah.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    kuzi16:
    amz1301:
    that is probably post market. these things are very limited and people will be willing to pay out the ass for them. i wont be willing to pay that kinda price... so, yeah.
    yeah, as much as I would love to pick up a couple of each, at that price, I don't think so.
    The prices I saw were between $18 and $25. Too bad I missed them. I'm a big fuente brand.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Are these only a limited release or are they gonna release these every year?
    big chunks:
    Are these only a limited release or are they gonna release these every year?
    2012 is Arturo Fuente's 100th Anniversary, and from what it looks like, the Forbidden Xs are for this year, to celebrate. The Don Carlos Lanceros are a cigar that has been made in small numbers here and there for years.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Thanks for the info, looks like I won't be getting any of these. They should put those in the 2012 opus 22 just my opinion