Home Cigar 101
Options

Coolidors

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
I'm thinking about putting together a coolidor this year and I have a temperature concern I was wondering if anyone would mind addressing. I just read a thread regarding keeping the coolidor in a warm area and insulating the cigars from the heat, but my concern is what happens if it's kept in an area that's too cold?

If I get a coolidor the only place I can really keep it is my basement. Right now we just use it for storage and it is unheated, so it gets pretty cool down there in the winter time. I haven't taken a temp reading yet, but it's chilly. I'm wondering how much I need worry about the internal temperature of the cooler when it's kept in a cold area.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I'm thinking about putting together a coolidor this year and I have a temperature concern I was wondering if anyone would mind addressing. I just read a thread regarding keeping the coolidor in a warm area and insulating the cigars from the heat, but my concern is what happens if it's kept in an area that's too cold?

If I get a coolidor the only place I can really keep it is my basement. Right now we just use it for storage and it is unheated, so it gets pretty cool down there in the winter time. I haven't taken a temp reading yet, but it's chilly. I'm wondering how much I need worry about the internal temperature of the cooler when it's kept in a cold area.

Thanks.
    Standard basements maintain about 60-64 degrees in winter conditions, don't know where you are located. I keep mine there and it has been fine, search online for coolidor answers, there is abundant amout of info. check this website out: http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/09/26/how-to-build-a-coolidor/
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I'm no expert, but if you're looking at 60 degrees or so, I wouldn't be that worried. Better low than high as far as temperatures go. Sure, RH will drop with the temp a tad, but I'd think that as long as changes are gradual, and that the ultimate temperature isn't too low, you should be safe.
  • Options
    Alright, thanks guys! Now I just need to pick out a size.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    Go bigger!!!! You will need it, later!!
  • Options
    jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    y2pascoe:
    I picked up a blue 48-qt coleman cooler the other night at ***'s sporting goods. It was only 19.99, has a good seal and the water valve on the bottom (which I liked so that I can keep it open to get air circulation if I am ever away for an extended period of time). I would have liked to go bigger, butu my wife was amazingly cool with me getting this for the intended reason and I didn't want to push it (yet).
  • Options
    Thinking of ordering a Coleman 70 qt. I was looking at the 50 qt at my local store and I thought it was too small, and they had a 120 qt which I just feel is way more than I need (I know, I know....always go bigger!). I think this 70 qt Xtreme should fit my needs.
  • Options
    How would you go about testing the seal of a cooler? Dollar bill?
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Haha. That or the whoosh test. ;) Something tells me you'll be just fine.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    How would you go about testing the seal of a cooler? Dollar bill?
    flashlight test. turn on a bright flashlight and set it inside the cooler. close it. if you can clearly see light then it is not sealed. if you see light bit it is obviously through plastic, then you are fine
  • Options
    How do you guys usually set up the inside of them? Do you set up shelving of some sort or just stack up your boxes and what not in there with the room you have? I like what Sniper ending up doing here, with the containers of beads underneath the wire shelf. Just curious what's the neccesity of the additional container full of distilled water.

As always, thanks for your input guys.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    Just curious what's the neccesity of the additional container full of distilled water.
    Ha. Answered this myself reading the rest of that post.
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    Just put in an order for a 70 quart cooler. Based on the dimensions, the volume is about 5 1/3 cubic feet. Should I need much more than a pound of humidifcation beads?
  • Options
    GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    Just put in an order for a 70 quart cooler. Based on the dimensions, the volume is about 5 1/3 cubic feet. Should I need much more than a pound of humidifcation beads?

A little more than a pound
  • Options
    Goatmilk:
    y2pascoe:

Hold on if it is a 70 qt average inside dimensions are 24" x 12" x 13" = 2.16 cubic feet My 150 qt, is 36" x 14.5" x 16" = 4.8 cubic feet, On average 1 pound of beads for 5 cubic feet 65% Beads 1 pound does great image
  • Options
    MVW67:
    Goatmilk:
    y2pascoe:

Hold on if it is a 70 qt average inside dimensions are 24" x 12" x 13" = 2.16 cubic feet My 150 qt, is 36" x 14.5" x 16" = 4.8 cubic feet, On average 1 pound of beads for 5 cubic feet 65% Beads 1 pound does great image
    Huh. I just ordered it from Walmart, it's a Coleman. Accoriding to the the description, the dimensions are 18-1/4" x 31-1/2" x 16". I'll just measure when I get it.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    MVW67:
    Goatmilk:
    y2pascoe:

Huh. I just ordered it from Walmart, it's a Coleman. Accoriding to the the description, the dimensions are 18-1/4" x 31-1/2" x 16". I'll just measure when I get it.
    They are the outside dimensions inside dimensions are 24" x 9.75" x 12.75" = 1.72 cubic feet 1/2 pound should do ya!!!! http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6270A748&categoryid=8581&brand=
  • Options
    MVW67:
    y2pascoe:
    MVW67:
    Goatmilk:
    y2pascoe:

They are the outside dimensions inside dimensions are 24" x 9.75" x 12.75" = 1.72 cubic feet 1/2 pound should do ya!!!! http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6270A748&categoryid=8581&brand=
    Ah...thanks. I'm glad I'm not an engineer.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    id rather have more beads than needed. I have almost 2 pounds in my 52 quart coolidor. holds a rock solid 67% with my kitty litter crystals.