Home Cigar 101

Hygrometer Woes and Worries

oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
So, I bought a Xikar digital hygrometer.

Salt test 1: 69 - plastic bag
Calibrated it to 75
Salt test 2: 88 - tupperware with rubber seal

Please help me figure out what is going on!

Comments

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Few possible things.
    1)From my experience, it takes a LONG time for the salt to get the RH to 75. Depending on the amount of salt you use and how much space (or air) is in the container you're using. Using more salt should help reach equilibrium of 75 in a shorter amount of time. Ex: I used a bottle cap in a ziploc sandwich bag my 1st time & it took over 24 hrs.
    2) Salt test is very picky about the amount of water you put in. If I remember correctly the goal is to make it look & feel like wet sand. Not overly wet, & not dry. You don't want the salt floating in a puddle of water.

If I had to guess, on your 1st try it would have went to 75 RH reading on the Hygrometer IF you had waited for another day or so. You possibly overcompensated when you calibrated by raising it 6 rh points. The second time its now reading high, and when it was reading at or near 75 its now saying up over 80 because you calibrated it too high. Try again I would say, & expect to possibly have to bump it down roughly the same amount to recalibrate.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The instructions that came with my digital said to leave the hygro in the bag for 24 - 36 hours. I did and I have no problems with mine. Just thought that might help clear this up.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    blurr:
    Few possible things.
    1)From my experience, it takes a LONG time for the salt to get the RH to 75. Depending on the amount of salt you use and how much space (or air) is in the container you're using. Using more salt should help reach equilibrium of 75 in a shorter amount of time. Ex: I used a bottle cap in a ziploc sandwich bag my 1st time & it took over 24 hrs.
    2) Salt test is very picky about the amount of water you put in. If I remember correctly the goal is to make it look & feel like wet sand. Not overly wet, & not dry. You don't want the salt floating in a puddle of water.
    If I had to guess, on your 1st try it would have went to 75 RH reading on the Hygrometer IF you had waited for another day or so. You possibly overcompensated when you calibrated by raising it 6 rh points. The second time its now reading high, and when it was reading at or near 75 its now saying up over 8 because you calibrated it too high. Try again I would say.

Even if it takes a long time, then why after 2 hours is my hygrometer reading 90 now?

My salt is very much like wet sand - no standing water. I absorbed the extra water with a paper towel, and felt the salt and it was just wet enough to cake up.

and then do one more, and if I cannot get it, I am going to buy another hygrometer and one of those calibration test kits from humicare.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    oldsoulrevival:
    blurr:
    Few possible things.
    If I had to guess, on your 1st try it would have went to 75 RH reading on the Hygrometer IF you had waited for another day or so. You possibly overcompensated when you calibrated by raising it 6 rh points. The second time its now reading high, and when it was reading at or near 75 its now saying up over 8 because you calibrated it too high. Try again I would say.
    Even if it takes a long time, then why after 2 hours is my hygrometer reading 90 now? My salt is very much like wet sand - no standing water. I absorbed the extra water with a paper towel, and felt the salt and it was just wet enough to cake up. and then do one more, and if I cannot get it, I am going to buy another hygrometer and one of those calibration test kits from humicare.
    Try it again, but do let the test run for at least 24 hours. No cutting corners. Do not worry about the hygrometer reading until the proper time has elapsed.
    I'll try it for 24 hours, although the instructions said 4 hours.

Thanks for the advice.
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Last salt test I did took 36 hrs to get to 75%
    Goatmilk:

but did it go way too high and then come back down to 75?
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    Goatmilk:

but did it go way too high and then come back down to 75?

I didn't check it for the first time until 24 hours. Just let it set for 24 hours then see where it is.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I can never get a reliable reading with the salt test, I just get the kit. I'll have to try it again sometime when I feel like messing about with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Not meaning anything by this but a couple of times I confused the temp reading with the humidity reading and spent needless time recalibrating a working hygro. It takes me a good 12 hours to reach 75 on the salt test using distilled water and a tupperware.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    If all less fails just get a Boveda One-Step Calibration Kit. No guess work at all. Well worth the $5 for me.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    24hrs minimum......36 is better

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    36 hours in a dark temperature constant spot.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I can never get a reliable reading with the salt test, I just get the kit. I'll have to try it again sometime when I feel like messing about with it.
    Yup, me as well. Screw the salt test!