Home General Discussion

tar from a cigar?

i was smoking an af hemingway the other night that i had been saving for a while and the stick started oozing this tar. and boy did it taste GROSS when it got on my tounge. i've been smoking for a couple of years and this is the first time ive ever had this happen. any idea why?Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone Appi was smoking an af hemingway the other night that i had been saving for a while and the stick started oozing this tar. and boy did it taste GROSS when it got on my toungeUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that you were smoking too fast. Try slowing your pace a bit.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    had that happen once with a GH 2002 vintage and yea its nassy, some say clip a little more off when it starts doing that
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    This is why I am always conservative when I cut the cap, all you have to do is cut more off if tar comes up ( I use scissors). If there is too much saliva blocking a good draw after a while cutting more off the cap also solves that issue.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    As much as I love Fuente I have had this happen mostly on Fuente sticks. I have had it on others but not as much. Usually it is because of a few problems. The cigar is too moist, you are smoking too fast, the cut is too small. I mostly get this when I use a punch or a really small cut. If you cut it again you should resolve the problem.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if its a little tight etc, sometimes ill use a toothpick to drive a few holes in it to open it up some
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought here, because this typically happens when the draw is tight and you have to use a bit more force, but how did you start it off? Were you drawing hard to get it to burn? The perfecto shape, in my experience, tends to start off feeling like a very tight draw due to the very small opening you're taking air in through. I usually baby the hell out of the beginning of these and other perfectos and almost let them burn a bit on their own until the draw opens up for this reason.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I had a tar issue once with that exact same smoke. But...I've also had great cigar experiences with that same smoke. Such is life.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've had a bunch of cigars tar up on me, mostly in the winter. I think the drastic change in temperature and RH might also be a factor. It's absolutely disgusting and no getting it off your tongue. Pretty much ruins the smoke.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    tar happens. I had it happen on many sticks from an Anejo and MOW to the Partagas 150 I smoked. not really a big deal. clean it off and keep on puffing.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I love Fuentes cigars, but the only two times I remember this happening, it was on a Don Carlos and an Opus X. I still enjoyed them, just re-cut slowed down and was careful not to let it unwrap.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    When this happens, take another cut off the head, and smoke a little slower. Also, was it really cold and dry when you were smoking? I find that this happens a lot more in those circumstances.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Had the same thing happen with an Opus X. Slow your smoke and take an extra cut, worked for me.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Wow those pics are hard to look at. Gross. I've, luckily, not dealt with this issue, but I'm sure I'll have my day.
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    I wouldn't put that in my mouth if you paid me.
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    IrishAJ:
    i could go in so many directions with that statement, bahahaha
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I had a short story leaking ooze recently.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of tar build up... But holy hell, that cigar looks NASTY!
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    IrishAJ:
    That's what she said. and that's why I'm engaged to a different girl