Home Non Cigar Related

Cognac VS & VSOP

I recently tried the Hennessey VS after trying the VSOP a few weeks ago. And though I still have not acquired a taste for either, I find that the VS tastes just as good as the VSOP. I guess the XO is where you find the improvement in taste? What do you think, those of you that have tried these cognacs?

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    isn't one a champagne style cognac?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind is that all cognac is brandy - but not all brandy is cognac. Cognac is simply brandy from the Cognac region of France.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are any number of brandies out there that are as good - or better - than cognacs are. Just like there are many non-Cuban cigars as good or better than Cubans.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    jlmarta:
    One thing to keep in mind is that all cognac is brandy - but not all brandy is cognac. Cognac is simply brandy from the Cognac region of France.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are any number of brandies out there that are as good - or better - than cognacs are. Just like there are many non-Cuban cigars as good or better than Cubans.
    +1 I have never really been impressed with Hennessy.
    And more along the lines of the previous post you might enjoy other brandy a bit more.

Henn has the name many others have the taste

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I have a bottle of St-Remy XO Brandy. As much as I like it, I don't find that it pairs well with most cigars. I don't know if it's the 'smoky'ness of the Brandy, or the sweetness, but it can overpower a cigar and just ruin the moment.
    I have had (and rather enjoy) a pour of Scotch with a cigar and found that it can pair well with different cigars, depending on the Scotch. I'm guessing that there are differences in Brandy, just like there are differences in Scorch and cigars. It may take you a while to find one you like, or maybe you need to find a different beverage that isn't overwhelming the cigars that you are smoking. When you find something that works, it should enhance a cigar that you already enjoy and make the moment very special....that's how I feel about it.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    jlmarta:

And more along the lines of the previous post you might enjoy other brandy a bit more.

I'm with Stephen, Hennesy just isn't "all that" for me. What I do like, that's similar, is the 7 Star Metaxa! Different, but good. Generally, I do find that I prefer the VSOP to either the VS or the XO. Just a matter of personal taste.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Don't like Hennessy. Rob is the man with this stuff. he got me some great ones to try. I can't remember what they were but very yummy. XO is usually better, but sometimes not. It's all taste to the person drinking it.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    For me, the XO is usually sweeter. Often too sweet for me (some to the point that it has a hint of syrup maybe?) it is hard to put in words but the main thing is that if you like the VS, or the VSOP but think that sweeter would be better then the XO would be the way to go.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    jlmarta:

As an example of what I was saying earlier, and with regard to brandies, once, a number of years ago when I was a bartender, I was put in the position of comparing, side by side, Korbel brandy vs. Christian Brothers brandy. I had been taught that brandy was brandy. But after taking a sip of Korbel and clearing my palate, a sip of the Christian Brothers was like drinking saw blades compared to the Korbel.

End of lesson.
    jlmarta:
    stephen_hannibal:
    jlmarta:

As an example of what I was saying earlier, and with regard to brandies, once, a number of years ago when I was a bartender, I was put in the position of comparing, side by side, Korbel brandy vs. Christian Brothers brandy. I had been taught that brandy was brandy. But after taking a sip of Korbel and clearing my palate, a sip of the Christian Brothers was like drinking saw blades compared to the Korbel.

End of lesson.
    I got a bottle of Christain Brothers awhile back I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was crap.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Never had brandy that I liked that wasn't Cognac... I also think that the only Cognacs worth sipping neat are XO and above, while VS and VSOPs are great for mixing. I like Ferrand Cognac a lot. Like, a lot a lot.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Doc here. VS and VSOP are generally better grades for mixing unless you go with really high end stuff. Pierre Ferrand makes some decent stuff for Gabriel & Associates that's VSOP priced and is fantastic (Fin Bois). VS and VSOP are actually the sweeter, fruitier style, while XOs are usually drier due to the longer time spent in the barrel (more tannins extracted). I'm a huge fan of anything that comes out of the house of Ferrand, though Hennessy and Remy are solid for the giants that they are. I personally have never been a huge fan of Courvoisier, though some people refer to it as the "sweeter" of the giants (in style).

Look for an XO at a local bar but expect to pay upwards of $25 for a glass - get ice on the side so you can try it neat and then add ice if you'd like. It may be pricey but it beats spending $100+ on a bottle if you're not gonna like it.

What do you typically drink? Cognac may just not be for you but it also may be an acquired taste. Could also be that you started with the lower end stuff. Nothing beats a really nice glass of top shelf cognac....except maybe the price. If I get an idea of what you usually drink and what you like, I may be able to recommend something to suit your taste.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Rob1110:
    I agree with Doc here. VS and VSOP are generally better grades for mixing unless you go with really high end stuff. Pierre Ferrand makes some decent stuff for Gabriel & Associates that's VSOP priced and is fantastic (Fin Bois). VS and VSOP are actually the sweeter, fruitier style, while XOs are usually drier due to the longer time spent in the barrel (more tannins extracted). I'm a huge fan of anything that comes out of the house of Ferrand, though Hennessy and Remy are solid for the giants that they are. I personally have never been a huge fan of Courvoisier, though some people refer to it as the "sweeter" of the giants (in style).

Look for an XO at a local bar but expect to pay upwards of $25 for a glass - get ice on the side so you can try it neat and then add ice if you'd like. It may be pricey but it beats spending $100+ on a bottle if you're not gonna like it.

What do you typically drink? Cognac may just not be for you but it also may be an acquired taste. Could also be that you started with the lower end stuff. Nothing beats a really nice glass of top shelf cognac....except maybe the price. If I get an idea of what you usually drink and what you like, I may be able to recommend something to suit your taste.
    I actually have not drank anything with alcohol in it in years. Just wanted to try the cognac on a whim. Oh, and I was mistaken earlier, it was Remy Martin VSOP and Hennessey VS that I tried. I probably won't try to find the right drink, just had a lark on the cognac. Now, smoking the cigars was a whim, but has turned out to be a love.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, that is the best description of bad booze I have ever seen!
    Salem:
    I actually have not drank anything with alcohol in it in years. Just wanted to try the cognac on a whim. Oh, and I was mistaken earlier, it was Remy Martin VSOP and Hennessey VS that I tried. I probably won't try to find the right drink, just had a lark on the cognac. Now, smoking the cigars was a whim, but has turned out to be a love.

If you're not much of a drinker, start easy. Straight cognac might not be the best way to go for you. At least not yet. Try making some of the recipes I gave you in your last post about cognac. Mixing your VSOP into a nice cocktail might help you appreciate the flavors of the cognac, while diluting it enough to tolerate the alcohol burn.

What other drinks or spirits do you have to mix with? I'll do my best in coming up with a recipe that works with what you have to showcase the cognac and try to keep it simple. I have a bottle of Remy VSOP at home that I can mix with.
    Rob1110:
    Salem:

If you're not much of a drinker, start easy. Straight cognac might not be the best way to go for you. At least not yet. Try making some of the recipes I gave you in your last post about cognac. Mixing your VSOP into a nice cocktail might help you appreciate the flavors of the cognac, while diluting it enough to tolerate the alcohol burn.

What other drinks or spirits do you have to mix with? I'll do my best in coming up with a recipe that works with what you have to showcase the cognac and try to keep it simple. I have a bottle of Remy VSOP at home that I can mix with.
    I have nothing at home but the Hennessy VS. Clean slate, lol!
    OK, then we can start simple and keep this as cheap and easy as possible. Do you bake? If so, you must have some anise extract around. It's not gonna be exact or official, but it'll be a spin on an old New Orleans recipe for a Sazerac.

Chill a cocktail glass with ice and water while preparing the drink
    3 oz Hennessy VS
    1 oz simple syrup (1 part water, 1 part sugar - stir or shake until the sugar completely dissolves)
    - shake or stir with ice for 20-30 seconds (sine you probably don't have bitters, we'll omit those as well)
    Put 1-2 drops of anise extract in your chilled glass and swirl it around to release the aroma
    Strain your drink into the glass and squeeze a small piece of lemon peel into the drink to release the lemon oils on the surface of the drink.

It's missing some crucial ingredients, but it'll give you the idea of how cognac can be mixed into a classic cocktail while keeping cognac the star of the drink. I'll see what else I can find with just cognac and simple, everyday ingredients.
    Rob1110:
    OK, then we can start simple and keep this as cheap and easy as possible. Do you bake? If so, you must have some anise extract around. It's not gonna be exact or official, but it'll be a spin on an old New Orleans recipe for a Sazerac.

3 oz Hennessy VS
    1 oz simple syrup (1 part water, 1 part sugar - stir or shake until the sugar completely dissolves)
    - shake or stir with ice for 20-30 seconds (sine you probably don't have bitters, we'll omit those as well)
    Put 1-2 drops of anise extract in your chilled glass and swirl it around to release the aroma
    Strain your drink into the glass and squeeze a small piece of lemon peel into the drink to release the lemon oils on the surface of the drink.

It's missing some crucial ingredients, but it'll give you the idea of how cognac can be mixed into a classic cocktail while keeping cognac the star of the drink. I'll see what else I can find with just cognac and simple, everyday ingredients.
    That really sounds good! I'll have to try it, thanks!!!
    Salem:
    Rob1110:

3 oz Hennessy VS

That really sounds good! I'll have to try it, thanks!!!
    I know its super cheap but I love E&J XO.