Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Jar

I picked one of these up today since it was on sale for super cheap. It says 40 cigar capacity but I am thinking I can maybe manage 25 into it. I plan on using it at higher RH than my other two humidors. The idea being that I will put my cheaper sticks into the jar and get them humidified faster for quick smoking.

It came with a cheap round humidifier that is a throw away. I purchased some tube sticks to go in the middle of the cigars and hopefully keep it at about 70-72% RH I also got a button hydrometer that I am not sure if it is worth anything but we will give it the ole salt test and test it's mettle.

Has anyone any experience with these kinds of jars? I am also afraid of light seeping in. Should I cover it with a black shroud or something?

Comments

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I have one that dbeckom (Dwayne) gave me, and it works great. I keep all of my 72% RH sticks in it, and it is very easy to control the RH in. Mine sits on my desk, so I don't worry about sunlight creeping in, but I wouldn't think it would be an issue indoors.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Be sure to burp it regularly, as the one I have was a major mold factory at one time. Had to toss quite a few sticks (albeit, cheap, yard gars) as a result of this thing. I think the seal is just way too tight.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Be sure to burp it regularly, as the one I have was a major mold factory at one time. Had to toss quite a few sticks (albeit, cheap, yard gars) as a result of this thing. I think the seal is just way too tight.
    I tend to check out my cigars at least once a day. Probably not too great for RH but I am in constant fear of mold and the ever dreaded tobacco beetle.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the major mold factory. I had just a few empty cigar tubes in mine and had it sealed and later I noticed what seemed to be an invasion of the colorful fluffy stuff. I took the rubber seal off of the lid when I had gars in it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I have one....love it.
    I do burp it regularly. I use it as my "transfer" hum, and over-flow (sometimes).
    I'll transfer cigars I know I'm going to smoke in the next 2 weeks or so to the jar humi.
    Keeps me from digging around too much in the other "for smoking" humis.

• Options
    Johnny_KickassJohnny_Kickass Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I have 2 and use them for my over flow.  I've never had a problem.  i do burp them at the least every other day and i refill the round humis at the same time as needed.  no problems with mold yet. Big Smile [:D] my c.com humi holds 25 so i use that as a primary.  I have yet to put more then 15 in either of them.
  • Options
    I use one and have had good success with it. I use it to store the smokes I'm going to use in the next few weeks and to travel with. I use the round humi it comes with and have had no problems. But, humidity in my area is generally not over 40%........ever.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    FYI - I just did a transfer, as I'm expecting some sticks in a few days.
    I have 35 cigars in there now (mixed assortment, from Padilla Black Bears to Diesel Shortys)
    I can easily fit 5 to 8 more Robustos ....also have a bead tube in there.
    So it holds 40+ no problem.

• Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    docbp87:
    This. I would think your concerns and considerations for this kind of storage would be similar to that of a coolidor or tupperdor, so let some fresh air in on a weekly basis or so.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Discount store specials for me. Jars are cheaper and with A disk of Spanish cedar in the bottom your ready to go. A cigar mechanic stick works well for the humidification. And remember to burp regularly.

The short one is my dry-box jar. The tall one contains both Spanish Cedar and A Cigar Mechanic humidifier. At less than eight dollars each, its A great way to store cigars. As A bonus they're also on display.