Home Cigar 101

Need help PLEASE help

Okay so I am not on here for myself. I dont even smoke. But my boyfriend does. And I try to take an intrest in his hobbies and support him when I can. I am totally ignorant in the topic of cigars so. Please educate me. His birthday is coming up and I know he doesn't think I listen to him but I do. I would like to buy him some high quality cigars. I'm not sure on what he smokes now cause when he does either I  leave the room or he will cause he knows I hate smoke. Does anyone have any suggestions? P.S. dont make too expensive of suggestions I not trying to spend too much on him I spoil him enough if you know what I mean. But I do want him to know I appreciate him.

Comments

• TccargillTccargill Posts: 23
    If I were you and you dont know what kind of cigars he smokes I would get him a sampler. They have some excellent samplers on this site and its nice to try a few different brands and cigars every once in a while. Maybe try the 90 rated sampler or the Nicaraguan premium sampler. If you dont want a sampler so excellent cigars are Arturo Fuente Hemingway series, CAO CX2 (my favorite), Ashton, Montecristo Media Noche, the list goes on and on. Id say you would be safe with any of those. Hope that helps.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    to give you an accurate idea of what to recomend for him it would help to know what he smokes. Does he have a humidor? if not that would be an excelent gift. If he does, take a look inside and report back with some of the names of what you see. does he ever take cigars to a freinds house? a travel humidor might be in order, or a nice lighter or ashtray.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    One suggestion might be to buy him a gift certificate from www.cigar.com then he gets to choose.
  • TccargillTccargill Posts: 23
    Those are both great ideas, it really helps to know what he smokes or what he's interested in.
  • golfcigarjunkie:
    One suggestion might be to buy him a gift certificate from www.cigar.com then he gets to choose.
    Bingo! Excellent idea, can't go wrong there. Just call the 800 number on the front page of cigar.com, anyone who answers the phone can help you get a gift certificate. Also, for educating yourself, take a visit over to CigarStudent.com for different articles to help familiarize yourself with his hobby. Bless you for being supportive, I just got married, and my wife supports me as well, and it makes all the difference when it comes to enjoying my cigars. PS...my spellchecker wanted to change golfcigarjunkie to "calfskin"...lol...sorry mate!
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    "calfskin" well I never....hehe...maybe its because of the all the days I have spent golfing in the sun my skin looks like calfskin....LOL
  • handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    'calfskin' .........for the latex sensitive
  • Thank you all for the suggestions given. I appreciate them all. However, like you said I've done a little investigation. I see that yes he likes to take cigars with him when he's out on business trips so I have but the travel thingy (LOL i know i told you i was ignorant) into affect and it is on the list. But I dont want to just get him a certificate. I want it to be a personal gift. So when I looked at the cigar he did have there was a red foil label on it and all I could see was the letters R&P. So I guess I will be going with the sample cigars. You never know maybe he might find one he likes better than the current one. Oh and yes I will go to the student website to educate myself on cigars. It might come in handy when he gets a client in that likes cigars.  
  • That's a Rocky Patel cigar...does he only have 1 cigar, or is that the only one with a band on it or the only one you saw?
  • Possibly this cigar here... Rocky Patel Sun Grown
    here is a good list of samplers he will appreciate http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewsamplers.asp?subcatid=samp_var here is the traveldor i purchased for myself http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=otter+box+cigar&um=1&ie=UTF-8 i got the 5 size
    damnit I wish they would fix this formatting glitch!
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    damnit I wish they would fix this formatting glitch!
    Hear, hear!
  • I'd suggest the gift certifigate too. If you want to do something else, you could always get him a cigar pouch or something else and get it engraved or something along those lines. Just look through the accessories and make sure you don't get him something he likes.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I understand what you are saying about making it personal. I prefer when my wife gives me something other than gift certificates. It takes more thought and I appreciate that. So my suggestion would be a travel humidor and maybe a Rocky Patel sampler. Also, a nice lighter or cutter too. You could even have the lighter or cutter engraved if you want to make it even more special.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro! Shame on you @firehouseguy.  Resist! 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."