Home Cigar 101
Options

damn bags

asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
ok, out of room in my humidor (damn), dont have room to put a coolidor in the apartment yet (double damn), filled up my biggest tupperware (triple damn), and have bunches of cigars in cigar.com bags with little humi-care packets in them (quadruple damn!). how long can i keep the cigars in those bags? i will have to open them up a few times a week to get some air in the bags right? anything else i should know?

Comments

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    You can pick up a nice tupperware container that will hold as many sticks as 5-10 bags for under $10......that's what I'd do......or get over-sized zip-lock freezer bags.
    Ccom bags are OK - but I would not "store" sticks in them for more than a few days.<br.<br.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    yup, but I will add this.. Though I don't recommend it, I gave a cao mx2 to a friend, and 6months (possibly longer) he pulled it out of his pandry and smoked it. Well while we smoked I noticed something, it got lit once, and almost till the last 1/3rd burned almost perfect. Mean while the cigar I was smoking had some burn problems. So there you have it. Was the cigar dried out... sort of. It did burn well too. Sort of kills the idea of a humi.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Sounds like you need a new end table!! If you have an excess amount of cigars that are causing problems, you can send them to me! I'll take reeeeaaaal good care of them!
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    asianbiker8:
    ok, out of room in my humidor (damn), dont have room to put a coolidor in the apartment yet (double damn), filled up my biggest tupperware (triple damn), and have bunches of cigars in cigar.com bags with little humi-care packets in them (quadruple damn!). how long can i keep the cigars in those bags? i will have to open them up a few times a week to get some air in the bags right? anything else i should know?
    I use humi pillows almost exclusively (I do have some pg/dw soaked foam as well. Just stick the pillows in a separate zip lock bag (un sealed of course) just to be safe. My big 'Ol sterlite bin with weather stripping around the top holds solid. Others don't use them but they work like a champ for me in summer and winter.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I have excess like that, I just smoke 'em.

Gallon zip lock bags with a humi pillow works pretty well.................
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Use the biggest freezer bags you can find and spend the $5 on a Boveda pack. The higher number of sticks and the 2 way capability of the Boveda pack will maintain MUCH better RH than a small bag w/a water pillow.

simple and effective!
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I would go the cheap tupperware rroute (walmart) or go with a cooler. A cooler might sound a bit big, but it really isn't. I bought a nice coleman 48 qts back in 2010 and have it sitting in my home office. It barely takes up any room. Does it go with the furniture? No. Does it store my sticks perfectly? Yes! I use around 3/4 lbs. of beads in mine. But, if you can't get beads right away us the pillows. I used 5-6 in there when I first bought it and it worked nicely. I just had to keep an eye on the RH every two days (the pillows dried out quick).

Rob
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'd keep them in the bags with the humi pillows and smoke out of your humidor. As space in the humidor becomes available rotate your cigars from the bag(s) into the humidor, give them a few weeks to acclimate and they're ready to smoke.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Get to smokin'!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I have about 1/2 lb of beads (70%) you can have bro. Me and Jorge are meeting at hoffers on the 14th - I can hand them off then if you want to join us.
  • Options
    Hoffer's on the 14th huh, i'll see what the wife and I are doing. Today I found a cooler that I like. Have to save up the money for it, and i'm going to get 2 lbs of 65% beads. Thanks for the offer of your beads though James.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    No worries, I'm wanting to go down to 65% myself.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I'd keep them in the bags with the humi pillows and smoke out of your humidor. As space in the humidor becomes available rotate your cigars from the bag(s) into the humidor, give them a few weeks to acclimate and they're ready to smoke.
    This is what I have done in the past ... Worked for me.
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I didn't see this mentioned yet, so just be sure to get fresh air into the bags from time to time (weekly is a good choice) to avoid mold issues when doing this for longer periods of time.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been opening them up every few days