Home General Discussion

Best cutter

I have a decent cutter but it seems to be kind of hit or miss. It is a V cutter and on smaller cigars it does well but on larger ring gauges it sometimes causes crack or flaking or damages the wrapper so that it starts to unravel.
I need a better cutter for larger ring gauges. I like to smoke 60 ring gauges and the V cutter just barely fits these. I also have to generate a lot of finger strength to fully slice through the cigar and get a good even cut.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a better cutter. Money being no obstacle. I am willing to pay good money for a cutter since I hate to ruin a good high dollar cigar with a sub par cut. I have also been looking into scissors and spring loaded cutters. Could these solve my problems?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im a big fan of anything by Xikar. those are the only cutters i use. they feel great in my hand (though some dont like the shape) and they have a warranty that just wont quit (literally, its a lifetime no questions asked warranty)

of course i may be a bit biased because i seem to be the resident Xikar ****. im even starting in on Xikar apparel.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    It is generally accepted and as kuzi said that Xikar is the best brand of cutters out there.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my Xikar scissors. In fact, I have 2 as 1 is for travel and 1 is for home.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Another for Xikar.
  • bandyt09:
    I love my Xikar scissors. In fact, I have 2 as 1 is for travel and 1 is for home.
    How big of a ring gauge will these accommodate?
    rudel.dietrich:
    bandyt09:
    The pair I have says 54 but I usually never "cut" the top of my cigars, I just score the cap and "peel" it off.
  • bandyt09:
    rudel.dietrich:
    bandyt09:
    The pair I have says 54 but I usually never "cut" the top of my cigars, I just score the cap and "peel" it off.
    I have the motor skills of a toddler so I need something that will just make a clean cut :D
  • JayoJayo Posts: 76
    I have a cutter from Cohiba that I bought on Ebay. This one can cut 56 ring guage without any problem. 56 were the thickest one that I tried so far, but it does great job. It does not take much force to get clean cut.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    can't believe I'm the first person to suggest this in this thread... but...

CUBAN CRAFTERS PERFECT CUT!!

completely foolproof and cuts like a dream! Plus they have a lifetime replacement warranty! Can't go wrong!

...oh, and did I mention they are only about $13 online...!!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I still use the black $5 one from Ccom. never had a problem with it.
    One God, One Truth
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    i have a double blade 1.99 cutter lol. Seems to be getting dull though
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I love my Xikar Xi. Started with a cheap store cutter and it kept **** up the caps .
  • Palio !
    rudel.dietrich:
    bandyt09:
    rudel.dietrich:
    bandyt09:
    I have the motor skills of a toddler so I need something that will just make a clean cut :D
    So you are pretty much more skilled than I am, LOL.

Have you ever considered a punch on your larger ring cigars? I use a clover leaf pattern on them and it works great.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I loved my xikar till I found Cuban crafters perfect cut. Love my cutter and half the cost of a xikar.

"Long ashes my friends."

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    im a big fan of anything by Xikar. those are the only cutters i use. they feel great in my hand (though some dont like the shape) and they have a warranty that just wont quit (literally, its a lifetime no questions asked warranty)

of course i may be a bit biased because i seem to be the resident Xikar ****. im even starting in on Xikar apparel.
    just don't go showing up any undies...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    rudel.dietrich:
    bandyt09:
    rudel.dietrich:
    bandyt09:
    So you are pretty much more skilled than I am, LOL.

Have you ever considered a punch on your larger ring cigars? I use a clover leaf pattern on them and it works great.
    I have two punches and love them. One is the i7 from Ixkar the other is their i8. The 8 is used for larger ring cigars. I only use my cutter for torps or pigtail caps.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I have multiple Xikar, Palio, cheap-os, no names and the ONLY one I suggest is the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter! See all my reviews of them on the site. I also have a comparison video.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Cuban Crafters is the way to go for me. Perfect cut every time. I have a Xikar that I keep in the car that works fine also, feels awkward sometimes though.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Thinkin I''m gonna pick up a punch and give it a try.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    As great at the Perfect Cutter is, I like the complete control I have cutting with scissors, so the XiKar MTX multitool is my favorite. I also use the crap out of my Palio.
  • I am ordering the Cuban Crafters. It cuts up to a ring gauge of 60 and as soon as I read that I realized it was exactly what I was looking for.

I have used the punch method before and I just don't get enough of a draw no matter the shape or style or size of the punch. Maybe it is just my weak girly man lungs :D
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    rudel.dietrich:
    I am ordering the Cuban Crafters. It cuts up to a ring gauge of 60 and as soon as I read that I realized it was exactly what I was looking for.

I have used the punch method before and I just don't get enough of a draw no matter the shape or style or size of the punch. Maybe it is just my weak girly man lungs :D
    great choice. Can't go wrong with it!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    I know I have said it once but Ill say its again...love my Cuban Crafters Stainless Steel Perfecto Cigar Cutter. Handles everything I have thrown at it. Not super expensive and does a great job. The warranty appears to be solid as well but hope I don't have to use it but its piece of mind knowing that I have it in case its needed. Just my .02
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    flayankee:
    Palio !
    this is a great cutter as well. If i didnt LOVE the shape of the Xi series then this is the cutter i would get.
    serious quality there.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    rudel.dietrich:
    I am ordering the Cuban Crafters. It cuts up to a ring gauge of 60 and as soon as I read that I realized it was exactly what I was looking for.

You won't be sorry, if you PM I'll tell you where I got mine ($16)

"Long ashes my friends."