Home Ratings & Reviews

I'm normally a Gurkha fan, but...

ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
So, I decided that the Gurkha Status torpedo nestled comfortably in my humi would make a good addition to the cup of freshly ground and brewed Sumatran coffee I was enjoying this morning. Nice earthy aroma before lighting it up. Just a tad firm on the draw, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Hints of cedar and just a little fruity when I toasted the foot. Excellent, I thought to myself. When I put flame to it for the light I thought I would gag!! Nothing but raw, green tobacco taste... I managed to finish just under half the stick before I tossed it. Such a shame.
Can't blame it on the humi, cruising along at a groovy 68% humidity. Guess I just happened upon the **** of the bunch. Fortunately for me, the Swag Ego I'm having is making up for the mishap this morning. Maybe another one with some age will change my mind about trying them again.

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    So, I decided that the Gurkha Status torpedo nestled comfortably in my humi would make a good addition to the cup of freshly ground and brewed Sumatran coffee I was enjoying this morning. Nice earthy aroma before lighting it up. Just a tad firm on the draw, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Hints of cedar and just a little fruity when I toasted the foot. Excellent, I thought to myself. When I put flame to it for the light I thought I would gag!! Nothing but raw, green tobacco taste... I managed to finish just under half the stick before I tossed it. Such a shame.
    Can't blame it on the humi, cruising along at a groovy 68% humidity. Guess I just happened upon the **** of the bunch. Fortunately for me, the Swag Ego I'm having is making up for the mishap this morning. Maybe another one with some age will change my mind about trying them again.
    Thats what I would call lawn clippngs.....That sucks!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Yup, it did. But, like I said, the Swag made it all better. The draw on the Swag was almost too easy for my liking, though. Apparently it doesn't matter how long these babies sit in the humi they still seem a bit dry. Nice even burn with plenty of thick smoke. Stayed cool for the entire stick. Only thing I didn't like was a bit of an ammonia taste when I got down to the nub. Otherwise, one damn fine smoke.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ya got Gurkha'ed brother - dont feel bad, it happens to all of us at one point or another. Learn from it, remember it, and press on... :-)

• dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    This is just one brand I do not smoke. Never got into them and never will really.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    The only Gurkha I've enjoyed tremendously so far is the Ancient Warrior... that's a really good maduro. If any of you are maduro fans you owe it to yourself to try one out. I had the robusto though, not the huge presidente I see for sale on ccom and CI.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The one Gurkha stick that I really loved was the Genghis Khan. What a good smoke. DOn't think they are available anymore.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    i smoked a gurkha status a few months, back tasted alot like the gurkha beauty. sounds like you got a bad stick.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    415:
    i smoked a gurkha status a few months, back tasted alot like the gurkha beauty. sounds like you got a bad stick.

I've had the Beauty, Beast, Black Dragon, Legend and their European Selection and liked them all. Guess I "lucked out" with the **** of the batch... Oh well.