Home General Discussion
Options

Lighting technique...

So I was browsing the CA video section and ran across the one about lighting a cigar with three matches. In summary, you toast with the first, then light with the second two, both before cutting the cigar. Then, after quickly cutting the cigar, blowing out through it to make sure the light is red hot and even and clear out any unwanted flavors that may have gotten in your cigar despite lighting before cutting.

I tried this (with a lighter instead of matches) and it ended up resulting in a pretty darn even burn. The humidity in my humi has been a little wack the past week or so, so it might not be the best basis for comparison, but it certainly makes me intrigued to try it again to see if it consistently improves the evenness of the burn or has any noticeable impact on flavor.

Has anyone else tried this lighting method to improved results?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This is how I light my cigars as well, the lighter method, not with matches. I too saw that video and I was very impressed with it. After watching that video, the pre-cut light is the way I go and it has not failed me yet... only some cigars have failed me.

Joe
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i cut with a punch. this increases my chances of burning myself because of how i have to hold the cigar on the cut. If i do matches thats the way i go but i almost never go that path.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Please explain to me how cutting the head could possibly affect the light? I don't buy this at all. I light exactly how you guys just explained with a single flame torch but I cut the head first. I blow through my cigar after lighting and regularly while smoking it because that makes sense, you are pushing air and smoke out of the cigar. Cutting the head after lighting doesn't make any sense. Cigars are capped to keep air from flowing through them and drying them out. THe only possible thing I can see in cutting post light is that no air would be pulled throught the stick but even if that happened what would it affect? The air would not blow from foot to head it would blow head to foot bc the fire would pull air towards it. Therefore, it would have the same affect as blowing through the stick. This theory makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    Idunno... all I know is that I tried it and it seemed to work pretty well. I plan on testing it some more after I get over this sinus nonsense, so we'll see if it was just luck or not.
  • Options
    Try the exact same technique with and without cutting the head and let me know what you think. I'll test it as well but my opinion could be skewed bc I'm not buying it.
  • Options
    I have a very simple answer to your question madurofan. The cigar smoking experience, including the lighting and cutting, is about preference and nothing more. I prefer to light then cut, therefore its what I do. All about the ritual I suppose, as I've got no good reason why my way is better than your way.

Joe
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive been thinking about this one. im not sure if i can explain it or if its right but here goes....

if you put a straw in a wind tunnel the air will go right through it. if you block off the end that is on the opposite side from where the wind is originating, it creates a cylindar of air. air does not go through it and there is little exchange withing the straw.
    if you apply this to a cigar you end up with char not going into the cigar before you draw off of it. it keeps chemicals out.

iduno jsut a thought. not sure if its right.
  • Options
    Joe, as strictly a ritual its understandable. Preference is prefence, I'm good with that. Nothing I can't stand more than someone telling me how to enjoy my cigar but as far as a practical reason for doing it I don't see one.
    Kuzi, your theory makes sense but the fire at the end would be drawing anything from the cigar towards the flame the only thing it would pull into the cigar would be outside air which like I said before is the same as blowing through it after its lit. I don't see the point in it for any reason other than preference. Plus everything I've found online says to cut then light including the pretentious Cigar Afiiciando.
  • Options
    I think you're doing what I do quite often: trying to apply logic where none is to be had. I see no practical reasoning for doing it one way or the other. To me it is no more or less efficient to cut then light than to light then cut, as I would light the cigar the same way regardless.

My point is simple: if you have time to over think this trivial matter, then you are wasting precious cigar smoking time, so grab up a good stick and smoke it....anyway you like :)

Joe
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I think you're doing what I do quite often: trying to apply logic where none is to be had. I see no practical reasoning for doing it one way or the other. To me it is no more or less efficient to cut then light than to light then cut, as I would light the cigar the same way regardless.

My point is simple: if you have time to over think this trivial matter, then you are wasting precious cigar smoking time, so grab up a good stick and smoke it....anyway you like :)

Joe

Damn it joe, you're right and I hate it. LOL
  • Options
    I'm just in a crappy mood. I'd been looking forward to a cigar all day and finally plucked a Alec Bradley Maxx out of the humi and it was by far the worst cigar I've smoked in a very long time.
  • Options
    carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    I have not tired this method even after seeing this video I want to try it. Maybe I will try this next time I smoke one cause i'm kidda excited to see what happens.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I'm just in a crappy mood. I'd been looking forward to a cigar all day and finally plucked a Alec Bradley Maxx out of the humi and it was by far the worst cigar I've smoked in a very long time.
    Sorry to hear that. I've found that the MAXX has a huge problem with the draw... at least the ones I got a while ago (the Curve size)... the MAXX Ltd. I got in one of the CotMC packages was a better, but it's also twice as much, which shouldn't be the case just to get a cigar with decent draw. The sad part is that the MAXX actually has some really nice flavor, ya just gotta a'splode-a-lung to get it.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Sorry to hear that. I've found that the MAXX has a huge problem with the draw... at least the ones I got a while ago (the Curve size)... the MAXX Ltd. I got in one of the CotMC packages was much better, but it's also twice as much, which shouldn't be the case just to get a cigar with decent draw. The sad part is that the MAXX actually has some really nice flavor, ya just gotta asplode-a-lung to get it.
  • Options
    Mine drew ok it just had absolutely no flavor. A hint of earthy cedar but that was it.
  • Options
    I felt the same way about the cigar I had yesterday, a Camacho Havana... now I don't know if it was just too fresh or what it was, but the cigar was just harsh and nothing else. Excellent draw and burn, but I'd trade both for good flavor.
  • Options
    Well so far I've tried this on one "fresh from the B&M" cigar (CAO Brazilia Cariocas) and two I had resting for a few months (Cusano 18 Double Connecticut toro and Indian Tabac Nonpareil Habano toro). Each time it has produced a very even burn, noticeably more so than other cigars I've smoked recently without using that technique. It's still up in the air since they weren't the same cigars, but either way I'm starting to be a believer in this technique. I'll have to try it on some cigars I've had problems with previously before making a final conclusion, though.

I guess bottom line is it's still a matter of preference based on personal experience, but it's yielded good results for me so far, so I'd recommend giving it a shot if one hasn't already.
  • Options

I just smoked a The Curve (Torpedo) for the 1st time at the weekend whilst watching the NFL play-offs.    I have to say it smoked like a dream, it lasted more than 2 quarters of football. (about 90 mins). My new guy at Cigar.Com recommended The Curve.  For me its a top cigar, big, with a great draw and flavours. I did remove most of the cap.  It Sits in the mouth really well. I really want a box now.