Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Just bought some new Bourbon to try.

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
I figured I would grab some Basil Hayden's Bourbon and see how it is. Anyone tried it before?
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's on my list to try but I haven't yet. It's rated as a 4-star, though, so it should be good.

There's an app for bourbon - I think I found it through bourbonenthusiast.com if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've had it; it's very good bourbon, but not my favorite.

Woodford Reserve
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Russels Reserve

We live in the heart of Kentucky Bourbon country, most of the major distilleries are within 40 miles of my house, and 50% are within 25 miles, so, I've developed a taste for good Kentucky Whiskey. Give any one of those a try and see what you think.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    One of the top two i've tried....that and Woodford Reserve.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Have you had an Old Grand-Dad lately?
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Ive been loving some Willett Bourbon lately. Super smooth.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I've had basil Hayden's, which I believe is distilled by Jim beam? I liked it. It was very good, but I really prefered pappy van winkles, which is definitely the best bourbon I've had. Right now I'm drinking through a bottle of Bastille, a French whisky...it's ok, but nothing like the bourbons I'm used to.
  • Options
    French whiskey??? Phwww!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Basil Hayden is indeed a Jim Beam product, along with Knob Creek, Booker's, and Baker's. Of the Jim Beam "Small Batch" collection, Booker's and Baker's are the two worth sipping IMO. Basil Hayden has a really distinct floral, herbal, even minty character to it, and is very light in body compared to a lot of Bourbon.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Basil Hayden is indeed a Jim Beam product, along with Knob Creek, Booker's, and Baker's. Of the Jim Beam "Small Batch" collection, Booker's and Baker's are the two worth sipping IMO. Basil Hayden has a really distinct floral, herbal, even minty character to it, and is very light in body compared to a lot of Bourbon.

I just finished reading a handful of reviews of this bourbon and the consensus seems to be that you're exactly right - it's pretty light in body. Maybe I'll take it off my list of bourbons to try. I prefer a bit more body to my bourbon. Maker's Mark, good though it is, is too light in body for my taste. Thanks for the heads-up, Doc.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Lately I've been enjoying Bulleit as a really good, reasonably priced, bourbon.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    JSaint:
    I figured I would grab some Basil Hayden's Bourbon and see how it is. Anyone tried it before?
    easily a favorite of mine... right on the cusp of being high end, but still affordable enough to always have on hand... love it with the Whiskey Stones
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    docbp87:

I just finished reading a handful of reviews of this bourbon and the consensus seems to be that you're exactly right - it's pretty light in body. Maybe I'll take it off my list of bourbons to try. I prefer a bit more body to my bourbon. Maker's Mark, good though it is, is too light in body for my taste. Thanks for the heads-up, Doc.
    Makers Mark is too sweet for my taste. If you're looking for something a little heavier than the Basil, give the Woodford Reserve or the Elijah Craig 18 year a try, also, the Russel's Reserve 10 year would be well worth the effort. Russel is the Master Distiller for Wild Turkey, and his 10 year bourbon has gotten some very high ratings, AND it's not expensive.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    docbp87:

Makers Mark is too sweet for my taste. If you're looking for something a little heavier than the Basil, give the Woodford Reserve or the Elijah Craig 18 year a try, also, the Russel's Reserve 10 year would be well worth the effort. Russel is the Master Distiller for Wild Turkey, and his 10 year bourbon has gotten some very high ratings, AND it's not expensive.

All very good choices. The Maker's Mark doesn't taste sweet to me but it's milder - at least to my particular taste buds. It's a 'wheated' bourbon, though, so that probably accounts for the mildness.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The only bourbon that I'v tried tasted like finger nail polish remover.
    I was not a fan, can't remember the name.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Are you sure it was a bourbon? Or possibly a blend of some kind?
  • Options
    I found the bottle online and it was W. L. Weller.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Well, that's certainly listed on my bourbon app. It's another one I haven't tried, though. The app lists 5 different blends of it. Of course they also list Jack Daniels - and we all know that's not bourbon. That's one of my peeves with that app. Anyway, I'm surprised you had a bad experience with it. Most straight bourbons make pretty fair sipping whiskey.
  • Options
    badandy24badandy24 Posts: 41
    I found a great Canadian whiskey in my travels called Pendleton. I love my Crown but this stuff is real good.
    Andy

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer."
    — Maj. I. L. Holdridge | Retired
  • Options
    Yeah, I just took a little sip and brother I did not want another. I have not had too much experience with alcohol, I like rum and vodka, but trying to branch out from there can be disastrous, especially when there is not a store anywhere around me.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Interesting. William L Weller is good stuff IMO. William Larue Weller (part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection) is some of the best Bourbon on earth though. I recently found out that my Grandmother's family on my Mom's side had several members that were long-time employees at the Stitzel-Weller distillery, which was responsible for some of the finest Bourbons ever made (Van Winkle!), which sort of sparked a recent obsession with Bourbon. Been digging all of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, the Van Winkle stuff (Pappy 15 is manna from heaven, haven't had either of the older two), and as for regularly available stuff, Booker's, Baker's, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig 12 are favorites.

One of the best review sites I have found is Sour Mash Manifesto
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Interesting. William L Weller is good stuff IMO. William Larue Weller (part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection) is some of the best Bourbon on earth though. I recently found out that my Grandmother's family on my Mom's side had several members that were long-time employees at the Stitzel-Weller distillery, which was responsible for some of the finest Bourbons ever made (Van Winkle!), which sort of sparked a recent obsession with Bourbon. Been digging all of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, the Van Winkle stuff (Pappy 15 is manna from heaven, haven't had either of the older two), and as for regularly available stuff, Booker's, Baker's, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig 12 are favorites.

Interesting site, Doc. Thanks.
  • Options
    docbp87:

The Buffalo Trace distillery is about 17 miles from my house, and they have the best tour of any of the local distilleries. I've got a bottle of Pappy 23 year old (I'm embarassed to say what it cost, had it about 4 years now and I've got about 3/4 of the bottle left). The Eagle Rare is very good bourbon - one of my favorites, and if you like the Elijah Craig 12 year, you REALLY owe it to yourself to get a bottle of the 18 year. All the flavors are still there from the 12 year, but more intense, and one hell of a lot smoother. It's probably my favorite mid-priced bourbon. Jefferson's Reserve is in that same class, but for the money, I think it's hard to beat the Elijah Craig 18 year.
  • Options
    JDH:
    if you like the Elijah Craig 12 year, you REALLY owe it to yourself to get a bottle of the 18 year. All the flavors are still there from the 12 year, but more intense, and one hell of a lot smoother. It's probably my favorite mid-priced bourbon. Jefferson's Reserve is in that same class, but for the money, I think it's hard to beat the Elijah Craig 18 year.

And that's where I gotta disagree. It IS smoother, and it is more intense... in a way. I think it is intensely more tannic, and just has too much barrel to it IMO. Just like how Scotches over a certain age can sometimes just taste too woody, where they lose everything but the taste of the wood they are aged in, I tend to agree with the sentiment that rye heavy Bourbons tend to suffer from this phenomenon after a certain point. In fact, Jason Pyle, from the site I posted above, SMM, has a good video where he compares the two Elijah Craigs, and I pretty much agree with his assessment. One thing that can't be denied though is what an amazing bargain BOTH Elijah Craig whiskies are. Here in Virginia at least, I think the 12 goes for like 25 bucks, and the 18 goes for 35 or 40, which for any spirit with that kind of age is an awesome price. It always baffles me what a horrible business model you have to suffer with to produce aged spirits. Imagine having all of your money tied up for 12 years before you can sell any of your product?! Or in the case of Pappy, 23 years!? LOL.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Just popped it open today. Sore throat and all and this stuff was still smooooooth. I like it. I poured some Ginger Ale in with it after a few sips as well and it still pushed through it. Good stuff. Ill check out that like for the Manifesto you posted Doc before I buy something else =).
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    if you like the Elijah Craig 12 year, you REALLY owe it to yourself to get a bottle of the 18 year. All the flavors are still there from the 12 year, but more intense, and one hell of a lot smoother. It's probably my favorite mid-priced bourbon. Jefferson's Reserve is in that same class, but for the money, I think it's hard to beat the Elijah Craig 18 year.

And that's where I gotta disagree. It IS smoother, and it is more intense... in a way. I think it is intensely more tannic, and just has too much barrel to it IMO. Just like how Scotches over a certain age can sometimes just taste too woody, where they lose everything but the taste of the wood they are aged in, I tend to agree with the sentiment that rye heavy Bourbons tend to suffer from this phenomenon after a certain point. In fact, Jason Pyle, from the site I posted above, SMM, has a good video where he compares the two Elijah Craigs, and I pretty much agree with his assessment. One thing that can't be denied though is what an amazing bargain BOTH Elijah Craig whiskies are. Here in Virginia at least, I think the 12 goes for like 25 bucks, and the 18 goes for 35 or 40, which for any spirit with that kind of age is an awesome price. It always baffles me what a horrible business model you have to suffer with to produce aged spirits. Imagine having all of your money tied up for 12 years before you can sell any of your product?! Or in the case of Pappy, 23 years!? LOL.
    That's a perfect illustration of why all taste is subjective, Doc. Personally, I love the 18 year, and it's rare for a bottle to be missing from my liquor cabinet. It also explains why there are so many choices when it comes to whiskey, and wine, and cigars. Once we figure out what quality is, we all still have uniquely differing preferences. You're right about the value. For moderately priced bourbons, they are both exceptional, IMO.

There's a little known jewel of a bourbon called Russel's Reserve. Russel is the Master Distiller for Wild Turkey, and he's been with them for a long time. He's crafted this 10 year old bourbon, and it has received tons of awards and very high ratings, and it's not an expensive bourbon. If you're new to bourbon, or are looking for a near perfect bourbon at a terrific price, you should pick up a bottle.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    JZ just got me a bottle of JD 160th Anniversary. Since they will not be making it again, guess I can't drink it!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    JZ just got me a bottle of JD 160th Anniversary. Since they will not be making it again, guess I can't drink it!
    Jack Daniels is not Bourbon. It's a Tennessee attempt to imitate Bourbon. If you can't drink that rotgut, just send it to me and I'll give it a fitting ceremonial burial.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    My brother, a close friend, and I get together to do spirit reviews:

http://raiseyourspirits.wordpress.com/

If you need help making a decision you can either read some reviews there, or ask me. I am always interested in helping people find good spirits.

As for Basil Haydens, it is one of the bourbons I truly despise; it's far too sweet for me. If you are looking for a "bang for your buck" bourbon that offers truly exceptional quality at a non-exclusive price check out these bourbons (starting with the best):
    Eagle Rare
    Bakers
    Buffalo Trace
    Bulleit
    Elijah Craig 12
    Evan Williams Single Barrel (2000 bottling)

The most expensive of those is Baker's - which will run you about 35 dollars, depending on where you are. Eagle Rare should be less than 27 dollars, and will blow most 50 dollar bottles out of the water; it's one of the best bourbons you'll ever have. There is a bar close to me that sells it by the glass for 10 dollars, when the bottle runs for 26 regularly lol.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    My brother, a close friend, and I get together to do spirit reviews: http://raiseyourspirits.wordpress.com/ If you need help making a decision you can either read some reviews there, or ask me. I am always interested in helping people find good spirits. As for Basil Haydens, it is one of the bourbons I truly despise; it's far too sweet for me. If you are looking for a "bang for your buck" bourbon that offers truly exceptional quality at a non-exclusive price check out these bourbons (starting with the best): Eagle Rare Bakers Buffalo Trace Bulleit Elijah Craig 12 Evan Williams Single Barrel (2000 bottling) The most expensive of those is Baker's - which will run you about 35 dollars, depending on where you are. Eagle Rare should be less than 27 dollars, and will blow most 50 dollar bottles out of the water; it's one of the best bourbons you'll ever have. There is a bar close to me that sells it by the glass for 10 dollars, when the bottle runs for 26 regularly lol.

I've tried Buffalo Trace and Bulleit and, to my taste, they're only so-so. And I don't do single barrels of any kind any more after a terrible experience with some Elmer T. Lee. Just my opinion......
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    PLEASE try Eagle Rare 10 - if you like bourbon, you will like that spirit. Buffalo Trace and Bulleit are more along the lines for a cocktail, whereas Bakers or Eagle Rare are perfect on their own.