Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Oak Aged Beer

Anyone try it? I have been sipping some Innus & Gunn Rum Cask lately and its AMAZING. Fruity, light, crisp, cleans the pallet for that next puff off my cigar. 7.4% ABV but the barrel aging really blends the whole thing perfectly and rounds it out. Anyone else try any beer that has been aged in barrels?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    No, I watched the BBC Gordon Ramsey show (can't remember the name) but he made his own Oak aged beer. He installed a unit in his house. Looks so damn good. Did you get the beer from a B&M or online?
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I actually sell it at the store I work in. We tend to carry all kinds of crazy and high end stuff. I think Total wine or Fresh Market carry it iirc.

It's amazingly smooth and very tasty. I enjoy pairing it with maduro smokes as it compliments the sweetness VERY well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm going to go check tomorrow and try this. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Oaked Arrogant B a s t a r d by Stone Brewery is incredible.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    If you like micro brew amber ale and good Kentucky bourbon, you ought to try this:

http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

From their webpage:

"Award winning Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is a unique sipping beer with the distinctive nose of a well-crafted bourbon. Our Kentucky Ale is aged for up to 6 weeks in freshly decanted bourbon barrels from some of Kentucky’s finest distilleries.

Subtle yet familiar flavors of vanilla and oak are imparted to this special ale as it rests in the charred barrels. Pleasantly smooth and robust, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale may also be served as an aperitif or after dinner drink. "

Have one (or two, or three) with an Oliva V maduro. Frickin heaven.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    If you like micro brew amber ale and good Kentucky bourbon, you ought to try this:
    Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Have one (or two, or three) with an Oliva V maduro. Frickin heaven.
    Agreed!
    I've had this one on tap a couple times on tap at the bar and I swear it tastes better everytime I try it. I never thought of having it with a cigar though, normally I do IPA with cigars.....I'll have to grab a (4?) pack and give this one a try with a good cigar.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Barrel aged beers are becoming the next big thing in micro brewing. The idea has been around for a while now, but lots of breweries are starting to realize the transformation a beer undergoes and how they can use this process to impart certain flavors into their beer. By using old bourbon barrels (most common), they can impart vanilla, caramel, toast, boozy bourbon and dark, ripe fruit notes into the beer.

Innis & Gunn make some great barrel aged beers. I'd also urge you to look for Goose Island Bourbon County, Founders makes a few barrel aged beers (including their famous KBS) and Firestone Walker have a few - Parabola, Abacus (now renamed to Sucaba) and their anniversary releases. Mikkeller also did a barrel aged series of their Black Hole Stout that I just had at a tasting. The differences each barrel gave to the beer were incredible.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I'm not a big fan of the Oaked and barrel aged beers. One that I do like is Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Makes me really want to do this...you know, just to use the barrel for homebrew, of course...

Jack Daniel's Buy the Barrel
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    For my Midwest Borks I highly suggest Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Quad. Drink slowly because it is an eye popping 11.5 ABV
  • Options
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    For my Midwest Borks I highly suggest Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Quad. Drink slowly because it is an eye popping 11.5 ABV
    That stuff is awesome but pretty tough to find. I managed two bottles before it disappeared. Pairs really well with roasted or grilled meat.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Rob1110:
    Barrel aged beers are becoming the next big thing in micro brewing. The idea has been around for a while now, but lots of breweries are starting to realize the transformation a beer undergoes and how they can use this process to impart certain flavors into their beer. By using old bourbon barrels (most common), they can impart vanilla, caramel, toast, boozy bourbon and dark, ripe fruit notes into the beer.

Innis & Gunn make some great barrel aged beers. I'd also urge you to look for Goose Island Bourbon County, Founders makes a few barrel aged beers (including their famous KBS) and Firestone Walker have a few - Parabola, Abacus (now renamed to Sucaba) and their anniversary releases. Mikkeller also did a barrel aged series of their Black Hole Stout that I just had at a tasting. The differences each barrel gave to the beer were incredible.
    Going to look into those!