Home General Discussion

cigar of the month club questions.

Hey I'm new here and fairly new to cigars in general.  I have ordered from cigar.com recently and also a while ago and have been extremely pleased with the service and care put into their packaging.  Basically I thought that the cigar of the month club would be a great way for me to test out a bunch of varieties without the headache of doing tons of research and then drawing a blank as soon as i walk into the giant cigar stores and get bombarded with options.  Before I bite the bullet and join up I was wondering if anyone here has joined the COTM club that is advertised on page 5 of the printed mailer from cigar.com, and if they would be willing to comment on the value of such a club and the continuing quality of selection over time.  The AD says that your first installment is guarenteed a retail value of $100.00. Obviously this would be impossible to maintain over time and make any money soooo I was wondering what people were getting in their first installments that make the retail value over $100.00 and what people were recieving in their follow up installments.  I would really appreciate any comments that anyone has to offer.  Thanks guys.

-adam

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Adam,

First, welcome. The COTMC is definetly worth it for someone who is trying to discover what they like or just try different things. Sometimes its a great value others times its about what you'd pay if you just bought them but in the time I was a member it was never not worth the money. I just discovered what I liked and had too many cigars on hand anyways.

The first month is always the same for everyone, it is five very high end Gurkha cigars. Keep in mind they have a MSRP of $100 but you could easily get them for less than that but probably not for as cheap as the COTMC is.

General consensus is that its a good deal and if you're looking to expand your horizons ... go for it.
  • Very cool. It really does seem like a great deal and prevents me from dragging the wifey into the Corona store for 45 minutes while i browse the same stogies over and over again. Then I can go in with a better Idea of what I like and keep the visits down to 30 Minutes of ogling the expensive stogies and dropping hints to the wife for b-day presents. In any case, thanks for the quick reply :)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    No problem. Glad it was useful.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm a satisfied member...for exactly the reasons Maddy said. I'm less than a year into this cigar habit and I didn't know what my tastes were...so this is helping me experience quite a bit. They're not always great, but more often than not, I end up being a big fan of at least two or three of the five...and the others are decent, just maybe not my speed.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have been pleased with my experiences with the COTM, the folks at Ccom have done a tremendous job lately of putting out some good groups of sticks. Like Luko, I find myself liking a decent portion of the sticks they send out and have been led to more purchases because of it. I think their plan is working on me. I'm happy about it.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The discount is darn handy, too.
  • I ordered the doubled up COTM club subscription. Does anyone know how that is gonna work? Will I get the five premium cigars the first month as well as five other cigars?
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    dafeesh:
    I ordered the doubled up COTM club subscription. Does anyone know how that is gonna work? Will I get the five premium cigars the first month as well as five other cigars?

I pretty sure you'll get a double dose of every COTM club shipment
    urbino:
    The discount is darn handy, too.

I echo that sentiment...especially on the great deals they constantly tempt us with.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dafeesh:
    I ordered the doubled up COTM club subscription. Does anyone know how that is gonna work? Will I get the five premium cigars the first month as well as five other cigars?
    Yeah.. It will be two of each cigar offered in the regular membership. Five different sticks. Find a friend and share/compare.