Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Wooohooo ... How 'bout them Redskins!

2»

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Opinions on Ginn vary widely. Some people still think he's going to be a superstar. I don't see it. He's got great speed, but only in a straight line. He can't juke anybody, and he goes down immediately on first contact. He's not even a good kick returner, which is why he lost that job last season.

I dunno. Maybe I'm too hard on the kid. I guess this season will be the tell; their third season seems to be the make-or-break year with WRs.
    madurofan:
    It is a ton of money but one thing the Redskins never seem to have is salary cap issues. Our cap guy is AMAZING.
    Maybe so. That kind of thing would make me nervous, though. I remember everybody saying the same thing about the Niners' salary cap management back in the early-mid '90s.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    It is a ton of money but one thing the Redskins never seem to have is salary cap issues. Our cap guy is AMAZING.
    Maybe so. That kind of thing would make me nervous, though. I remember everybody saying the same thing about the Niners' salary cap management back in the early-mid '90s.
    I don't love it and a lot of the guys the pay big money to baffle me but aside from Brandon Lloyd none of them have really caused us any major cap issues.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Theres always a lot of discussion about Colts safty Bob Sanders and is he worth what the Colts pay him with his injury history but theres no doubt he is an eraser and game changer...the entire defense has a swagger when he's in the game and I'm not sure I've ever seen a more fearless safety ...which results in his being injured a lot ...I don't think he would back down from the devil if he had on the other teams uniform...
  • Options
    Yeah, Sanders is a game-changer, definitely. Not just with his play but, like you said, he seems to raise your entire defense's level of play.

It didn't cause the Niners any problems for several years, either, maddy. They won some championships that way. But they've been paying for it ever since. That's what would make me nervous about it, as a fan.
  • Options
    urbino:
    It didn't cause the Niners any problems for several years, either, maddy. They won some championships that way. But they've been paying for it ever since. That's what would make me nervous about it, as a fan.
    Yea but we've been doing it for 10 years and only had one year when we had to suck it up and take the hits and they were from Deon Sanders, Bruce Smith and LaVar Arrington. I know what you're saying though. The Skins just do contracts differently than most teams. The "guaranteed" money that most teams do they do as roster bonuses and workout bonuses, etc. Which allows a couple things, first they can cut a guy without as big of a hit. Second if they need to create room they can convert that bonus into a signing bonus and extend the contract of the player and minimize his hit against the cap and build in more of those bonuses. Its really complex but cool if you actually study it. Check out ...

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm
  • Options
    Interesting. I'll give it a read. So if you guys have been doing this for 10 years, and it effectively gives you extra cap room, why isn't everybody doing it? Nobody copies a good idea like the NFL.
  • Options
    Well, we just overpaid for an injury-prone center nobody's ever heard of -- Jake Grove, from the Raiders. I understand we were looking for a center, but it sure looks to me like we paid way too much for this one.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Interesting. I'll give it a read. So if you guys have been doing this for 10 years, and it effectively gives you extra cap room, why isn't everybody doing it? Nobody copies a good idea like the NFL.
    Because while we've been awesome with the cap it hasn't produced wins. While the NFL is a copy cat league, they only copy winners.

Grove is a good center, possibly injury prone but good. No one has heard of him bc he was a Raider.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I'm too busy Praying the Capitals keep up the good work to look at the 'skins right now.
  • Options
    I hope you're right, maddy.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I hope you're right, maddy.
    Its tough to call you know. I mean look at LeCharles Bentley, most dominant center in all of the NFL and the Browns snag him up in FA only to watch his career go down the tubes the first play of Training Camp. After letting a very good center in Jeff Faine go ...
  • Options
    Yeah. Life is like a box of chocolates.
  • Options
    Can't believe that locker room cancer Terrell Owens was picked up so quick and Marvin Harrison is still hangin' ... Good guys may not finish first but evidently they finish quicker ....damn ...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, I am glad T.O. is out of Dallas. He is a very talented player and a very physical player, but his mouth causes more damage than his talent can correct. I just hope we can get another big receiver to get down field and get open. TO was great at getting teams to double cover him so Witten could get open... We may miss that this year.

On the other hand, with T.O. and his toxic personalityl out of the picture, the Cowboys as a team have a lot to prove and Tony Romo has to truely prove himself this year. I believe if he is allowed to play his game and move around in the pocket he can be a great QB. He has the ability to deliver the ball where it needs to be, he just needs to have the freedom to make the plays.

I am however very concerned about the defense. With the loss of several key players they are going to have to do some serious restructuring. When I speak of loosing key players I am not refering to Roy Williams. Williams is a very physical player and can hit like a linebacker, he just wasn't a pass coverage man. If he could have packed on about 50lbs of muscle I think he could have been a very effective linebacker.
  • Options
    Haynesworth cited for two trafic violations from Dec 13th 08 incident. Reckless driving and expired registration....caused another driver to crash into cement barrier causing serious injury...can you say 'loose cannon' ...
  • Options
    Heh. That didn't take long.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Haynesworth cited for two trafic violations from Dec 13th 08 incident. Reckless driving and expired registration....caused another driver to crash into cement barrier causing serious injury...can you say 'loose cannon' ...
    Its old news. He stopped after the incident and was actually the one who called the police. Its typical athlete BS but it is over-hyped.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    Its old news. He stopped after the incident and was actually the one who called the police. Its typical athlete BS but it is over-hyped.

Well at least he's somewhat of a responsible loose cannon heh. Yeah, everything athletes do is over hyped I agree 100% Maddy. Glad we're not under that scrunity although if Hayneworth would just send me ONE game check my life would be easier and my humi fuller!!!