Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Drew Estate Non Infused Cigars

This isn't a review of any one particular cigar but more my experience with their lines. Most people only look at the ACID line when they think DE. But they have all these other traditional lines that really show off their blending skill and some style.

Starting off with their "economy" line, La Vieja Habana. I'm pretty sure these are a mixed filler cigar, but it burns and tastes great! It's a $2-$3 stick available in all the common wrappers. My personal favorite the Corojo and Brazilian Maduro. Only have ever seen them online.

Chateau Real- A medium smoke available in Connecticut or Maduro. Normally found in B&M's, a decent smoke $6-$8.

Joya De Nicaragua, , mostly Nicaraguan puros, these aren't just distributed by DE they are rolled by them as well. The Celebracion, a nice medum body smoke. The Antano 1970, for most considered a full body smoke, The Cabinetta, a Criollo head and Ecuadorian foot, and of course the Antano Dark Corojo familiar to many now. $7-$10 stick, online and B&M's

The Liga Privada line, T52 and T9's. These are the high end line for DE. Most smokers know the name but don't necessarily know it's DE who puts them out. $10-$15 online and B&M's

And then there's Undercrown which inspired this whole thread. I picked one up in the local B&M (a gran toro) and was BLOWN away by this smoke. The burn was flawless the whole way through, billowing smoke, near perfect construction, and the flavor was phenomenal! I'm not sure if DE will run this seperate from the Liga Privada line but they should. I went back the next week and picked up the other vitolas they had and appearance on them is the same, spectacular! I' ve only smoked the robusto since and my experience was the same as the gran toro. So the blend seems consistent so far across the vitolas. I have a belicoso waiting for me to smoke still. $9-$12 online and B&M's

CCom should put together a sampler of these so people can see that there's more to Drew Estate than just the ACID line.

Comments

• Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    A sampler would be nice but with the limited quantities of liga line I don't see it happening except for maybe a march madness deal...are you listening Alex? :)
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    It's funny I'm such a fan of Drew Estate that I actually don't think of the acid line at all when Drew Estate comes to mind. A sampler would be nice though.
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    danielruas:
    It's funny I'm such a fan of Drew Estate that I actually don't think of the acid line at all when Drew Estate comes to mind. A sampler would be nice though.
    Yup. Acid is last thing that comes to mind. First thing that comes to mind for me is LP No.9
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    And let us not forget the (IMHO) phenomenal Chateau Real. Excellent stick that is relatively easy on the wallet as well, especially if you shop around for em a bit.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    MrGreenMachine:
    these aren't just distributed by DE they are rolled by them as well

Does anyone know what the extent of this is? How independent is JdN? Do they have their own facility, or is everything done at La Gran Fabrica now?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    MrGreenMachine:

Does anyone know what the extent of this is? How independent is JdN? Do they have their own facility, or is everything done at La Gran Fabrica now?
    they are 100% independent as far as blending and process. they were around long before DE was even thought of. DE teamed up with them for Distribution purposes only, but they are not the same company. they have separate factories, separate blenders (JD helped blend MUWaT only), separate owners, separate tobacco suppliers.

• Options
    docbp87:
    MrGreenMachine:

they are 100% independent as far as blending and process. they were around long before DE was even thought of. DE teamed up with them for Distribution purposes only, but they are not the same company. they have separate factories, separate blenders (JD helped blend MUWaT only), separate managers, separate tobacco suppliers.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    they have separate factories, separate blenders (JD helped blend MUWaT only), separate managers, separate tobacco suppliers.

So MrGreenMachine is incorrect, which is what I thought, and I figured you would know the answer.
  • Options
    I was blown away by the under crown as well. I have 2 more resting and one might just go up in flames soon.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    they have separate factories, separate blenders (JD helped blend MUWaT only), separate managers, separate tobacco suppliers.

So MrGreenMachine is incorrect, which is what I thought, and I figured you would know the answer.
    while in the Drew Estates Factory JD said that he wanted to show us the JdN factory but couldnt. he didnt express why but i got the impression that bringing a tour group there unannounced was "no bueno"
    that wouldnt be an issue if it was "his."

JdN is the oldest factory in Nicaragua. Established in 1968. DE started in its current incarnation in 1998

i feel that "at best" JdN and DE have a relationship much like Camacho and Davidoff. yes Davidoff "owns" camacho, but they dont blend, farm, roll, etc the cigars.
  • Options
    Yeah, I always thought JDrew seemed like the kind of guy whose brand itself represents the cutting edge, and the ultimate in the "New School"... BUT he also has this profound respect for his forefathers, which Dr. Martinez Cuenca definitely is a symbol of.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Got an Undercrown from Teege for my Movie Pass winnings and was very impressed with it. It had been on my must try list with everyone raving about it and it makes me really want to try the other LP stuff.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    docbp87:
    Yeah, I always thought JDrew seemed like the kind of guy whose brand itself represents the cutting edge, and the ultimate in the "New School"... BUT he also has this profound respect for his forefathers, which Dr. Martinez Cuenca definitely is a symbol of.
    i agree with your assessment. JdN has such a classic feel that for years after the embargo on cuba was put into place the "house cigar" of the white house JdN Classico.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I will say, at the very least, JD has a lot of respect... I would dare say pride... in the JdN stuff. He was as excited to talk to me about the JdN DC as he was to talk about the MUWAT and Undercrown when I met him. He knows the blend and profile of the JdN DC very well... he actually "dissected" it for me... or "broke it down" for me and explained the similarities between it and the LP line and kinda explained to me the reason why the similarities are there. He is so good, actually, that he told me where the individual leaves came from and how they are processed, and why the particular tastes that are there in the LP no.9 and the JdN DC taste similar.

As much as I love LP and the JdN DC, it was an awesome conversation, to say the least...

and he topped it off by giving me a handful of MUWATs and Undercrowns... I have since become damn near obsessed with the Undercrown.