Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America's youth

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
video CLICKHERE

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In-frigging-credible. Are we raising an entire generation of half-wits???
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised at all by this. Just pathetic.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Ive been in his class before. I don't think we are raising a group of half wits... we are just seeing what happens when we have an interconnected world and our great nation cant offer what most western nations do in terms of a basic access to free healthcare, and education. We work longer than pretty much any population on the planet, but get less vacation paid or otherwise. We are also not guaranteed any vacation or sick days. We also have seen our average wage go down since the 1980's when adjusted for inflation.... except that 1% who saw their holding increase at a rapid clip.

My generation's failures were set in motion long before we were ever born.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Krieger:
    Ive been in his class before. I don't think we are raising a group of half wits... we are just seeing what happens when we have an interconnected world and our great nation cant offer what most western nations do in terms of a basic access to free healthcare, and education. We work longer than pretty much any population on the planet, but get less vacation paid or otherwise. We are also not guaranteed any vacation or sick days. We also have seen our average wage go down since the 1980's when adjusted for inflation.... except that 1% who saw their holding increase at a rapid clip.

My generation's failures were set in motion long before we were ever born.
    Interesting reply. I guess you made an A in that class. You think our government should offer free healthcare and education? Get paid more for less work? You think the government should give you a vacation? I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really mean what you say?
  • Options
    No, I don't think the government MUST do any of that... I am just saying there is a real basis for what these kids are saying. We fund our military more than every other nation on the planet... COMBINED. We simply have our priorities wrong... Fund healthcare. Healthy workers live longer, work harder, and STAYING healthy is cheaper than trying to fix massive disease and health issues. Want to change your oil, or your motor? Invest in our future... education. We can compete with foreign workers, for sure, but our biggest asset is having a well educated population.

As for pay and vacation. No, I dont think the government should HAVE to guarantee me anything, but why should I work 2 jobs, go to school full time and pull down OVER 100 hours a week on average for the last 12 and a half months... just to stay poor? There are honestly no rewards for your average joe any more. I think alot of our economic issues are spawned by greed and power brokering. Why give your workers vacation and bonuses when they can make you tons more money by being unhappy and working for the same amount as they made last year? My father has been the head QC inspector at a local ambulance company for the last like 20 years or more. He makes $15 an hour. He used to make more... then the owners sold the company for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. In order for my 65 year old father to keep his job, he had to agree to allow the company to use his retirement money acrued under the former owners and invest it in company stock or something... The new owners then sold a huge chunk of their stock and my dad's retirement went right into their pockets... but hey... he has a job right? My dad couldn't quit. Nobody wants a 65 year old who has only done one job for 20+ years. He looked. Nobody wanted him. He was "over qualified, and too old" He was forced to never be able to retire, essentially.

I simply mean that we, as a nation, should look after our own people. Why invest in huge and inefficient defense contracts and spend millions and millions and millions on technologies that will never be used, when we are constantly cutting spending on education and throwing money at corporations and the rich in an attempt to FINALLY get the trickle down theory to work. I can really see where the younger people feel they should be taken care of, but I also assure you that the video you watched was made to look worse than that study ever really was. It's fox. it's a propaganda machine, and anything those kids wrote could have been interpreted in any way.

I seriously doubt 80% of them said they wanted the rich and the government to buy them a house or anything... The down payment statement comes from the rebate system that was in place down here a few years back. If it was your first house, they paid a percentage of the down payment, as long as you lived in that house for 5 years. If you moved within 5 years, you had to pay it back. So that part of the video is just shameless propaganda... they don't want a free house... they just think the rebate system was a good thing and simply want it back...

As for making an A, yes. I hold a 3.8 GPA after 2 years and a semester, so I do decently. I was raised to care about my education, and to work hard.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm actually ashamed of my generation. So many people these days want everything in their lives handed to them on a silver platter instead of actually trying to work for what they want. The world owes you nothing. You determine your own fate and what you get.

Stealing from Person A to get someone to pay for your house and food isn't "self-help" or charity. It's theft. Sad thing is, this is what communists and dictators usually did thoughout most of history. Find people that want more (peasants, minorities, etc), convince them that their plight is someone else's fault (and create a huge social divide), promise them a rescue that will never come, and when they've put you in power and outlived their usefulness, purge them, ignore them, or starve them to death.
  • Options
    Krieger:
    No, I don't think the government MUST do any of that... I am just saying there is a real basis for what these kids are saying. We fund our military more than every other nation on the planet... COMBINED. We simply have our priorities wrong... Fund healthcare. Healthy workers live longer, work harder, and STAYING healthy is cheaper than trying to fix massive disease and health issues. Want to change your oil, or your motor? Invest in our future... education. We can compete with foreign workers, for sure, but our biggest asset is having a well educated population.

As for pay and vacation. No, I dont think the government should HAVE to guarantee me anything, but why should I work 2 jobs, go to school full time and pull down OVER 100 hours a week on average for the last 12 and a half months... just to stay poor? There are honestly no rewards for your average joe any more. I think alot of our economic issues are spawned by greed and power brokering. Why give your workers vacation and bonuses when they can make you tons more money by being unhappy and working for the same amount as they made last year? My father has been the head QC inspector at a local ambulance company for the last like 20 years or more. He makes $15 an hour. He used to make more... then the owners sold the company for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. In order for my 65 year old father to keep his job, he had to agree to allow the company to use his retirement money acrued under the former owners and invest it in company stock or something... The new owners then sold a huge chunk of their stock and my dad's retirement went right into their pockets... but hey... he has a job right? My dad couldn't quit. Nobody wants a 65 year old who has only done one job for 20+ years. He looked. Nobody wanted him. He was "over qualified, and too old" He was forced to never be able to retire, essentially.

I simply mean that we, as a nation, should look after our own people. Why invest in huge and inefficient defense contracts and spend millions and millions and millions on technologies that will never be used, when we are constantly cutting spending on education and throwing money at corporations and the rich in an attempt to FINALLY get the trickle down theory to work. I can really see where the younger people feel they should be taken care of, but I also assure you that the video you watched was made to look worse than that study ever really was. It's fox. it's a propaganda machine, and anything those kids wrote could have been interpreted in any way.

I seriously doubt 80% of them said they wanted the rich and the government to buy them a house or anything... The down payment statement comes from the rebate system that was in place down here a few years back. If it was your first house, they paid a percentage of the down payment, as long as you lived in that house for 5 years. If you moved within 5 years, you had to pay it back. So that part of the video is just shameless propaganda... they don't want a free house... they just think the rebate system was a good thing and simply want it back...

As for making an A, yes. I hold a 3.8 GPA after 2 years and a semester, so I do decently. I was raised to care about my education, and to work hard.

No offense, Mr. Krieger, but I don't know when I've heard a larger ration of bullsh1t than this. A person can read your entire input here and if they come away with an opinion that doesn't agree then it's clear they're from your generation and no other.

I've said it before and I'll say again... The problem with this nation is that each generation says, "I'm not going to be as hard on my kids as my parents were on me." Think about that for a moment. Each generation has become more permissive than the previous one --- to the point where today's young people actually believe the world owes them a living. Parents are no longer held responsible when their offspring become thugs, robbers, murderers, etc. They push the responsibility for raising their kids off on teachers, cops, etc. but don't accept any responsibility themselves. It's just plain bullsh1t.

I'm an old guy. I was born in the '30s. I've said it before and I'll say it again - - when it comes time for me to meet my maker, I'll be ready to go. I don't think I could stand living through another generation or two forced to watch the decline I've seen over the years. Each succeeding generation feels they're entitled to more than each preceeding generation. Bullsh1t!!
  • Options
    crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    I can absolutely agree with you there. Parents just arent raising their kids right, but think about it... back when you were a kid, how many parents had to REALLY work to make sure there was food on the table? Today both parents must work just for a bit under half of all families to still be classified as poor. Some people just cant work 9-5 AND put the work into their kids that is really needed, and society pays for it.

Another thing that has gotten worse is greed. and you cannot deny that one. Just look at any study, statistic, or out the window. The middle class has declined, while the wealthy keep getting wealthier. Roaring 20's much? Except the government stepped in this time. lol

No offense taken. we all have our views. your point of view is far different than mine. this video concerns my generation, so I simply supplied put my 2 cents in. I don't agree with most of the things stated in that video, but I can understand where it came from, as ive stated at least 4 times in my previous posts.

I don't want the world on a silver platter. I want a stable world. I want my parents to be able to retire. I want to get a good job. I would REALLY love for FL to pay their Paramedics more, so I can make more money, but I like my job so far, so I look forward to a future in it... I'd love to have a savings account and be able to buy a house too, but that wont happen till after school is done and paid for... lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    I can absolutely agree with you there. Parents just arent raising their kids right, but think about it... back when you were a kid, how many parents had to REALLY work to make sure there was food on the table? Today both parents must work just for a bit under half of all families to still be classified as poor. Some people just cant work 9-5 AND put the work into their kids that is really needed, and society pays for it.
    back then they also had a lower quality of life.
    80 percent of poor households have air conditioning. In 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning. 92 percent of poor households have a microwave. Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks. Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite TV. Two-thirds have at least one DVD player, and 70 percent have a VCR. Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers. More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation. 43 percent have Internet access. One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD TV. One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo. More than half have a cell phone. The American Housing Survey reports that roughly 41 percent of poor households owned their own homes.

so the poor arent really getting poorer if looked at from a quality of life position. and the rich, arent even getting that much richer. they are actually disappearing CLICK
    Krieger:
    Another thing that has gotten worse is greed. and you cannot deny that one. Just look at any study, statistic, or out the window. The middle class has declined, while the wealthy keep getting wealthier. Roaring 20's much? Except the government stepped in this time. lol
    i actually just posted statistics that proved you wrong... sorry man. "

there is some greed out there but this word is being thrown about in a classic class warfare style to create jealousy or contempt for people that do well. so long as a person is not violating the rights of others that person has the right to make as much money as they can. that is not greed. that is self interest. that person also tends to create thousands of jobs along the way if what the person is selling is good enough.
    Krieger:
    I would REALLY love for FL to pay their Paramedics more, so I can make more money...
    uh... so does EVERYBODY ELSE. i mean we all wanna make more money.
    but when someone else says it instead of you, its "greed"
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    I simply mean that we, as a nation, should look after our own people.
    i simply mean that I, as an individual, should not be forced to pay for somebody else to have a TV, Xbox, Steak dinner when i gave up those things so that i could have less debt and actually live and achieve the American dream through hard work and smart decisions.
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Krieger:
    I simply mean that we, as a nation, should look after our own people. Why invest in huge and inefficient defense contracts and spend millions and millions and millions on technologies that will never be used, when we are constantly cutting spending on education and throwing money at corporations and the rich in an attempt to FINALLY get the trickle down theory to work.
    You are using the internet to complain that the government wastes millions of dollars on military technologies that will never be used. I guess no one uses doppler radar or GPS either.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine what the next generation will be like. And whats worse this can't be just in the USA. How have we messed up our kids this badly I wonder. I hope I've done a better job with my daughter.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    We fund our military more than every other nation on the planet... COMBINED.

So? It's still not enough. Ask anyone who's ever served (and there's plenty of us around here that can attest to that).

Krieger:
    I would REALLY love for FL to pay their Paramedics more

Paramedics are grossly underpaid across the country.
    Krieger:
    I like my job so far, so I look forward to a future in it

You must be new. Come talk to me in 5 years when your back is shot and you start to see why we burn out so fast.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    wwhwang:
    I'm actually ashamed of my generation. So many people these days want everything in their lives handed to them on a silver platter instead of actually trying to work for what they want. The world owes you nothing. You determine your own fate and what you get.

Stealing from Person A to get someone to pay for your house and food isn't "self-help" or charity. It's theft. Sad thing is, this is what communists and dictators usually did thoughout most of history. Find people that want more (peasants, minorities, etc), convince them that their plight is someone else's fault (and create a huge social divide), promise them a rescue that will never come, and when they've put you in power and outlived their usefulness, purge them, ignore them, or starve them to death.
    Once again Wayne I have to agree with you. Our generation doesn't have any idea of the legacy they are building.

• Options
    Krieger:
    I can absolutely agree with you there. Parents just arent raising their kids right, but think about it... back when you were a kid, how many parents had to REALLY work to make sure there was food on the table? Today both parents must work.....

My father worked two 8-hour jobs and my mother took in laundry. Sometimes we even took in boarders. And we weren't all that different from other families. I don't believe it's accurate to say that current generations have to work harder to make a living. The living they're trying to make includes a h3lluva lot of 'niceties' that, in a pinch, they could do without.

And the argument that a lot of those 'niceties' didn't exist back then isn't valid. The point is that it was possible to live without them then and it's still possible. Remember, I said 'possible'. If you want to bring 'desirable' into the equation then you're gonna have to work harder to achieve it.
  • Options
    I had to walk 12 miles, uphill, to and from school. LOL Just kidding. Keep up with your grades. They will pay off in the long run. And to toot my own horn, I have a 3.85 GPA with a BS and an MS. And I did it without any government, or parental, assistance. Remember, government assistance can be like a drug. Just say no. If you need help, ask your friends. All you need is love.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    I had to walk 12 miles, uphill, to and from school. LOL Just kidding. Keep up with your grades. They will pay off in the long run. And to toot my own horn, I have a 3.85 GPA with a BS and an MS. And I did it without any government, or parental, assistance. Remember, government assistance can be like a drug. Just say no. If you need help, ask your friends. All you need is love.

Phew!! You scared me, there, Beatnic. For a minute I thought you were offering a rebuttal to my post immediately ahead of yours.

I get it, now. Phew!!
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    beatnic:

Phew!! You scared me, there, Beatnic. For a minute I thought you were offering a rebuttal to my post immediately ahead of yours.

I get it, now. Phew!!
    Not at all JL. My thoughts were pointed elsewhere. You and I have had a while to ferment our minds. LOL
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I say we just tase them bro.
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    I say we just tase them bro.
    +1...Hell yeah!!!

• Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting something from the government. After all we pay taxes. What kids these days have to realize is that the government can only do so much and that they themselves are the vital source of the wellbeing of the government and the country so they themselves have a standard to live up to. They should be taught to strive to educate themselves in any way they can to become productive citizens . It's the only way forward to maintain economic stability of the country and the standard of living they have come to see as something they are entitled to. THIS ARTICLE A GOOD READ FOR ANYONE IN HIGH SCHOOL. <---LINK. Kind of a shocking article. Innovation, automation, the emergence of other countries as economic and technological powerhouses, and economies of scale are something the U.S. Government cannot control in the interest of its citizens. It really boils down to the individual. As Kennedy said, "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country". I think at this point, we need a communist-like regime in the school system to indoctrinate the young to have any hope for the future.
  • Options
    A wooden ruler used to be very effective.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think this splits up amongst the older guys and younger guys. I'm. 31 so who knows about the middle agers. I also worked my ass off to get a good education and a bachelors in engineering, paid back my loans myself so i can understand that people shouldn't get free handouts without putting in the long difficult work hours. I also know the money used to go a lot further. Also do you older guys think the handout generation is a result of your parenting methods or a result of their own issues and being spoiler? I had to throw that one in there lol.
  • Options
    blurr:
    I think this splits up amongst the older guys and younger guys. I'm. 31 so who knows about the middle agers. I also worked my ass off to get a good education and a bachelors in engineering, paid back my loans myself so i can understand that people shouldn't get free handouts without putting in the long difficult work hours. I also know the money used to go a lot further. Also do you older guys think the handout generation is a result of your parenting methods or a result of their own issues and being spoiler? I had to throw that one in there lol.
    My parenting methods? My son also has a BS in Physics, one in Mathematics, and an MS in Engineering, and is taking his PE this Spring. Although I paid for much of his education, he had to hold a job and pay for his living expenses. It can be done by anyone willing to put in the work. I never gave excuses, did not take them from him, and will be short with anyone who uses them. Sorry. Just the way I am.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Schrooz:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting something from the government. After all we pay taxes. What kids these days have to realize is that the government can only do so much and that they themselves are the vital source of the wellbeing of the government and the country so they themselves have a standard to live up to. They should be taught to strive to educate themselves in any way they can to become productive citizens . It's the only way forward to maintain economic stability of the country and the standard of living they have come to see as something they are entitled to. THIS ARTICLE A GOOD READ FOR ANYONE IN HIGH SCHOOL.
    I'm not sure if I should take this seriously.