Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anybody else have trouble Sleeping?

Since i was about fourteen there have been nights where i can not sleep at all, sometimes it will be every other night for a week and other times it will be once in four months. Most every night though i have to 'fight' to sleep, and even though i go to bed at 12-1ish i often dont get to sleep till 4 or 5am... this was just another night that i did not sleep at all; how do yall handle this kinda thing?

Comments

• Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    When I was a child, then a teenager, it took me about 4-5 hours to go to sleep. Never went a whole night without sleeping. Somehow, however, when I became an adult, that problem disappeared and I rarely have trouble sleeping. My oldest daughter, who is now 26, has trouble sleeping greatly and has since she was a child. It's miserable.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I work night shift (midnight to 8am) so my sleep schedule is normally all FUBAR. Add onto that having a 14 month old...I average between about 2 and 4 hours of sleep a day. You just kinda get used to it and it becomes normal. I remember back in high school, I could sleep days away. Now if I sleep longer than about 5 hours strait, I get a massive headache when I wake up.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    on a "normal" night i end up sleeping from about 4-10am but these sleepless nights are catching up to me... in highschool id only ger 3-4 hours of sleep on week nights but i went a couple of years like that without trouble; now i need at least 6 or i might as well not sleep
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Did you try taking any Unisom or some other type of sleep aid?

I find that about 15 Bud Lites puts me to sleep quite nicely.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    One word: Ambien.
    No buzz, no hangover grogginess.
    I take one and lay down and in about 20 minutes, pure restful sleep.
  • Options
    rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    +1
    Ambien works well for me also.
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    You can try Melatonin. It has little or no side affects. Works for me. You can get it in the supplement isle Kroger. I use the Kroger brand. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    See a doctor-chronic insomnia could be a result of a more serious condition. Not likely, but you should check it out. You will need to see one to get the ambien RX anyway.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    i actually have a sleep disorder and the dr has me on light therapy and a c-pap machine for my sleep apnea.the light therapy is an idea that gets you into a sleep/waking rhythm. basically pick a time that you want to wake up every day, set your alarm, get your ass up and force yourself to either sit outside or right by a window so you can get natural light. the light will force your brain into thinking that this is the time for you to get up every day. i used to have seriously bad insomnia and this has helped a lot.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    asianbiker8:
    i actually have a sleep disorder and the dr has me on light therapy and a c-pap machine for my sleep apnea.the light therapy is an idea that gets you into a sleep/waking rhythm. basically pick a time that you want to wake up every day, set your alarm, get your ass up and force yourself to either sit outside or right by a window so you can get natural light. the light will force your brain into thinking that this is the time for you to get up every day. i used to have seriously bad insomnia and this has helped a lot.
    sleep apnea, anyone thinks they have it go to your doctor, very serious to where you can fall asleep driving etc
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I have been having some issues sleeping lately myself. I am about to try melatonin just came in today from amazon. Will let you all know how it works out for me. I got the quick dissolving kind as I have heard it works best.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    jj20030:
    asianbiker8:
    sleep apnea, anyone thinks they have it go to your doctor, very serious to where you can fall asleep driving etc
    I have a cpap. Brought my BP down from 140/90 to 120/74.. I was stopping breathing an average of 126 times an hour.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    djbeenie:
    You can try Melatonin. It has little or no side affects. Works for me. You can get it in the supplement isle Kroger. I use the Kroger brand. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview
    +100000000000000 I use it almost daily... 3mg is usually fine, but I have 5mg gelcap as well... it doesn't put me to sleep necessarily, but it helps me maintain sleep... staying asleep has always been a problem for me, but not so much anymore... my rd. told me to try this before trying anything that required a prescription and it really works for me... super cheap too
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes have trouble falling asleep and will toss and turn for 2-3+ hours before falling asleep. However once I'm asleep I'm out and don't have trouble staying asleep.

One thing that I've found that really helps is turning off anything with a bright screen (TV/computer/iPad) 1-2 hours before falling asleep and reading a book or magazine instead. Also, I absolutely can not sleep if I'm too hot so I never take hot showers right before bed...
    Check out the links under tip #2 of this article for the things I mentioned above. You might find some of the other tips helpful too.
    Article Click Here

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    robbyras:
    djbeenie:
    +100000000000000 I use it almost daily... 3mg is usually fine, but I have 5mg gelcap as well... it doesn't put me to sleep necessarily, but it helps me maintain sleep... staying asleep has always been a problem for me, but not so much anymore... my rd. told me to try this before trying anything that required a prescription and it really works for me... super cheap too
    It's pretty amazing how well it works! Little bitty ol pill too. Knocks me out!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I have insomnia to the point that I'll go more than A month without reaching R.E.M. Sleep. My doctor finally had to prescribe 30Mg. of restoril A night so I can get about six to seven hours per night. Some people laugh when I talk about insomnia, but to those of us who have it it's no laughing matter. You all have my sympathy for your sleep problems.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I really didn't have any sleep problems until returning from Iraq in 06.
    My unit (The 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment) patrolled western Baghdad every day for a year. Every day was intense.
    Right after getting back, my wife would notice that when I was sleeping, if there was any noise or movement, I'd jump up and look/feel around for my weapon.
    One time, she touched me on the shoulder while I was sleeping and I threw a punch but fortunately missed. Now if she has to wake me up, she taps my foot.
    She also noticed that when I was sleeping, I'd be clenching my fists and all my muscles would be tightened up.
    When the VA docs evaluated me, one of the questions they asked was did I encounter any traumatic events while in combat. I replied "like my vehicle getting hit by 6 IED's and being in 15 firefights (not including the random sniper fire or nightly mortar and rocket attacks)".
    The doc said "uh, yea. I believe that your sleeping problems are attributed to your experiences in combat."

No schitt, Sherlock.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Doctor I believe I am cured.... I rarely sleep for more than two hours at a time without waking. This goes on all night long over the past ten years. I have this phobia of oversleeping and being late for work, The alarm clock never gets a chance to go off.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    On a side note I'll never sleep again after what Teege and JJ did to me a minute ago....I get the feeling I'm gonna get smooshed, if I have the slighted dream.... :-(
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    On a side note I'll never sleep again after what Teege and JJ did to me a minute ago....I get the feeling I'm gonna get smooshed, if I have the slighted dream.... :-(

hahaha.

so far tonight i slept from 7pm till 10 im hoping to sleep about 4-10am as well...
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Have you tried meditation? You might consider purchasing meditation for dummies.
  • Options
    Theedge:
    Have you tried meditation? You might consider purchasing meditation for dummies.
    Reading that will give you something to do while you can't sleep. Either that or watch 200 channels of infomercials
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Theedge:
    Reading that will give you something to do while you can't sleep. Either that or watch 200 channels of infomercials
    more like 400 channels... but i cant concentrate on much late at night so i just lay in bed with my mind wondering from one topic to another
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    taythegibs:
    kaspera79:
    Theedge:
    more like 400 channels... but i cant concentrate on much late at night so i just lay in bed with my mind wondering from one topic to another

Millions of folks have been meditating for thousands of years, and yet it still for some reason sounds "strange" in this country. Even just the process of looking into something outside of what I've done before was interesting to me. Learning new stuff is like, um, cool and stuff.
  • Options
    I was only kidding about the book.. I am sure that there any many benefits to relaxation through meditation. I used it to a small degree when studing martial arts many years ago.
  • Options
    jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    I've heard propofol does wonders.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    melatonin and quiet, smooth music, like piano or violins or something. If that doesn't work, I go work out till im exhausted, shower up, then sleep.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    jasonusa1:
    I've heard propofol does wonders.
    Lol dooooood wrong but funny
  • Options
    i picked up some melatonin this evening, hopefully itll help.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    taythegibs:
    kaspera79:
    Theedge:
    So, you are touching upon a piece of why you are having trouble sleeping. Assuming that you are healthy and don't have other issues like sleep apnea etc... The purpose behind meditation is to quiet the mind. We can have alot more control over our awareness than we realize. Melatonin can be helpful for some people. I've used it to help with jet lag.