Home General Discussion
Options

Gurkha Legend vs. Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
Whats the diff.? I have some Legends from about 3 years ago. I like the Legend but was wondering about this version. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the double post. Not sure what happened

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what i found on the 2

Years ago, one of Gurkha's most heavily sought, highest perceived cigars was pulled from the market due to lack of inventory. The brand was Gurkha '8-Year-Aged' Vintage. A sultry beast teeming with flavor, now extinct due to lack of the rare tobaccos used. Fear not....the prestigious Gurkha Legend is back in the form of Vintage 2001, and it's burning better than ever. Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 is a savory morsel dressed in a dark, triple-fermented Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper cultivated in 2001. This rich, chewy leaf conceals a bold blend of extensively aged Cuban-seed long-fillers grown in the Dominican's famed Cibao Valley. The result: gobs of rich maduro goodness. The smoke is buttery-smooth and heavy on the palate....like velvet, actually. This rich creaminess carries throughout the entire smoke, whilst dishing out layers of dark chocolate, leather, and black espresso bean. The finish is long, dusting the taste buds with peppery-sweet nuances after each puff. Medium to full in body and complex to the core /////

The Gurkha Legend is a wonderful cigar, released at the 2003 RTDA show in Nashville. All the tobaccos are aged 8+ years, including dark, chewy Connecticut Broadleaf wrappers, Cameroon binders, and Dominican long-fillers. Made by the Torano family, the limited-production Legend won’t be found in too many smoke shops, as the $20 per cigar retail price is a bit rich for most cigar smokers. But the layer-upon-layer of flavor and smooth, round character and full to heavy taste make this one cigar you need to try. Upon toasting the foot, it starts off with a rich creaminess that quickly develops into a medium-bodied smoke with a distinct and appealing chocolatey, leathery taste. The burn and draw are beautiful producing a very light - almost snow-white - ash that holds tight as a rock.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    KCW:
    Whats the diff.? I have some Legends from about 3 years ago. I like the Legend but was wondering about this version. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the double post. Not sure what happened
    I have had 2 so far and I really like them. A lot!
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    KCW:
    2 of which?
  • Options
    i have a 2001 that ive yet to smoke but i liked the legends enough to buy more when i caught them on sale
  • Options
    jj20030:
    i have a 2001 that ive yet to smoke but i liked the legends enough to buy more when i caught them on sale
    Let us know your thoughts when you have it. When C.Com had the Legend Anniversarios on the Gurkha sampler I bought a bunch. Its a nice smoke. Thats why I'm wondering about the Vintage 2001.
  • Options
    i found it ill have it tomorrow night, trying to remember who sent it
  • Options
    Sweet. I will expect your report. ;)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    KCW:
    rwheelwright:
    KCW:
    2 of which?
    2 of the new 2001. I've had a the legend but I don't remember liking them as much as the new ones. I do have some of the original burried somewhere.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    KCW:
    rwheelwright:
    KCW:
    2 of which?
    2 of the new 2001. I've had a the legend but I don't remember liking them as much as the new ones. I do have some of the original burried somewhere.
    Good to know. Let me know if you smoke the original one. See if there is a big diff.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    Think I sent you one for findng that limitada deal....let us know what you think..
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    jj20030:
    Think I sent you one for findng that limitada deal....let us know what you think..
    yup, found it, next to the black dragon image
  • Options
    well, i fired up the 2001, looked fine but as soon as i smelled the foot i smelled a moldy smell, i looked the cigar over and it looked great but just keep smelling that way, fired it up and smoked about an inch and had to put it out as my whole mouth taste moldy, like i say it looke fine so i dont know wth happen? tore it open and looked ok, dont know
  • Options
    btw, i checked the black dragon and it smelled fine, you have anymore of the 2001 eric that you can check ? i also saw this on another forum a guy wrote sounds like my experiece> I just opened a new box of cigars (will withhold the name for now), and when I removed the wrapper from one to give it a good sniff, I noticed a strong smell of mold. I checked the cigar carefully, and did not notice any mold, or anything else on the cigar. It had a very good appearance, and looked well constructed. There were no spots on it, white or otherwise. Not knowing if it was me, I lit it up. It was a mild flavor cigar, but now I was tasting mold. It started off barely noticeable, but as I neared the end of the cigar, the mold taste became more pronounced. I had to put the cigar down as the taste was too bad for me. I haven't checked the other cigars yet....hopefully they are okay. Has anyone ever experienced this in a smoke?///also not musty taste def. moldy taste, i brushed my teeth and still kinda tasting it
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    btw, i checked the black dragon and it smelled fine, you have anymore of the 2001 eric that you can check ? i also saw this on another forum a guy wrote sounds like my experiece> I just opened a new box of cigars (will withhold the name for now), and when I removed the wrapper from one to give it a good sniff, I noticed a strong smell of mold. I checked the cigar carefully, and did not notice any mold, or anything else on the cigar. It had a very good appearance, and looked well constructed. There were no spots on it, white or otherwise. Not knowing if it was me, I lit it up. It was a mild flavor cigar, but now I was tasting mold. It started off barely noticeable, but as I neared the end of the cigar, the mold taste became more pronounced. I had to put the cigar down as the taste was too bad for me. I haven't checked the other cigars yet....hopefully they are okay. Has anyone ever experienced this in a smoke?
    Damn I was looking forward to a review on those 2001's
  • Options
    The Kid:
    jj20030:
    btw, i checked the black dragon and it smelled fine, you have anymore of the 2001 eric that you can check ? i also saw this on another forum a guy wrote sounds like my experiece> I just opened a new box of cigars (will withhold the name for now), and when I removed the wrapper from one to give it a good sniff, I noticed a strong smell of mold. I checked the cigar carefully, and did not notice any mold, or anything else on the cigar. It had a very good appearance, and looked well constructed. There were no spots on it, white or otherwise. Not knowing if it was me, I lit it up. It was a mild flavor cigar, but now I was tasting mold. It started off barely noticeable, but as I neared the end of the cigar, the mold taste became more pronounced. I had to put the cigar down as the taste was too bad for me. I haven't checked the other cigars yet....hopefully they are okay. Has anyone ever experienced this in a smoke?
    While you're at it might as well check for some Gurkha 2001's. ;o)
    only one i had
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    The Kid:
    jj20030:
    While you're at it might as well check for some Gurkha 2001's. ;o)
    only one i had
    damn your quick misread the post and edited but your too fast for me McGraw
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    PM to you Jimmy.
  • Options
    got it, thanks but a mystery i guess ? im just firing up the black dragon and it smells and taste great
  • Options
    dont stress eric,lol, this black dragon is awesome so far and pairing with a dogfish head ipa 60 works well ,, holly ***, theres another SHARK, LOLimage
  • Options
    jj20030:
    well, i fired up the 2001, looked fine but as soon as i smelled the foot i smelled a moldy smell, i looked the cigar over and it looked great but just keep smelling that way, fired it up and smoked about an inch and had to put it out as my whole mouth taste moldy, like i say it looke fine so i dont know wth happen? tore it open and looked ok, dont know
    Bummer! I just got one to try (at some point).