Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Mi Barrio 6 x 50 Toro

This cigar was gifted to me by a very generous BoTL, Chip while I was on vacation in September. It was part of the carpet bombing I received in retaliation to a strike I delivered a bit earlier.
The Mi Barrio is a Pepin Garcia blend that has a velvety feeling Nicaraguan-Habano wrapper. The fillers are from Esteli and Jalapa, and are jam-packed into this 6 x 50 Toro called the Acere (which translates into “Steel”).

Sniffing the cigar reveals a strong barnyard scent and tingles the nose with pepper, both well-known Pepin traits.
After cutting and torching, the first thing I notice is the huge volume of smoke. The smoke is thick and creamy. The initial tastes that I notice are leather, damp earth, and oak along with a slight peppery bite.
The draw is full and lush, and every puff coats the palate.

As the cigar progresses, the pepper increases just enough that it doesn’t overwhelm the predominant flavors. The strength is at the lower end of medium. Not overly complex for the first half.
Past the halfway point, the cigar evolves. Peaty earth is still in the background, but are joined by notes of cinnamon, caramel, and nuts. The pepper increases, but never becomes obnoxious. As the flavors increase, so does the strength and the complexity. I would say that although billed as full-bodied, it barely crosses the line into full.
In my opinion, one of the more complex Pepin blends and a real treat. I look forward to smoking this one again.
They retail for around $10 a stick.

Side note: I’m not really sure who the two dudes are on the band, but they remind me of Mr. Roark and Tattoo from Fantasy Island.

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    This cigar was gifted to me by a very generous BoTL, Chip while I was on vacation in September. It was part of the carpet bombing I received in retaliation to a strike I delivered a bit earlier.
    The Mi Barrio is a Pepin Garcia blend that has a velvety feeling Nicaraguan-Habano wrapper. The fillers are from Esteli and Jalapa, and are jam-packed into this 6 x 50 Toro called the Acere (which translates into “Steel”).

Sniffing the cigar reveals a strong barnyard scent and tingles the nose with pepper, both well-known Pepin traits.
    After cutting and torching, the first thing I notice is the huge volume of smoke. The smoke is thick and creamy. The initial tastes that I notice are leather, damp earth, and oak along with a slight peppery bite.
    The draw is full and lush, and every puff coats the palate.

As the cigar progresses, the pepper increases just enough that it doesn’t overwhelm the predominant flavors. The strength is at the lower end of medium. Not overly complex for the first half.
    Past the halfway point, the cigar evolves. Peaty earth is still in the background, but are joined by notes of cinnamon, caramel, and nuts. The pepper increases, but never becomes obnoxious. As the flavors increase, so does the strength and the complexity. I would say that although billed as full-bodied, it barely crosses the line into full.
    In my opinion, one of the more complex Pepin blends and a real treat. I look forward to smoking this one again.
    They retail for around $10 a stick.

Side note: I’m not really sure who the two dudes are on the band, but they remind me of Mr. Roark and Tattoo from Fantasy Island.

love these, had one with about 1.5 year rest and was so good i have some new ones but only 1-2 left from long ago , the cello is turning brown and just havent been able bring myself to smoke them yet,lol , most people say the el forro is the best vitola?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Don Pepin Garcia and Orestes Espinoza are the two on the band. Orestes is sitting down in the picture; hes in a wheelchair if i am not mistaken.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I see alot of the guys pickin these up.. Gonna have to try one.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I had one and wasn't that impressed. I think maybe it needed more rest as it was kinda harsh. I'll have to get some more and age them. It's so hard to buy more of something you didn't love the first time though.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Steve. I was gifted one of these recently, and really looking forward to checking this one out. Seems from what the others are saying, rest is best, so I think I going let it sleep awhile.....
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    Thanks for sharing Steve. I was gifted one of these recently, and really looking forward to checking this one out. Seems from what the others are saying, rest is best, so I think I going let it sleep awhile.....
    Smoke it,its rested!
    BTW the artwork is by Edin Gutierrez, and portrays Pepin Garcia standing next to Pepin’s good friend Orestes Espinoza.
    (edit) I see Kuzi already provided this info!!
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    CvilleE:
    Smoke it,its rested!
    Thanks Kid!!! Its had several days to recover from shipping, so I might check it out tonight.....
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    The Kid:
    CvilleE:
    Smoke it,its rested!
    BTW the artwork is by Edin Gutierrez, and portrays Pepin Garcia standing next to Pepin’s good friend Orestes Espinoza.
    (edit) I see Kuzi already provided this info!!
    Thanks Kid!!! Its had several days to recover from shipping, so I might check it out tonight.....
    Man Your Welcome. sending pm
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I like the Mi Barrio. Love the smell of it pre and post light. The flavor was smooth and all DPG
  • Options
    The one Steve had was from last year, the ones I got in 09 are still my favorite but the ones I picked up in the last month are really good after a couple of weeks, you have to grab them now as they aren't available that long.
  • Options
    Looks like I need to change my avi or say I am dreaming for this next season.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    TIGERFAN:
    Looks like I need to change my avi or say I am dreaming for this next season.
    /////Chip, it's going to be between USC and your Tigers.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Perfect review I just had the same vitola last week and agree on all counts. I believe all Mi Barrios should have a plenty of age as theyve been out of production for some time from what Ive read. Having the 7x48 now and the toro and the 7.5x52 blow it away IMO. Especially where complexity is concerned. The 7.5x52 is one of my all time favorite cigars.