Home General Discussion
Options

JdN Dark Corojo fans...gotta question

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
I had one of these last night and it is definately not my normal cup of tea, but i had heard so many good things figured it was worth it. I was very surprised by the strength, but it was not overpowering and rather enjoyable with a short finish. As is, this is not a smoke I would normally go back to...but it got me thinking that this might be the type of cigar that opens up with age significantly. So....have you guys noticed a significant difference after a year with this cigar? For some reason I have a weird hunch it will open up and am considering buying a box to throw a away for a year or two to mellow. Honestly, I was very impressed and smoked it till my fingers burned. Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I've smoked through several boxes of them, but honestly, never with any age. I like em young. I like the complexity of them and the overall taste profile. I don't find them to be super strong either. I don't experience the short finish I hear folks talking about though. I find them to have a pretty moderate finish with a lingering dark chocolate and spice that lingers in the nose.

I have some put up for aging, so I will get back to you in a year on that... lol.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of the DC, love the El Martillo size. This cigar has great potential for aging, I was able to see that having only aged some for about 18 months. They don't really lose much in the way of strength over that short period, but the flavors really start to meld together and any rough edges start to smooth out. I can see this cigar handling 5 years easily and would absolutely recommend putting some away and forgetting about them for 2 years minimum, you'll be happy that you did. I've got 25 that are going away for a long time, I don't intend to crack them open until 2015 at the earliest.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    5 years seems like a good time frame on these. maybe even longer. this is one strong cigar. it will stand up to plenty of time. i could easily see it still having significant power after 15 or even 20 years.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    5..10...15 years?... geez. I was proud of myself for not dipping in my aging stash (yet) and they've only been put up for about 3 months so far... lol.

luckily I still have quite a few in my smoking stash... I guess I will just replace those with new ones as the current ones get smoked...

OK... so I will visit the agers around 2013, but try to leave the majority for 2014 or longer. TRY...
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I hope one day to get a cigar beyond a couple months of age on it lol. I really didn't see these are being that strong.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    It's not so much the strength of the smoke, because honestly it comes off as as trogn smoke but really does not overpower. I guess I was intersted to see if anyone had expereince with aging this smoke and if the flavor profile dramatically increased, which is what I am getting from a couple posts. I just had a hunch this would be the type of cigar to put away, open up in a couple years and the complexity would be amazing. Thanks for the help guys...pulled this cigar off my wish list, added it to my box list. Time to get the coolidor done!
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    BigT06:
    I've smoked through several boxes of them, but honestly, never with any age. I like em young. I like the complexity of them and the overall taste profile. I don't find them to be super strong either. I don't experience the short finish I hear folks talking about though. I find them to have a pretty moderate finish with a lingering dark chocolate and spice that lingers in the nose.

I have some put up for aging, so I will get back to you in a year on that... lol.
    Who would have guessed that you would be the first to post here?