Home Cigar 101

Verboten?

Hi all, I am pretty new to smoking real cigars (my grandpa got me started years ago, and he always got dutch masters), and I have ordered a few things from c.com. I just wanted to see if I am committing some heinous crime with what I'm doing. I got the box of brocatus robusto's with the idea of handing them out to moochers, but of course I tried one - i did not care for it at all - bitter, bland, and flat. I knew they were a little dry, and so I tried an emergency solution: i dipped the foot most of the way to the band in some cheap whisky and then let them sit in their open celo wrappers for 2 days. It made a world of difference! They became smooth, rich, and very slightly sweet. I have looked, but can't find anyone else trying this. Did I just get them re-hydrated?

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Well, if they're bitter then the RH % must have been a little higher. Did you leave it outside in the cello, or in the humidor ? I heard how Winston Churchill used to do that, but never thought of trying it until now...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My worry would be that you may get them too wet causing them to split. I've read you can infuse cigars by placing them in a tupperware dish with a shot glass of your favorite whiskey and letting them sit till the glass is empty.
  • slushoslusho Posts: 2
    I had not gotten my humi yet (I'm *very* new) and I had people coming over. I left them on my dresser in the cello wrap w/ the end open so it could shed excess moisture. The dunk was also very brief, just long enough to stick it in and pull it out of the jar.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I tried something similar to that many years ago and it didn't turn out well. I would be suprised if you will be able to do this on a regular basis with continued success.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    My worry would be that you may get them too wet causing them to split. I've read you can infuse cigars by placing them in a tupperware dish with a shot glass of your favorite whiskey and letting them sit till the glass is empty.
    Done it with some Jack. Came out decent. Would only do it with the cheapies though.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky