Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone else here absolutely love sports... and why???

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Well since there seems to be an entire thread put together on why people do not like watching sports, thought I would, without hijacking that thread, get some opposing oppinions on why people do like sports so much. I'll begin.

I really enjoy watching most professional sports. We really enjoy watching football in particular in our household and we'll watch a game that we have absoutely no connection to the teams just in hopes of seeing a spectacular game. I love witnessing people combine extreme mental focus with exteme physical ability and conditioning to perform extraordinary actions.

I love witnessing sports constantly demonstrate the lessons it has to offer over and over again. I love how football is the ultimate example of team work where everyone on each side places their very survival on their team-mates and depends on everyone else to do their job and fill their role or the whole thing crumbles. I like how instant replay enforces justice, ensuring that individuals are rewarded and not penalized for their positive actions.

I enjoy watching and playing golf. I love how the players carry themselves and conduct themselves always (well, almost always) as gentlemen. I love how almost all of them can cheat at several instances throughout the tournament, but choose not to because honor is the biggest part of the game. I can not wait to teach my daughter this game! I love how the 125 players on the PGA Tour donate more money to charity than all other professional american athletes combined!

Well, theres just a few for me. I could go on and on! What are you're experiences?

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Big time sports fan here, for a number of reasons. First and most importantly because I grew up playing them & was VERY blessed to have a multitude of great coaches that taught me how many of the same principles that apply to sports serve you well in the game of life as well.

The importance of teamwork, and in that same vein self sacrifice and serving something higher than yourself.

On the flip side of that coin, knowing that there are going to be times when you may need to put the team on your individual back and carry it where it needs to go to accomplish the goal.

Finding a way to make a difference even when things arent going your way on that particular day.

Overcoming adversity to achieve your goals.

Knowing that even though you may not be the most talented or physically gifted at something, you can still be a success at it if you continue to work hard to improve every single day and never ever quit on yourself.

Coming to the realization that even when you do everything right & work as hard as you can, you can still lose the game. Cool part? You're still a winner for it.

Leading by example - if you dont walk it like you talk it, nobody is ever going to truly respect you or believe in your integrity.

All things that too many people in sports, and in life (Lebron James comes to mind) will never understand.

Home life for me was not what the world would define as ideal growing up. As I said above, I had a lot of good coaches over the years who cared enough about me to not only teach me a sport but also teach me about life. Thanks to those lessons, I have been successful at 90%+ of everything Ive done in life. Thanks to this thread, I will be looking up as many of those people as I can track down to thank them in the near future.

Im a firm believer that if you do the right things the right way in life, you cant help BUT succeed sooner or later. And when you do, there are few greater feelings in this world. Seeing that player who has done everything right his entire career and failed, whether that be due to being stuck on bad teams or fate just not falling their way or whatever.... seeing THAT guy finally becoming a champion, seeing him feel that feeling, has GOT to put a tear in your eye.

And if it doesnt, you're missing out in life.

DISSERTATION COMPLETE :-)

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Very well said Mr. Sniper.
    More proof of the addage "Ask a question, get a SNIPER NOVEL!" LOL

• SalemSalem Posts: 717
    The Sniper:
    Big time sports fan here, for a number of reasons. First and most importantly because I grew up playing them & was VERY blessed to have a multitude of great coaches that taught me how many of the same principles that apply to sports serve you well in the game of life as well.

The importance of teamwork, and in that same vein self sacrifice and serving something higher than yourself.

On the flip side of that coin, knowing that there are going to be times when you may need to put the team on your individual back and carry it where it needs to go to accomplish the goal.

Finding a way to make a difference even when things arent going your way on that particular day.

Overcoming adversity to achieve your goals.

Knowing that even though you may not be the most talented or physically gifted at something, you can still be a success at it if you continue to work hard to improve every single day and never ever quit on yourself.

Coming to the realization that even when you do everything right & work as hard as you can, you can still lose the game. Cool part? You're still a winner for it.

Leading by example - if you dont walk it like you talk it, nobody is ever going to truly respect you or believe in your integrity.

All things that too many people in sports, and in life (Lebron James comes to mind) will never understand.

Home life for me was not what the world would define as ideal growing up. As I said above, I had a lot of good coaches over the years who cared enough about me to not only teach me a sport but also teach me about life. Thanks to those lessons, I have been successful at 90%+ of everything Ive done in life. Thanks to this thread, I will be looking up as many of those people as I can track down to thank them in the near future.

Im a firm believer that if you do the right things the right way in life, you cant help BUT succeed sooner or later. And when you do, there are few greater feelings in this world. Seeing that player who has done everything right his entire career and failed, whether that be due to being stuck on bad teams or fate just not falling their way or whatever.... seeing THAT guy finally becoming a champion, seeing him feel that feeling, has GOT to put a tear in your eye.

And if it doesnt, you're missing out in life.

DISSERTATION COMPLETE :-)

See ya later......going to go play some ball now.......lol! Wow, that was a great post Sniper!!!!!!!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Agree with everything Clearly and Sniper said. And beyond that, I just enjoy watching sports for pure entertainment and competition. My favorites are any kind of pro football, most college football, college basketball, and maybe my most favorite, Pittsburgh Penguins/hockey. But I love watching golf, the Olypmpics, etc. honestly, I can't watch more than a few in Inge of baseball though...just too boring.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    this is cliche, but the 49ers and the SF Giants are literally the only thing that I can talk to my father about...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I will watch (almost) any sport, and not get emotionally attached. Last week I watched Pro Bowling and saw a perfect game. I have happened upon a perfect game in baseball and three no-hitters. I saw a hockey game that was decided in a shoot out with not a single penalty called. Countless memorable moments in every sport from basketball to tennis. I watch sports for the rare moments of glory and remarkable talent. I can't watch soccer though, and I am a Cubs fan.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I enjoy watching sports not only for the competition but to see our human potential. Sadly, so many of these folks don't do so well off the field.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife says I'll watch a hopscotch match if there are no other sports on. I too like the competition and the break from reality. Having worked in a fairly stressful profession, sports were a relief for me, both playing and watching.

As my kids grew up, they were active in sports and I love watching their games and supporting them and their teams.

My father died when I was 14 years of age. We used to watch ballgames together all the time. Several times after he died I was watching a game and said to him, "Did you see that!" only to realize he was no longer there. They are memories I will have forever.
    kaspera79:
    I have happened upon a perfect game in baseball and three no-hitters.
    You just brought back a great sports memory I hadnt thought of in forever... I was in the stands at old Comiskey Park to see a Yankees pitcher by the name of Andy Hawkins throw a no-hitter against my beloved White Sox - AND LOSE! I remember thinking that has got to be THE most demoralizing feeling for a pitcher, and probably his team, EVER!

That was not only the last ballgame I went to back home before I went into the Air Force less than two weeks later, it was also the last game I got to see in Old Comiskey Park (was torn down after that season) but I just realized it was the last ballgame I ever saw with my Dad sitting beside me... how the hell did that happen? We had another 11 years together in this world, and not ONE GAME in all that time???

Unacceptable, and lesson learned - will NOT let this happen with my daughters & I. Ya gotta make time for the important stuff in life. :-)