Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Graycliff G2 Pirate (torpedo)

I got this a few weeks ago, its my second torpedo, and my first Graycliff. I have nothing bad to say about the construction, it is somewhat firm with no big soft spots, and there are no big veins but a crisscrossing of many smaller ones. It seems to vary from mild to medium with a hint of pepper; i can taste a bit of what i believe to be hay or straw. The draw is very loose with only a small about nipped off of the end with my Black-ops Cutter. The ash seems really heavy and tends to fall off on its own about every 1.5 cm or so. My big complaint is the aftertaste between puffs; the only way i can describe it is Peppery soap, not at all enticing. Overall it lands about a 6 out of ten for me, it would do much better if not for that aftertaste.

EDIT: Picture didnt load.

EDIT 2: the smoke is brown and not too thin but smells a bit more like a barnyard than it tastes.

Comments

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I just bought a box of the Presidente's that I'm going to let rest till late spring, when I start golfing again. I dubbed it my favorite golf course smoke of 2011. Always very peppery, buttery smoke. I have not had the Pirate vitola, but I've never had a bad time with the Presidente. Can't go wrong with the price either.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I've heard some good things about these but after my awful 5er of the Profesionales I'm not in any hurry to try other Graycliffs.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    jimmyv723:
    I've heard some good things about these but after my awful 5er of the Profesionales I'm not in any hurry to try other Graycliffs.
    The Profesionales are garbage. Not a big fan of the 1666 either. None of the Graycliff line are worth their price in my opinion. I can tell you I've really enjoyed the G2, G2 Turbo (an AJ Fernandez blend), the Espresso, and the Double Espresso.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    jimmyv723:
    Agreed... mostly. Never had a Graycliff that I had anything good to say about. A couple weeks back I found a G2 at the bottom of the coolidor that someone must have bombed me with Christ only knows how long ago. I just happened to be in the mood for a mild smoke that day, so I figured what the he11 and sparked it up. GREAT experience!!! Super creamy, tons of smoke and none of the pepper or barnyard smells or nasty aftertaste mentioned in the review above. Two lessons to be learned here - first, never say never. Secondly and contrary to popular belief, aging a milder bodied smoke CAN make a world of difference and for the positive.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I like the Turbo. After 6 months to a year they become very nice. Sweetish, smooth, creamy, and the finish leaves a nice leathery, floral taste on your palate. Only thing that sucks is the construction SUCKS. Out of my 5 pack, 4 started to unravel or burn lopsided, even after a year or so... only 1 was perfect, but it has close to 2 years on it.
  • Options
    My roommate had a Turbo he got in a Sampler and he really liked it. It's one of a few Graycliffs I have on my wishlist but I'm just in no real rush to try them. I'll definitely give one of these a shot sometime too though because there are those times when you just want a milder cigar.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    y2pascoe:
    jimmyv723:
    The Profesionales are garbage. Not a big fan of the 1666 either. None of the Graycliff line are worth their price in my opinion. I can tell you I've really enjoyed the G2, G2 Turbo (an AJ Fernandez blend), the Espresso, and the Double Espresso.
    It's funny because I was told that it was my fault and how they were stored but they are the only cigars I've had those issues with out of all the ones I've smoke from my humidor. It wasn't one or even two either but all freakin 5.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    y2pascoe:
    jimmyv723:
    It's funny because I was told that it was my fault and how they were stored but they are the only cigars I've had those issues with out of all the ones I've smoke from my humidor. It wasn't one or even two either but all freakin 5.
    It WASNT your fault, nor was it how you stored them. You got Graycliffed brother. It happens. Learn, go forward, and find quality sticks to spend your hard-earned cash on. :-)

• Options
    The Sniper:
    jimmyv723:
    y2pascoe:
    jimmyv723:
    It WASNT your fault, nor was it how you stored them. You got Graycliffed brother. It happens. Learn, go forward, and find quality sticks to spend your hard-earned cash on. :-)

Oh trust me I know. I explained to them multiple times that no other cigars in my humidor had those issues and it wasn't just one cigar but all of them. Still got told it was the way they were stored. So as a result I looked for other options of places to spend my money and found this site and forum. Haven't spent another dime with them and don't see myself doing so. I wasn't looking for a bunch of free cigars by bringing the issues to their attention but at least them acknowledging the problem and trying to work with me would have been appreciated. But without that happening I wouldn't be here now so it was worth the hassle to end up here.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    The Sniper:
    jimmyv723:
    y2pascoe:
    jimmyv723:

Oh trust me I know. I explained to them multiple times that no other cigars in my humidor had those issues and it wasn't just one cigar but all of them. Still got told it was the way they were stored. So as a result I looked for other options of places to spend my money and found this site and forum. Haven't spent another dime with them and don't see myself doing so. I wasn't looking for a bunch of free cigars by bringing the issues to their attention but at least them acknowledging the problem and trying to work with me would have been appreciated. But without that happening I wouldn't be here now so it was worth the hassle to end up here.
    Im a sucker for a happy ending... :-D