Home General Discussion
Options

Good gosh, how do you decide which cigar??

Now that my humidor is looking ever so good with wonderful cigars in it, I'm wondering how in the heck am I going to decide which cigar to smoke with so many great ones to choose from? And being a noob, I don't know enough about many of them to know which one to try. What do I do, just reach in and grab one?? lol!! So, tell me how it's done. Oh, what a wonderful problem to have!!!!!! lol!!!!

Comments

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Just smoke them. Take notes. Keep the notes. Keep the bands of ones you like in a certain box. Keep the bands of the ones you did not like in another box. You are still in a major trial and error phase of cigars. So keep trying them. Your palate is the only thing that can decide.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Just smoke them. Take notes. Keep the notes. Keep the bands of ones you like in a certain box. Keep the bands of the ones you did not like in another box. You are still in a major trial and error phase of cigars. So keep trying them. Your palate is the only thing that can decide.

Marker's advice is good. And I'll add the comment that if you have an iPhone, Salem, there's an app that lets you keep track of just about anything you might want to keep track of. Otherwise you could start a spreadsheet on your PC to do the record-keeping. I find something is necessary because there's no way I can remember everything.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Marker:

Marker's advice is good. And I'll add the comment that if you have an iPhone, Salem, there's an app that lets you keep track of just about anything you might want to keep track of. Otherwise you could start a spreadsheet on your PC to do the record-keeping. I find something is necessary because there's no way I can remember everything.

+2 I have a app on my phone and on my laptop. This is a good way to keep track and say yea or na to a certain cigar you have. I have every stogie accounted for and the ones I have received as gifts. I keep a photo on photobucket with each name.

• Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I read reviews and then seek out to find ones that get really good reviews. Cigar.com, stogiereview.com and http://robbyrasreviews.com/. Have you tried the Diesel Unlimited? They are cheap and EXCELLENT! Everyone should have a box of these. :)
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salem, being fairly new as well....I try to base my decision on the time of day I'm smoking and how much time I will have to smoke. For example in the mornings when I don't have much time I usually do a smaller vitola/mild-medium body cigar whereas if I'm smoking in the evening after dinner, I like to grab a full body cigar, stronger cigar.

Also as the other folks suggested I think keeping track helps immensely. Even if your notes aren't that detailed, a simple log saying "yes I'd smoke this again" or "no I wouldn't" helps greatly. Also, sent you a PM with a suggested site on how to keep track of your cigars.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You guys are too scientific for me...I just open my humidor and throw a dart from across the room.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    There's definitely times where I'll have one picked out and change my mind once or twice before I actually head downstairs to smoke it.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I just grab whatever makes me drool first.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    jimmyv723:
    There's definitely times where I'll have one picked out and change my mind once or twice before I actually head downstairs to smoke it.
    +1 Agreed! I do that quite often.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    OchoZacho:
    jimmyv723:
    +1 Agreed! I do that quite often.
    +1 heare as well
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    In the thread which asked about keeping inventory, I mentioned the app on my phone. Well one of the features it has is called "Random Selection". When I enter a cigar I can either include or exclude it from "Random Selection". Then when I want it to decide for me, I just press "Random Selction" and it selects a cigar for me. Sometimes I just know what I want.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    with the box of singles that i have, i just close my eyes and grab one. like some of the other guys, i keep notes on the cigars that i've had. i keep a notebook, take notes, tape the band next to the notes so i remember what cigar i had a long time ago.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I base it off how many I can smoke, is there a special occasion, what do I want out of the smoke, or do I want something new
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I write the names of three or four cigars on balls, and then toss the balls in a large tank with a manatee. Whichever one the manatee picks, I smoke. I trust the manatee.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I write the names of three or four cigars on balls, and then toss the balls in a large tank with a manatee. Whichever one the manatee picks, I smoke. I trust the manatee.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    y2pascoe:
    ++++1
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    open humi, pick one out....some things are best left uncomplicated.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Re: Manatee: That's the one!!! Don't know why I didn't think of that myself! LOL!!!!
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    y2pascoe:
    Well played, lol.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Once you have multiple humidors (and you will) then if you are the least bit inclined to be organized, you'll want some sort of tracking system.
    On the other hand, I know a guy who has 1000+ sticks, and really has no idea what he has!
    That's not me, I'm on the other end of the spectrum, kind of close to having cigar OCD.

I did a custom spreadsheet, that lets me keep notes on each stick, tells me where the stick is (each humi broken into various sections), also listed alphabetically and by purchase date.
    So I can look at various parts of the spreadsheet and decide what to smoke
    -a well aged stick
    -something I haven't tried yet
    -maybe one that I thought wasn't that great 6 months ago, but now I want to re-visit it
    -an old favorite
    -one of my more expensive sticks
    -etc
    And I know exactly where that cigar is.

I have all that data at my finger-tips......and for me......that beats rummaging around looking for a suitable cigar.
    I will do a blind grab now and again though.............just to step outside my little OCD box.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Krieger:
    These make me drool, every time!

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    camgfs:
    Krieger:
    These make me drool, every time!

Alright enough of that...if you don't have enough for the whole class, don't go showing off. Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Some times when I don't have a plan on what I'm feeling I put my head on my humi and ask it to tell me.... now this leaves my girl sole searching wondering if she's missed picking up on if I'm crazy... but withing a few minutes they tell me. It starts as a whisper then as it gets louder they start to insult me till I decide to burn their little ass. BTW I'm two bloody mary's deep right now and thats my story LOL.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    jimmyv723:
    oldsoulrevival:
    y2pascoe:
    Well played, lol.
    Glad that was picked up.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Mood, time of day, where I'm going to be, who's going to be around, what I'll be doing, how much time I have, what if anything I will be pairing it with, and if I feel like something specific. That's what dictates it for me, and helps me decide. In the beginning though, I just stuck to wrapper types I liked, and tried to smoke every brand in that wrapper I could.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I close my eyes and point to A cigar. This way I always give each cigar an equal chance at being chosen.