Home Non Cigar Related

Prisoners Making Military Stuff....

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I'm all for prisoners working their **** off for free. . My only problem is that I'd rather good folks that are unemployed and such get the work at a fair wage first.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Murderers, rapists, drug dealers and such are given the choice to either sit in a cell 24/7, or go outside the prison and make needed equipment, saving the American taxpayer billions. Pheebs, if you knew even half the stuff people go to prison for, it'd make your hair stand on end; the fact they're being put to work is fine by me.

Not only are they making things the military needs, they're saving the American taxpayer billions, and they're learning skills that they could use on the outside instead of resorting to the things that got them locked up in the first place.

I fail to see the problem here

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Murderers, rapists, drug dealers and such are given the choice to either sit in a cell 24/7, or go outside the prison and make needed equipment, saving the American taxpayer billions. Pheebs, if you knew even half the stuff people go to prison for, it'd make your hair stand on end; the fact they're being put to work is fine by me.

Not only are they making things the military needs, they're saving the American taxpayer billions, and they're learning skills that they could use on the outside instead of resorting to the things that got them locked up in the first place.

I agree a lot of people in prison are horrible, but there a are a lot of people, who are in there for drug addiction and other things that aren't horrible crimes. There's a lot of documentation on the way the prison systems have been manipulated to get more inmates. However that's not what I'm shocked about, or even their petty wages, I'm shocked that they are making military stuff. I mean have them break rocks or build ovens or something but not sensitive stuff.

And perhaps having them build these things are saving billions of dollars however the prisons are heavily subsidized and it costs billions of dollars to keep people locked up. If there was, I dunno something in place to keep a lot of people out of prison like people addicted to drugs that would save even more.
  • xmacro:

With the unemployment rate like it is, the problem is someone with a family who needs money and health care could be doing it for a decent wage.  See that problem?

• KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    xmacro:

No way they are saving anyone money. the contractor just gets a MUCH nicer bottom line... and if the stuff breaks, nobody will say crap... they get paid to make it, with barely any over-site... now it's made by prisoners. awesome.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    While I have no problem making prisoners work, I DO see a big problem that could arise if we start trying to feed more and more people into prisons to build military equipment. Free labor would be a huge step toward the military industrial complex. We should be very careful how we use prison labor, especially with private interests having way too much pull in Washington these days.