Home General Discussion
Options

Wish I was able to escape

I went to the local B&M on Friday with a friend. While we sat and smoked I overheard a conversation between the owner and someone else that AJ Fernandez was coming in on Saturday. Supposedly he was also there to help the owner with some new house blends. Just wasn't able to escape from the family today to go meet the guy. Would've been cool.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enphrared:
    I went to the local B&M on Friday with a friend. While we sat and smoked I overheard a conversation between the owner and someone else that AJ Fernandez was coming in on Saturday. Supposedly he was also there to help the owner with some new house blends. Just wasn't able to escape from the family today to go meet the guy. Would've been cool.

I missed a chance to meet him, too, but it turned out that I didn't miss a whole lot. It seems he doesn't speak a word of English and you have to deal with an interpreter. Whoopee! For the price of the tickets I just decided to pass. I love his cigars but........
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Next time there's a chance I can meet him I'm gonna jump all over that, he's by far my favorite blender
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when i met him last year his english was rough. however, his passion was strong. it was fun and amazing to watch him work.

i miss Nicaragua.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:
    when i met him last year his english was rough. however, his passion was strong. it was fun and amazing to watch him work.

i miss Nicaragua.
    Whats the cost of living down there like kuz, any idea? And are they friendly towards gringo's?

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    kuzi16:

i miss Nicaragua.
    Whats the cost of living down there like kuz, any idea? And are they friendly towards gringo's?

cost of living is low. everyone i met was nice. not sure i wanna live there though. iduno...
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I bet those tours are awesome
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I have several friends (surfers, world travelers, etc.) who have spent a long stretches in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, and to a lesser extent El Salvador, since the 80s.
    All of them echo this:
    Things have changed, and not for the better, in much of Central America during the last 5 to 10 years.
    Crime is way up, certain "groups" from a larger country to the north are expanding their criminal operations in much of central America.
    There are many areas that are simply not safe if you look like you have anything, or look like you might be able to get something.
    If you travel first class and are careful, probably no issues. Anything else, I'd probably consider an alternative vacation.
    It's a shame.............