Home General Discussion

For those of us who are new, do you research the cigar you will smoke?

Before I smoke any cigar, I first go to cigar.com and read what they have to say about it. Sometimes I will find info other places on the web. I just want to learn about the different cigars and I want to know what to expect beforehand. Sometimes I don't always experience what they say, sometimes I do. I do love to read about the history of the cigar too. In this way, I will learn about the cigars and remember them for the next time. I know you aficionados don't have to worry about this as you already know about them. Any other noobs do this?

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Before I smoke any cigar, I first go to cigar.com and read what they have to say about it. Sometimes I will find info other places on the web. I just want to learn about the different cigars and I want to know what to expect beforehand. Sometimes I don't always experience what they say, sometimes I do. I do love to read about the history of the cigar too. In this way, I will learn about the cigars and remember them for the next time. I know you aficionados don't have to worry about this as you already know about them. Any other noobs do this?

It would be sacreligious if I didn't...
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yes I did this to an excess when I first started,,I still do it now with the new releases, just not as often, always trying to learn more whether its about a blender, a growing region, etc..Enjoy Salem
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I do that and also go on Youtube to see if there are any reviews on the cigar too. I usually smoke the cigar first and then look at the review to see if I picked up the same nuances so I can see how I am doing at developing my palate.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I don't read the sales print as much as I used to because I realize they're trying to sell their product. If I have time I still do read the sales print first before using the search function in the Ratings and Reviews section here. Sometimes I also just google the stick (esp if nothing turns up in Ratings and Reviews) to find a couple of random reviews.

Guess I should also say I only do this for a stick I've never had or not had many of, or something I haven't had in a while. I just like to try to pick out some of the nuances that are brought up in the review, compare/contrast, see if I agree or disagree etc. It's definitely a good thing to do to help develop your palate.
  • I do just for a little advice, but I always approach it as you do understanding that it all comes down to personal preferences. It has helped me recognize the flavors so I can select more of the smokes I like.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I think everyone reads about cigars regardless of what stage of cigar smoking they are in. When the new cigars come out, the aficionados are all over the descriptions/reviews. They want to keep up to speed and stay abreast on the new things coming out. So...I believe everyone reads.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I actually smoke the stogie, take notes or just remember it, then look up reviews or publications on it. I9
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have researched every cigar i have had. there are so many new things out all the time that there is always a cigar that i dont know about. there is always new stuff. there is enough new stuff out there that i am always new at this.

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    I actually smoke the stogie, take notes or just remember it, then look up reviews or publications on it. I9

+1. I start with some research, usually on the forum since I respect the opinion of everyone here, then take notes after smoking said cigar. This helps me keep track of the "must have another of these" and the dog rockets that happen to sneak in.
    I actually smoke the stogie, take notes or just remember it, then look up reviews or publications on it. I dont like reading before I smoke as it makes me WANT to taste the things the reviewer or seller has described... if they tell me they taste chocolate or the musky scent of shiitake mushrooms on the northern slope of a mountain on the 2nd full moon of fall... well, you get the idea. lmao. They may taste pepper and tobacco, I may taste chocolate or nuts. I dont like outside influence possibly affecting my pallet... if that makes sense.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the taste profiles, I try not to read it all the time. Reason being, when I smoke a cigar I'm expecting it to taste what I read. Sometimes it doesn't always match up which throws me off because then I'm forcing myself into thinking that it taste like what its suppose to taste from what I read. Everyone's perception on what a cigar taste like is different. Now for the History, I'm all over that.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    I wonder how one of my posts was divided into two. odd.
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    i actually go to my buddy who got me started. at first i bought anything on sale and then i learned that a lot of that stuff is gimmicky. thanks to THEHOF (his screen name) i can trust any suggestion he gives. in the past 2 years he hasn't suggested anything bad. i guess i just got lucky and found someone to take me under their wing. i FINALLY was able to repay him with the bomb. he has always just given me AMAZING sticks and i wish i could have made the bomb bigger. if you get a chance to trade with him do it. my personal best friend and also my mentor, "The Hofenheimer" Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    slickric:
    i actually go to my buddy who got me started. at first i bought anything on sale and then i learned that a lot of that stuff is gimmicky. thanks to THEHOF (his screen name) i can trust any suggestion he gives. in the past 2 years he hasn't suggested anything bad. i guess i just got lucky and found someone to take me under their wing. i FINALLY was able to repay him with the bomb. he has always just given me AMAZING sticks and i wish i could have made the bomb bigger. if you get a chance to trade with him do it. my personal best friend and also my mentor, "The Hofenheimer" Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Real nice bomb you gave him!!!
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    Salem:
    slickric:
    Real nice bomb you gave him!!!
    its the least i could do. he is always giving me GREAT sticks and i never had the chance to repay him, he knew more about cigars than me. what do you give the man who's had everything? finally i saved stick after painstaking stick to TRY to make up for what he has done for me. i just hope i put a dent in the debt i owe him.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I read about cigars more than I smoke them. Most of my new purchases are based on comments from this forum.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    thats an awesome bomb, thats great you found a mentor im learning everything on my own, none of my friends smoke stogies but im trying to change that slowly but surely
    big chunks:
    thats an awesome bomb, thats great you found a mentor im learning everything on my own, none of my friends smoke stogies but im trying to change that slowly but surely
    you ever visit Zigari cigar haven in Ontario?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thing to do especially at first, you learn what types of tobaccos come from certain regions and what flavors are most common to those areas and tobaccos. When you get a cigar you really like and learn what tobaccos go into it then you know what your looking for in your next purchase.
    i havent, i seen it its right off the freeway going to Ontario Mills. Ive been to Davids gifts and tobacco in Rancho Cucamonga by victoria gardens, they have a good selection but they dont have a lounge
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I absolutely do - I have found 3 or 4 sites that I tend to agree with, and I try to see if they have anything to say about them before I make the purchase. There are, however, cigars that I am just too interested in trying, and I really couldn't care less what anyone else has to say about them. Room 101 is one of those brands - I really do not know what other people think about them, but I reaaaally want to try their cigars sometime. But I digress. In short - I almost always read up on cigars before I buy them.
    big chunks:
    i havent, i seen it its right off the freeway going to Ontario Mills. Ive been to Davids gifts and tobacco in Rancho Cucamonga by victoria gardens, they have a good selection but they dont have a lounge
    It's a lounge. Pretty nice walk-in humi too. But you can't beat Davids prices.
    yeah davids has very reasonable prices especially for california, im trying to find a lounge where i can just relax, i think ill give that one a try, do you know any other shops with hard to get cigars
    big chunks:
    yeah davids has very reasonable prices especially for california, im trying to find a lounge where i can just relax, i think ill give that one a try, do you know any other shops with hard to get cigars
    PM sent Brother
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Salem, I almost always try to read what others say. While I agree to a point, that sometimes you taste what others suggest you will, that is fine with me...as it helps me to confirm that flavour. There are times when I don't have or take the time, but with highly rated, or 'special' cigars I really like to learn from what others have shared. I guess enough people must read the reviews or why would people type or video them???
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    As a noob, I always do...but honestly I have better luck shopping with my eyes and the Recommendations here. Smoke a wide array and you learn quick. I killed a lot of my first buys, I rarely do that now but it takes time to figure out what you like. Singles and samplers are what I got for the first year and I still love buying singles at the b&m even though I get raped. Cigars are subjective, but you honestly cannot go wrong with some even if it's not your favorite
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    This is my method as well, I don't want to be biased toward a certain experience and would rather find out for myself first. Also, as someone else mentioned, the write-ups are often trying to sell you something.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is my method as well, I don't want to be biased toward a certain experience and would rather find out for myself first. Also, as someone else mentioned, the write-ups are often trying to sell you something.
    Yeah, what Umwhat said! I do the same thing for the exact same reasons... I dont want to read about hints of something or another before I smoke something and then not be disappointed if I dont experience it. Would rather let the cigar come to me so to speak, and give me what it gives.

When I was new to the hobby, I used to go do research AFTER I'd smoked something, in order to get a better handle of what I like and what I dont as far as wrappers, strengths, countries of manufacture, etc. After a while of doing that, I got a much better handle of what was likely to be a winner for me.

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    I don't read the sales print as much as I used to because I realize they're trying to sell their product. If I have time I still do read the sales print first before using the search function in the Ratings and Reviews section here. Sometimes I also just google the stick (esp if nothing turns up in Ratings and Reviews) to find a couple of random reviews.

Guess I should also say I only do this for a stick I've never had or not had many of, or something I haven't had in a while. I just like to try to pick out some of the nuances that are brought up in the review, compare/contrast, see if I agree or disagree etc. It's definitely a good thing to do to help develop your palate.
    This.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    The Sniper:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Yeah, what Umwhat said! I do the same thing for the exact same reasons... I dont want to read about hints of something or another before I smoke something and then not be disappointed if I dont experience it. Would rather let the cigar come to me so to speak, and give me what it gives.

When I was new to the hobby, I used to go do research AFTER I'd smoked something, in order to get a better handle of what I like and what I dont as far as wrappers, strengths, countries of manufacture, etc. After a while of doing that, I got a much better handle of what was likely to be a winner for me.

I try and get the cigar information(wrapper, country, blender, etc) and ask a few close BotL what they think(good, bad, or other), but I don't seek out tasting notes(floral, dried fruit, chocolate, etc) or such until after I have smoked it. It's fun to compare notes thought and see what some people pick up a flavor notes.