Home General Discussion
Options

whats your thoughts

i have noticed going through these forums, reviews and other sites that alot of cigar smokers don't go past the cigar band and end their experience there with the cigar. now i try to nub every cigar as long as its mediocre and obviously if i enjoy the cigar. there are a few instances where i don't, such as too tired to go on or if the cigar is just that bad where i want to end it. i have noticed on many cigars that are so-so that sometimes the last inch or two is better than the first 3/4. if i would have put it out sooner i obviously wouldn't have noticed this. so knowing cigars usually change during smoking, if you are a person that lays a cigar down at the band why is this your practice and do you ever wonder what is beyond the band? i'm just curious as too how others approach their smoking experience.

Comments

• Options
    Bsneed51Bsneed51 Posts: 22
    Usually the only reason I lay a cigar down when it hits the band is when the cigar is burning hot, and starts getting bitter at that point. I do agree that a lot of cigars seem to get better in the last 1/3, but I smoke cigars to relax and enjoy myself. If my cigar starts burning hot, I don't like to have to "work" at making the last part of it smokable. I have nubbed many a cigar, but there are occassions that I will put one down early.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I smoke them until I can no longer enjoy it, period, no hard set portion that I will not smoke beyond. I had one last week that was great through the second third and just incredible in the last third, when all was said and done, I had less than an inch left that was not ash. And I've had the ones where half way through I just cannot go on, usually I'll grind those into the dirt to spite the cigar for not being nubable. I mean how dare it not be good to the very end, right?

Joe
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I'm with joe on this one. I smoke a cigar until I no longer enjoy it. I like the experience of the changes within the cigar and usually smoke it till the very end. There have been times when I just know it will not get better and decide it is better to start fresh with a different cigar. I always take the band off before lighting so I have no set stop point. The stop point is when the stick lets me know it has nothing left to offer.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I smoke them until I can no longer enjoy it
    Ditto

this means ive stopped after about 2 inches, and on the other extream, ive put the end of the cigar in my corn cob pipe and finished that...
  • Options
    golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    On the golf course I do not usually nub my cigars. When I am sitting on the deck everything gets nubbed, unless, it is a bad cigar which doesn't happen that often!
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I nub almost all of my cigars, unless they are so awful that I just can't stand it. Even mediocre sticks, I will nub in hopes that they have a better finish.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I agree with everyone else, if I can nub it, it gets nubbed.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I smoke a cigar till I am no longer enjoying it. usually that time comes at the same time the last bit becomes acrid, usually around the band. I have found no ryme or reason for it to happen to one cigar but not the next, seems to just be a roll of the dice.
  • Options
    Most days by the time I get to the band I've enjoyed the cigar, experienced its flavor and am feeling ready to go back inside and do other things. Not a hard and fast rule, sometimes it's a little before, sometimes exactly, and sometimes I have to take the band off and stay outside for a few more minutes. Of course, if it's an awesome cigar and I'm absolutely loving it, or the weather outside is really great and it's even an OK cigar, I will nub it. Or, of course, if it's one of those cigars with a ridiculous amount of band/cigar ratio (*cough* Graycliff Double Espresso *cough*).

In short, I smoke the cigar until it's no longer enjoyable, like most others on here seem to suggest.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it seems like we all smoke to the same point: untill it stops being enjoyable.

this remeinds me of a quote i heard very early in my cigar smoking life. (made by cigar dave on the cigar dave show) the question was asked "how do you know what is a good cigar" he responded to the caller by saying "when you put it to your lips and draw, if you like it, then it is a good cigar."

truer words were never spoken.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Bsneed51:
    Usually the only reason I lay a cigar down when it hits the band is when the cigar is burning hot, and starts getting bitter at that point.
    Exactly. Other than that, I to smoke as much of it as possible. IMO, it's wasted money and tobacco when there's still a couple inches left on the cigar.