Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Anyone smoked the Camacho Pre-Embargo before?

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
I was wondering what exactly to expect, I just bought the 5ct. box sampler ccom has.

Has anyone had this stick before?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had it. It's pretty good, medium-full in strength with a pretty good flavor. Pricey, but worth trying.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Joe, I was actually wondering about this one myself. Just bought a 3 pack a few days ago. Figure I'll have one soon and let the others age as long as I can.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've had them. Not all they are cracked up to be but not terrible. Just not worth the money. I bought two I think but got the other I have in the custom sampler.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I've had them. Not all they are cracked up to be but not terrible. Just not worth the money. I bought two I think but got the other I have in the custom sampler.

did you let them age, if i may ask? if so how long?
  • Options
    I should have mentioned that I too don't feel they are worth the asking price. If you can get one for a good deal, like $10, then it's worth trying, but for $25 the cigar can't help but disappoint. Still a good cigar, but like the Gurkha Centurion, it's not worth $25.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt pay 25 for the pre embargo (never had one) and i wouldnt pay 25 for a centurion... i would however pay 10-15 for a centurion. ill have to suck it up for the pre embargo once to determine its value to me.
  • Options
    I picked mine up for 10 a piece, so I'm feeling good about that purchase.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    bacon.jay:
    rwheelwright:

If they really are PE, then they have been aging for at least 47 years
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    rwheelwright:

Yeah. I want to say about 6 months but it may have been 5 or 7. I have a few left.
  • Options
    vankleekkw:
    bacon.jay:
    rwheelwright:

Yes and no. There is PE tobacco in there but it is mixed with other filler. The Binder and Wrapper are not PE.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    vankleekkw:
    bacon.jay:
    rwheelwright:

Yes and no. There is PE tobacco in there but it is mixed with other filler. The Binder and Wrapper are not PE.
    I know, I just like poking at the sticks that claim Havana origin trying to capitalize on it.
  • Options
    vankleekkw:
    rwheelwright:
    vankleekkw:
    bacon.jay:
    rwheelwright:

I know, I just like poking at the sticks that claim Havana origin trying to capitalize on it.
    All marketing man, but you know that already
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I've also picked up a couple of them...going to let them sit for a few months before burning.

I wonder how much actual PE tobacco the cigar contains? Any one heard anything about it? Isn't it possible to put like a tiny piece of a leaf in the blend, and then use the magic of advertising to claim the cuban tobacco?
  • Options
    I read somewhere that they claim 20% of the filler is PE tobacco. How true that claim is, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    ??? Just saw some real PE Por Larrangas going for $75 a stick.
  • Options
    Wow, that's incredible. I've seen some PE Montes going for nearly twice that price. I don't know who would pony up that kind of dough, but I certainly hope the cigar is damn near perfect for that kind of money.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when i was in vegas i saw some Garcia y Vega pre embargo

$200 a pop.

i didnt pick one up.

take that with a grain of salt though. Everything is expensive in vegas. I saw some Honduran Sancho Panzas for 15 each.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    These are great sticks. It is about 20% Cuban filler. However, the real treat in this cigar is the corojo wrapper that was harvested about 10 years ago. Camacho has some amazing wrapper and the wrapper on the PE was from their very first crop. They set aside a limited amount for special projects like this one. Sadly, this cigar will not be around much longer. We are running out of materials.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks for clearing that up Alex
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Bringing this thread back to the future a bit...

Just had my first Camacho PE this morning as a tribute to our friend and BOTL kent1146, who pm'd me last Monday to let me know his cancer surgery was a success and he was recovering comfortably! EXCELLENT news!

I have to say, this was a different cigar than any other than I have previously smoked. Ive never thought of a cigar as "delicate" before, but this stick was SO light in my hand thats how I felt about it. Dont get me wrong - absolutely NO problems with the construction, and the stick held up great while I was smoking it (in fact, the burn was one of the best Ive ever seen), but holding it was like holding a feather - especially for a toro). Something else unique to this cigar - I lost the ash about every inch or so... not sure what that was due to, but it didnt affect the burn a bit.

I found this to be an excellent smoke. The first third (particularly the first inch or so) announced its presence with authority - lots of pepper & spice! It mellowed out immediately thereafter to extremely smooth creaminess with notes of cinnamon & leather. Razor sharp burn that required no touch-ups, although it was a rather quick burn (60 minute burn time for a toro, which is 15 minutes less than what I usually get out of a robusto). Was a shame too, because this is a stick I was sad to see end when I nubbed it.

One other note which was unique to this stick - this was the first time I was ever "snuck up on" by the strength of a stick. The entire time I was smoking it I would have told you it was a mild to medium, but when I got done with it I realized I had a MAJOR LEAGUE BUZZ going on! :-) A very unique and enjoyable stick that I recommend every BOTL try at some point. I dont think it justifies a $25-30 dollar price point, but then again I dont think ANY cigar does. Pick up some on a sale and enjoy!

Again, big congrats to our BOTL Kent on his successful surgery!

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Just had my first Camacho PE this morning as a tribute to our friend and BOTL kent1146, who pm'd me last Monday to let me know his cancer surgery was a success and he was recovering comfortably! EXCELLENT news!

I have to say, this was a different cigar than any other than I have previously smoked. Ive never thought of a cigar as "delicate" before, but this stick was SO light in my hand thats how I felt about it. Dont get me wrong - absolutely NO problems with the construction, and the stick held up great while I was smoking it (in fact, the burn was one of the best Ive ever seen), but holding it was like holding a feather - especially for a toro). Something else unique to this cigar - I lost the ash about every inch or so... not sure what that was due to, but it didnt affect the burn a bit.

I found this to be an excellent smoke. The first third (particularly the first inch or so) announced its presence with authority - lots of pepper & spice! It mellowed out immediately thereafter to extremely smooth creaminess with notes of cinnamon & leather. Razor sharp burn that required no touch-ups, although it was a rather quick burn (60 minute burn time for a toro, which is 15 minutes less than what I usually get out of a robusto). Was a shame too, because this is a stick I was sad to see end when I nubbed it.

One other note which was unique to this stick - this was the first time I was ever "snuck up on" by the strength of a stick. The entire time I was smoking it I would have told you it was a mild to medium, but when I got done with it I realized I had a MAJOR LEAGUE BUZZ going on! :-) A very unique and enjoyable stick that I recommend every BOTL try at some point. I dont think it justifies a $25-30 dollar price point, but then again I dont think ANY cigar does. Pick up some on a sale and enjoy!

Good news about Kent, I to have never had the PE but I have 4 of them resting for the last 8 months or so. After this review, I must try it the next time I have a chance!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    The Sniper:

Good news about Kent, I to have never had the PE but I have 4 of them resting for the last 8 months or so. After this review, I must try it the next time I have a chance!
    And 1 resting for not that long. I would have offered to send you one but since you have 4 resting and it triggered my memory that I ALREADY sent you one, I won't,. LOL.

Also, good news for Kent, any successful surgery is a good one. I hope a speedy recovery is on the way.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    firetruckguy:
    The Sniper:

And 1 resting for not that long. I would have offered to send you one but since you have 4 resting and it triggered my memory that I ALREADY sent you one, I won't,. LOL.

Also, good news for Kent, any successful surgery is a good one. I hope a speedy recovery is on the way.
    Ill figure out how to get it out of you buddy.......the day is still young ;)
  • Options
    yeah i have 6 of them havnt smoked any of them though waiting to let them age
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    bandyt09:
    firetruckguy:
    The Sniper:

Ill figure out how to get it out of you buddy.......the day is still young ;)
    Must log off C.com now, LOL.
  • Options
    Christian_Sapp:
    yeah i have 6 of them havnt smoked any of them though waiting to let them age
    Christian, if you have 6, my suggestion, smoke 1 now and let the others age so you have something to compare it to. I have had a few over the past couple of years and when Alex put them on special at Christmas i picked up a box, I feel the real gem of the cigar is the Jamastran wrapper. Here is what Alexsaid about the wrapper "However, the real treat in this cigar is the corojo wrapper that was harvested about 10 years ago. Camacho has some amazing wrapper and the wrapper on the PE was from their very first crop".
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I got a few from the Ccom catalog blooper/misprint.

It's a good medium-bodied stick, and I like it. That said, it ain't worth $25 IMO, so try to get them in a trade or with a COTM discount. It's worth trying at least once or twice, but due to price, this is one that won't be a regular in my humi.
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    I think alex confimed that in another post. I have one but haven't tried it yet. I'd like to get one more. Its the wrapper that seems to be the best part. Does anyone know of a cheaper cigar with the same 99 jam wrapper?
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    SmokySuit:
    I think alex confimed that in another post. I have one but haven't tried it yet. I'd like to get one more. Its the wrapper that seems to be the best part. Does anyone know of a cheaper cigar with the same 99 jam wrapper?
    I don't think it's the same vintage, but the Camacho Corojo has a Jamastran corojo wrapper and it is an absolutely fantastic smoke!
  • Options
    just smoked one last night and top 3 cigar, amazing have to pick up more.