Home General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    What is the $410B for? Anothe bailout/stimulus? I hate the way our lawmakers operate. Propose one thing, vote on it, move on. All the piggybacking is sickening.
  • Options
    Vince_OVince_O Posts: 281 ✭✭
    I dont have a dog in this fight, No family in Cuba or any ties to the island but for a LOVE of GREAT cigars , I dont want to see the embargo lifted , on cigars , as the demand will go sky high, the price will go HIGHER than it is NOW & Quality will be in the toilet, as well as the famed cuban tobacco , will be in short supply to fit the demand & they will import sub standard leaves from other places diluting the CUBA PURO to no more than the maulti national blends we get today at a lot lower price , I dont know if any of you were here during the boom in cigars when the yuppie s decieded that cigar s were cool, I was paying 27 bucks for a box of 10 Cannones( 8.5 x 52 ) from Fuente , now I have seen them at 9 bucks a stick ...... I have been a fan of cigars since 1955 , & I dont want the general public to mess up a good thing again.......... sure its nice to pick up a few new customers here & there , But I dont want to see the bottom fall out again like it did , companys were shipping out GARBAGE & charging a TON for the BS they were trying to pass off as Vintage smokes , its all going to be BULL $h1T.......... JMHO Enjoy, Vince
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I agree Vince, I'm not looking forward to any Cuban cigars that come after the embargo is lifted, if it is indeed lifted. I've heard estimates that it would take 5 years of garbage before Cuban tobacco was near good quality if the embargo were to be lifted. It's a double edged sword at best, the lifting of the embargo makes for readily available Cuban cigars, but the downside is a cigar nobody, save for the people brought in by the stigma of smoking a Cuban, would want.

I guess if this gets closer to being lifted, I'll just have to stock up while the cigars are still decent.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    I agree Vince, I'm not looking forward to any Cuban cigars that come after the embargo is lifted, if it is indeed lifted. I've heard estimates that it would take 5 years of garbage before Cuban tobacco was near good quality if the embargo were to be lifted. It's a double edged sword at best, the lifting of the embargo makes for readily available Cuban cigars, but the downside is a cigar nobody, save for the people brought in by the stigma of smoking a Cuban, would want.

I guess if this gets closer to being lifted, I'll just have to stock up while the cigars are still decent.
    ,BR. I think if its lifted there will be oppurtunity for american co,s to go in and help re-vitalize the soil and this will help bring the cuban cigar market back a little quicker than some estimates....but then again what do I know ....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well Gene, from the info I've read, the condition of soil in Cuba is not so great as it is now, the government just doesn't allow enough fertilizer to keep the soil viable. So even without the embargo being lifted, the condition of the soil will just continue to deteriorate. I know what you meant, but I think it would be a case of too little, too late...sooner or later they'll exhaust the growing regions, embargo or no embargo.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    Well Gene, from the info I've read, the condition of soil in Cuba is not so great as it is now, the government just doesn't allow enough fertilizer to keep the soil viable. So even without the embargo being lifted, the condition of the soil will just continue to deteriorate. I know what you meant, but I think it would be a case of too little, too late...sooner or later they'll exhaust the growing regions, embargo or no embargo.

You are proably correct Joe thats a sad situation for that little island south of miami
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Trying to look on the bright side, a friend of mine mentioned this: the lift on the embargo may actually drive down the price of good cigars from outside of cuba because cubans would be in such high demand, at least for the first few years until people got it out of their systems and the mystique was gone.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Sure hope that happens Rob, some of us might finally get our hands on some higher end sticks for a decent price now. Crossing my fingers for a 20$ HMR, of course after I get my money fountain, free mansion and supermodel girlfriend. Almost forgot, I want a pony too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Trying to look on the bright side, a friend of mine mentioned this: the lift on the embargo may actually drive down the price of good cigars from outside of cuba because cubans would be in such high demand, at least for the first few years until people got it out of their systems and the mystique was gone.
    i figure just the opposite would happen. I work with about a dozen people that dont smoke cigars because they "arent cubans so whats the point" (obviously they are idiots) I have a feeling they arent alone. all of those people will run out and start buying cigars and "cigars" not just "cuban cigars" will be cool again.... another boom. prices on all cigars will go up.