Home Cigar 101
Options

It's not the humidity it's the HEAT!

2»

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Your wife must have expensive tastes, that whole buy her something I get something has worked for me for a long time, but I have not yet reached the diamond level..Sorry for you ..(just kidding ) I am sure she deserves it..how many different box stock items do you have in mind anyway? Must be a BIG plan.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I found a 48 bottle wine cooler on craigslist. Picking it up tomorrow :). For now I'm just going to put my humidors inside the wine cooler. Maybe I'll convert it into a coolerdor later.
  • Options
    Its ugly but it'll do the job.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    One other question... I've since moved my cigars into my humi (boveda packs in it for 7 days straight) and I have moved it out of the basement.

Now the heat is upwards of 80% heat and 74% humidity inside my Humi. I've taken suggestions of putting those pre-made plastic ice cubes in my humi and I notice that when the temp goes down. (now at 74 degrees) the humidity goes down too (now at 65%)

Is it normal for the humidity and temp to go down simultaneausly? Any help would be great!

-Nate
  • Options
    The cooler temperature probably causes moisture in the air to condense and be absorbed by the cedar and/or cigars, instead of floating around in gaseous form, whereas higher temps will cause more water to evaporate into the air and raise the humidity.

That's my educated guess, anyway.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I found a 48 bottle wine cooler on craigslist. Picking it up tomorrow :). For now I'm just going to put my humidors inside the wine cooler. Maybe I'll convert it into a coolerdor later.
    if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for said wine fridge?
  • Options
    Stole it for $60
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Stole it for $60
    no kiddin. at that kinda price i may have to start lookin.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Lasabar:
    Is it normal for the humidity and temp to go down simultaneausly? Any help would be great!

Yes, Nate, it is.  Cooler air is denser, and denser air doesn't have as much room in it to hold water vapor, so as air cools, some of the water vapor (humidity) is squeezed out.  This is what causes dew, for example.

In your humidor, the moisture is absorbed by the wood & cigars (and some of it escapes to the outside air, since a humidor isn't completely sealed), as Herr Firegod mentioned.
  • Options
    I wasn't going to buy it bc I thought they said it would only go to 60 but apparently the dial only shows 60 but it should hald a nice 65-70 which IMO would be perfect. Whats you opinion on temp kuzi? is 60-70 the right range? I'm picking it up this afternoon!
  • Options
    gotta love craigslist!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I wasn't going to buy it bc I thought they said it would only go to 60 but apparently the dial only shows 60 but it should hald a nice 65-70 which IMO would be perfect. Whats you opinion on temp kuzi? is 60-70 the right range? I'm picking it up this afternoon!
    60-70 is perfect.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    urbino:
    Lasabar:

Yes, Nate, it is.  Cooler air is denser, and denser air doesn't have as much room in it to hold water vapor, so as air cools, some of the water vapor (humidity) is squeezed out.  This is what causes dew, for example.

In your humidor, the moisture is absorbed by the wood & cigars (and some of it escapes to the outside air, since a humidor isn't completely sealed), as Herr Firegod mentioned.
    Oops. Wait, wait, wait. You're measuring relative humidity, Nate, right? In that case, everything I said is irrelevant; it applies only to absolute humidity. I can't think of any reason why the relative humidity should change at all as the temperature changes.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    60-70 is perfect.

Great! She's in my pantry now, going to clean and sanitze her tonight and fire her up. She sould have a few humidors in her tomorrow. OH and just so you guys know a 48 bottle wine fridge is huge. Its like 3'x3'x3'. It would easily hold a coolerdor and 4 or 5 desktop humidors.
  • Options
    if there is a smell left over in the cooler (from the previous owner or from chemicals used to clean it) wipe it down with a clean non-soapy damp cloth. dray it with a clean cloth and FILL the cooler with crumpled up news paper. leave it in there for 2-3 days. repeat as needed.
  • Options
    Good call ... but for now I'm just placing my sealed humis inside. I'm not going to convert it to a fridgeador ... YET. So I'm just going to wipe it out with this biodegradable so safe you can drink it(and watched the salesman do it!) cleaner I have, it also has NO smell or taste, interesting eh? But if I do convert it I'll definetly do the newspaper trick.