Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Macro Photography.

Comments

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    After loosing almost everything I worked my life for waiting on my disability, I bought the camera I have always wished for, a Canon D-60 with several attachments.
    The cost was through the roof but as I can no longer get around good, I needed a hobby I could explore from a power chair as I find it harder and harder to walk.
    This is why I plan now to reanimate this thread!
    Send your photos my friends, I enjoyed every one posted.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    A very cool macro shot IMO
    Not sure who to credit it wasnt me though just for clarification..
  • Options
    Today I ordered in a EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM that produces true life sized reproduction along with a 0.43 HD AF wide angle lens.
    This along with a few other toys recently purchased should give some interesting results.
    Some say that I must be crazy to spend so much on photography equipment but it in no way compares to what I lost waiting for my disability to finally clear the courts.
    I hope for some really interesting shots to be posted in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    Teege:

Very cool shot no matter who the photographer might be!
  • Options

• Options
    I finally managed to shoot my first, by the true definition, macro shot.
    This is a Rosemary Bud from my garden, about the size of a pencil lead.
    For this shot I used a Canon D-60 coupled To a Canon EF 100 F/2.8 Macro Lens.
    Not the best photo out there ,true, but as I get the chance to practice I expect some decent shots with this lens.

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Do these shots require a tripod?
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, Rodney, I think that shot looks pretty amazing. I've always been fascinated by Macro, but I can't even take a still shot worth posting on facebook so I've never bothered to try it. That rosemary is a great subject between the individual "needles" and the buds. You can really see some of the details, the texture and the white stripe. It almost makes me feel like I can smell it! I love fresh rosemary.

RBeckom:
    I finally managed to shoot my first, by the true definition, macro shot.
    This is a Rosemary Bud from my garden, about the size of a pencil lead.
    For this shot I used a Canon D-60 COUPLED To a Canon EF 100 F/2.8 Macro Lens.
    Not the best photo out there ,true, but as I get the chance to practice I expect some decent shots with this lens.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Do these shots require a tripod?

Not if you have a steady hand, unfortunately I do not, so I do in fact use a tripod.
    As the subjects become smaller a tripod would definitely be needed.
  • Options
    I have had this particular Rosemary bush for five years.
    It spreads over six feet and is about five feet tall.
    The smell in the spring is almost overpowering, in a good way, of course.
  • Options
    Two of Oak worms while still a half inch long.
    photo IMG_2050_zps652d0ff8.jpg
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    You can also get macro filters (usually a +1, +2 and +3) that will let you get amazingly close. And it saves you a ton of money on having to buy a lens. I think I got my filters used in perfect condition for about $15-20 bucks for the set of 3. Plus you can stack them.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    You can also get macro filters (usually a +1, +2 and +3) that will let you get amazingly close. And it saves you a ton of money on having to buy a lens. I think I got my filters used in perfect condition for about $15-20 bucks for the set of 3. Plus you can stack them.

You can also get them by the ten pack for less than twenty dollars and they work along with your Macro Lenses if you have them. Now in that, as you mentioned, they are stackable you can get really amazing photos. I will post some in the future with the Macro and the magnifiers attached and let us see the micro world.
  • Options
    One of an Angel Trumpet in my yard late at night. Yes I know it's not macro but I found it appealing anyway.

Angel Trumpet. photo 100_7184_zps6b54a620.jpg
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    yup i need a macro lens now....thanks alot.
  • Options
    Imgembo:
    yup i need a macro lens now....thanks alot.

Ebay, and search out:
    NEW Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens For EOS Canon SLR... (200894508968) Member id gammerjammer :
    He is a little more expensive than some of his competitor's but he is reliable and fast in service and will not hesitate to resolve any issues you may have. I have made multiple purchases from him and am completely satisfied though this one lens set me back a little over five-hundred dollars. It was and is worth it in the long run simply because the quality is outstanding. This in no way states that some cheaper lenses are not of as good of quality, but this seller I can personally vouch for. In most stores you would pay around seven-hundred for the same lens.
    I hope this helps though I know the price is a shocker.
    :-)
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    One of an Angel Trumpet in my yard late at night. Yes I know it's not macro but I found it appealing anyway.

Angel Trumpet. photo 100_7184_zps6b54a620.jpg

Funny thing about this shot, I took it with a seventy-five dollar Kodak C-190. The cheapest camera I own. Sometimes things just seem to fall into place. It is a shame that Kodak is no longer, they made some great, cheap and most importantly, reliable camera's. This one is already five years old and still works flawlessly.
  • Options
    The same flower magnified to show the detail this simple little camera can capture.

• Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Started exploring the world of macrophotography a few months ago.

Canon 40d w/EFs 100 2.8 macro lens and some with a 1.4x extender.

Red Hibiscus fruit image

Hungry little critter image

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are great!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teege:
    This is the outstandingest pic here.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    timtomtimtom Posts: 40
    Though not true macro, still a beautiful photo and a promise of things shortly to come with Spring in the air.
    Life is grand and I can still remember the cigar I was smoking last Spring when I took this photo, my favorite of all time, a Casa Magna Colorado. A truly gratifying day. Walking around a pond that I had dug personally with a Bobcat. Watching large Bass swim around thinking of the Catfish already stocked, along with Bream and Shell Cracker, than will be on the menu this spring. Yes, in all aspects a great day.
    Rodney
    :-)
  • Options

Soon my camera will once again know of fresh air and photos will closely follow.

Any others awaiting spring as fervently as I?

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Excitedly. It's too damn cold :)
    I really want to walk around the park when I smoke in the mornings.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom said:

Soon my camera will once again know of fresh air and photos will closely follow.

Any others awaiting spring as fervently as I?

raises hand, not much to do in winter except pictures of snow, seagulls, and leafless trees here.
  • Options
    A new macro adjusting rail with more precise controls is now in my camara bag. Hopefully it will greatly enhance my macro work and some will be worthy of posting soon.
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tinker with Macro. Shoot a Nikon D-700 or a D-90. Use mostly a Nikon Micro 70-180 lens. Like I said I tinker with it. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    A D-60 for me with a full complement of assorted lenses and gadgets for it. I find it relaxing chasing critters around for that perfect photo. Glad to hear someone else enjoys macro.