Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 Vegas Relic - What do you think?

So, the daily deal right now has some of my favorite cigars (La Aurora Preferido Maduro no.2) along with 5 I have never had (5 vegas relic). For 35 dollars, I am willing to buy it just for the la auroras, but what about the relics? Anyone have any thoughts about them?

Comments

• Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    So, the daily deal right now has some of my favorite cigars (La Aurora Preferido Maduro no.2) along with 5 I have never had (5 vegas relic). For 35 dollars, I am willing to buy it just for the la auroras, but what about the relics? Anyone have any thoughts about them?
    +1 never had a relic eitherwondering also
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you put a good amount of time on the Relic its a good smoke. i really dont like them fresh at all.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've had 'em and they are very "airy"...they burn up very quickly. They've got good flavor, but if I performed they way the relic does, the wife would have me on industrial strength ****.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I personally like the 5V Relic. My wife bought a box for me when they first came out (she liked the box). Not overly complex, strength is at the upper-end of medium, and the flavor profile is nice, especially with a few month's rest.

Although for $5 less, I might hit the ESV '91 2nds. The bundle I bought a year or so ago was super tasty. Minor (extremely minor) color variations on the wrappers, but smoked like firsts.

***Edit*** For what it's worth, I just hit the ESV 2nds.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not a fan of the Relic, out of half a box I had one that smoked good. I didn't feel the flavor was anything special either, certainly not worth keeping around to me.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love them, but, as Kuzi said, they need time. I've bought them that were pretty fresh and needed about 6 months or more to really come into their own. The last couple of times I've bought them, however, they must have gotten their required time in storage, because they were really good with just 3 or 4 weeks in the humidor. So, if you get them and find that they are still quite oily, tend to burn a little funny, and aren't pretty smooth, just rotate them to the bottom and try one again in a couple months.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    j0z3r:
    Not a fan of the Relic, out of half a box I had one that smoked good. I didn't feel the flavor was anything special either, certainly not worth keeping around to me.

I didn't like them either. I had mine for about 3-4 weeks in the humi.The one I tried was very airy, burned fast and the taste was not enjoyable. It looked very dry to me, didn't appear oily at all.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    i just had one this morning, i thought it was very good. draw was a little tight, decent burn, only had to touch it up twice. pretty tasty. just made my order for todays daily deal.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I wasn't impressed with them at 6 weeks, or at 6 months. It tasted like something that might do better with some real age on it, but they were too inconsistent to merit the effort, and space on my part.
  • Options
    I love them. They are in my top 10 favorite cigars.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I had one that I got from Spindrift back in December and I enjoyed it. All of the stuff he gave me had about a year or more on them though so I'm sure that helped too.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Not a fan...burn and draw problems. After a few like this I am done with it. Permanently that is. Too many good cigars to deal with second rates ones like this.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I smoked this one on Christmas eve...

I have no idea how much age it had because it was given to me in a bomb... but it was damn good. Burn and draw was great, and it was surprisingly complex. Nice leather and spice and it even had a bit of cherry sweetness on the finish when retrohaled.

From what I've heard, they are not very consistent, so I will prob not be purchasing any... BUT, if I knew they would all be like this one, I'd buy a box.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App