Home General Discussion

Scene of the crime!

Ouch
A buddy of mine showed up with an old humidor that was full of cigars. It had been in storage since Hurricane Katrina
Included were a handful of ISOM Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas from Toronto.
Every stick in the box was dried out, but most of the wrappers had not split. And the Cohibas all had mold on them.
Gotta give it a try to see if I can save some. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This is why the Saints won the Superbowl...
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    What is the ummm, errr, stick on the left?

Salem, we may need your professional opinion.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Since hurricane Katrina? Was this humi in New Orleans?
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I think they're dead - you can see the mold - it's only tobacco - let 'em go.

You'd be bertter off just going up to Toronto and replacing them.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The one on the left is an Al Capone. Yes, just outside of N.O.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck brother they look pretty rough. But I think there worth trying to save. I'm assuming they were kept safe from flood waters. If they were anywhere close to flooding or sewage I'd say just give them a decent burial.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    What year are those Cohibas? Past 2002, wrong band, '93 - '02 yes but the yellow was more orange than yellow...Don't waste your time trying to revive them, they are gone lol
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    The lettering looks kind of off to me. I wouldnt try to revive them but thats just me!
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    toss
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Don't wake them up. they might smell like the back waters off Ponchartrain
    This was the rest of the collection. These didn't have mold, so I'm gonna at least put them in a humidor for a while and see how they respond.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Having mold from the Katrina flood waters? I wouldnt even want those in my house, let alone smoking them. I say toss em and wash your hands well
    No, they weren't near any floodwaters. In fact, the humidor was stored in one of those large tupperware-like containers (his wife's doing). They were fairly stiff, and with the exception of a few with a split foot, they appeared in good shape. The mold was limited those so-called Cohibas, and the other stick (Al Capone).
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yeahhh.... fakes... with mold... garbage can.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Toss the ISOM sticks. Not only are they most likely fakes (and I have seen quite a few fakes in the last 30 years), but in the condition they are in, with mold = not worth the effort. Those Cohibas probable never tasted good in the first place, and working to save them is not a good idea.

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Just let those go! Katrina was years ago!!