Home Cigar 101
Options

humi volume & beads & fans.....................

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Thinking about going bigger.....
Have a few questions
1) At what point (cubic inches) do the expert's here think a fan is "required"?

2) It takes 4oz. of beads to manage 2000 cu.in. humi.....(from Heartfelt web site)
If that 2000 cu. in. humi is always FULL, as in, you could maybe squeeze in 3 more sticks, it seems to me, that one would need less than 4oz of beads to manage the humi, since there is MUCH less actual air space. (I know more beads are better, brings humi back to range quicker, etc. etc.)
But for an "aging" humi that only gets burped/opened occasionally , if it's really full, could you use less beads?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you've got enough inventory to open a B&M and compete with Salem. LOL

So, what's the haps with the bucketdor project? Still viable?

As for your bead question, I think I might be tempted to try less and just let my hygro decide if I need more beads.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    no no no Marty.....I don't have that many sticks (relatively speaking)....more than a noob with a 20 count, yes..........but I'm not even close to some of the botl here......but.......things happen....

The bucket humi has been rock solid.....holds 5 boxes, one tray and space for loose sticks....currently pretty much maxed out at 151 cigars. If I went to a "loose" stick only system, I'm quite sure it would hold well over 200 cigars.

I have one aging humi that is stuffed, using a 4oz bead tube.....think I might see if a 2oz will maintain the RH......I don't go in there that often.

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I am also concerned with this as I am looking at doing a winedor. I have fans that are built to draw air in and blow it against the wall rather than blowing out over the cigars (I am afraid that might dry them out).
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Air circulation in any size is beneficial.....less humi beads? A fuller cooler will hold RH steadier...I like to approach things from the perspective of what can I do/add to make sure everything is tip top, not what is required....its just too valuable to take chances/skimp...
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I have a cabinet. It is about 16 sq ft. I have a Moist-n-aire in the bottom and 2 lbs of beads at the very top. Once a month I fill the M-n-A and wet the beads. Holds rock steady at 68*. I never hear the M-n-A ever turn on.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a small muffin fan from a computer in my coolidor. It's rigged to a timer and runs for 15 minutes every 12 hours. It only circulates the air inside the coolidor - it doesn't pull any outside air in. My purpose is only to move the air around, not insert fresh air. Seems to work very well. My RH stays pretty constant (65% beads) and I'm a happy camper.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I have 2 lbs of beads and 2 Oust fans in my 120 qt cooler. Rock steady.