Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Padilla Dominus

I just bought ten torpedos ..... I've never had one. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Dominus frickin' rock, one of my favorite Padilla's along with the Miami, 1932 and 1968. Very good cigar.
  • Options
    The powers that be do not like for prices to be posted on the forums. Just a friendly reminder : ) anyway, sounds like I need to dig mine out of the humi and give it a try
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I've tried 2 so far and they were both very good. Right behind the Miami for me from Padilla.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    bigharpoon:
    Dominus frickin' rock, one of my favorite Padilla's along with the Miami, 1932 and 1968. Very good cigar.
    Wow... OK. Gonna have to re-think my position on these apparently. I bought a couple fivers of these things blind a few months back because I got a mega-good deal on them much like our original poster on this thread. Tried a couple soon after - not a good experience. Burn issues out the wazoo, flavor profile was not to my liking, and it seemed to fall into the dreaded "power for power's sake" category that Cain's get so much grief for.

Like I said, the remainder have a few months on them (couldnt bring myself to light another one LOL), but bigharpoon and I tend to like the same cigars so closely its almost scary sometimes. If he says they are the bomb.com, I will give them another whirl. If they still arent to my liking, the remainder will be headed to ME... in a box... thats also ticking... :-)

• Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I grabbed a bunch from a place unknown maybe a year and a half or two years ago and I remember it was a regular stick that I was passing out to people on trades. I then realized I was running out of the stick so I burried the rest and smoked one recently and holy smokes! Im have a new respect for the Padilla line. I really like the Dominus with some rest on it atleast.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Yup, solid smoke, even rott.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    bigharpoon:
    Wow... OK. Gonna have to re-think my position on these apparently. I bought a couple fivers of these things blind a few months back because I got a mega-good deal on them much like our original poster on this thread. Tried a couple soon after - not a good experience. Burn issues out the wazoo, flavor profile was not to my liking, and it seemed to fall into the dreaded "power for power's sake" category that Cain's get so much grief for.

Like I said, the remainder have a few months on them (couldnt bring myself to light another one LOL), but bigharpoon and I tend to like the same cigars so closely its almost scary sometimes. If he says they are the bomb.com, I will give them another whirl. If they still arent to my liking, the remainder will be headed to ME... in a box... thats also ticking... :-)

Dang it, Glen!!! Why do you have to be right all the time??? Your quote surprised me SO MUCH I felt compelled to go smoke a Dominus immediately. I did. YUCK!!!

What the hell happened between today and the previous one I have such fond memories of? I guess my palate changed and I look for other aspects in a cigar. I didn't have any burn issues, the smoke was well balanced but the flavors were not to my liking. At all.

It started off great with a very nice amount of pepper, not overpowering black pepper but a subtle red pepper. Then came a nice musky earth flavor. Good so far. Then came the death nell, nothing but damp earth from there on out. Sometimes I would get a little red pepper on the short finish but the dampness and earthiness just dominated. Not for me.

These are well made sticks but the flavor is not what I remember or currently am looking for in a cigar. All my Dominus's have decent age on them so maybe that contributed to my differing opinion, too. Either way I'm not excited about them. If anyone would like them I have at least 4 more available.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    The Sniper:
    bigharpoon:

Dang it, Glen!!! Why do you have to be right all the time??? Your quote surprised me SO MUCH I felt compelled to go smoke a Dominus immediately. I did. YUCK!!!

What the hell happened between today and the previous one I have such fond memories of? I guess my palate changed and I look for other aspects in a cigar. I didn't have any burn issues, the smoke was well balanced but the flavors were not to my liking. At all.

It started off great with a very nice amount of pepper, not overpowering black pepper but a subtle red pepper. Then came a nice musky earth flavor. Good so far. Then came the death nell, nothing but damp earth from there on out. Sometimes I would get a little red pepper on the short finish but the dampness and earthiness just dominated. Not for me.

These are well made sticks but the flavor is not what I remember or currently am looking for in a cigar. All my Dominus's have decent age on them so maybe that contributed to my differing opinion, too. Either way I'm not excited about them. If anyone would like them I have at least 4 more available.
    is this a trade option??
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    The Sniper:
    bigharpoon:

Hmmmm, the plot thickens... LOL I too will fire up one of these bad boys when I get home. If this one is a good experience, where your second go-around was a bad experience, I suppose you & I will have to get a divorce. :-) I hope not, cause I LOVE YOU MAN, but irreconcilable differences are irreconcilable differences! LOL

• Options
    lcpleel:
    bigharpoon:
    The Sniper:
    bigharpoon:

is this a trade option??
    I'm up for it, if you want send me a pm.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Thought they were ok fresh, with some time on them they really start to blossom.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Well, with all of the conflicting opinions, I am just going to have to see how I like them myself. Sniper, have you had a chance to smoke yours yet?
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I have a box of these resting up-stairs!! I've loved the Dominus from the first day I smoked it!! I have one left over with quite some time on it. The box has a few months on it. Def some goodness!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good smoke, really enjoyed them.
  • Options
    This thread is a perfect example of many great things:

-everyone has a different palate and you just don't know until you try it

-your palate and tastes change over time

-whenever you have cigars you are no longer interested in you can find someone who is and a trade ensues

-Ccom is the greatest meeting place in the Universe.

I love this place.

• Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    Well, with all of the conflicting opinions, I am just going to have to see how I like them myself. Sniper, have you had a chance to smoke yours yet?
    I did so last night sir, as promised. GOOD NEWS! Harpoon and I dont have to get divorced, because I had the exact same experience he did... went a little something like this...

1st 1/8 - solid light, decent draw, good power, notes of some pepper, nice!

2nd 1/8 - power still up high (good!), pepper mellowing out, so far so good!

3rd 1/8 - Whats that creeping in? Earth... wet earth...

4th 1/8 - REAL REAL wet earth!!!! The only thing I can think to compare it to is when you rake your leaves into a great big pile in your yard in the fall... then it rains. If for some reason you have had to rake those leaves again days later, that wet, composty smell that the leaves towards the bottom have? THATs what I was getting.

For the sake of the experiment, I finished the thing off and it pretty much stayed where the 4th 1/8 took me. Some good news to be had here - the months spent in the humi seems to have cleared up the burn issues I was having with them when they were younger. Also, the draw is where I percieve most cigar smokers to like it - I like mine very loose, but this one was not impossible to pull. Put out a good amount of smoke too.

Alright, DISCLAIMER TIME - If you are reading this imprompteau review, DO NOT let this dissuade you from trying the Dominus. While I does like me a powerhouse of a smoke, I find that with the fuller bodied lines is where I tend to not see eye-to-eye with the majority of folks. LOTS of people go gaga over the JdN Dark Corojo, but Ive never enjoyed it. Same thing with the LFD Double Ligero. Conversely, a lot of people think the Cain line is not Scottish (which makes it CRAP!), but I enjoy them, especially in the Nub size.

Go forth, try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on and decide for yourself if what you're smoking is a good stick or not. The single best piece of advice Ive ever gotten regarding cigars is this - nobody can tell you what is a good stick for you, better than YOU! :-)

• Options
    The Sniper:
    oldsoulrevival:
    I did so last night sir, as promised. GOOD NEWS! Harpoon and I dont have to get divorced, because I had the exact same experience he did... went a little something like this...

1st 1/8 - solid light, decent draw, good power, notes of some pepper, nice!

2nd 1/8 - power still up high (good!), pepper mellowing out, so far so good!

3rd 1/8 - Whats that creeping in? Earth... wet earth...

4th 1/8 - REAL REAL wet earth!!!! The only thing I can think to compare it to is when you rake your leaves into a great big pile in your yard in the fall... then it rains. If for some reason you have had to rake those leaves again days later, that wet, composty smell that the leaves towards the bottom have? THATs what I was getting.

For the sake of the experiment, I finished the thing off and it pretty much stayed where the 4th 1/8 took me. Some good news to be had here - the months spent in the humi seems to have cleared up the burn issues I was having with them when they were younger. Also, the draw is where I percieve most cigar smokers to like it - I like mine very loose, but this one was not impossible to pull. Put out a good amount of smoke too.

Alright, DISCLAIMER TIME - If you are reading this imprompteau review, DO NOT let this dissuade you from trying the Dominus. While I does like me a powerhouse of a smoke, I find that with the fuller bodied lines is where I tend to not see eye-to-eye with the majority of folks. LOTS of people go gaga over the JdN Dark Corojo, but Ive never enjoyed it. Same thing with the LFD Double Ligero. Conversely, a lot of people think the Cain line is not Scottish (which makes it CRAP!), but I enjoy them, especially in the Nub size.

Go forth, try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on and decide for yourself if what you're smoking is a good stick or not. The single best piece of advice Ive ever gotten regarding cigars is this - nobody can tell you what is a good stick for you, better than YOU! :-)

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy, we're not getting a divorce!!!

Ummm...hmmmpppfff....scratch balls...tape man card back to ball cap....spit on carpet....errrr....contemplate naval.....

The one thing I can add is that after decent rest, my Dominus are from 8/10, the body comes way down. I'd no longer call them a powerhouse smoke at all, more like a solid medium plus. That part was kinda nice actually, and the burn was great.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    Thought they were ok fresh, with some time on them they really start to blossom.
    This. I still have a pair of Robustos from around the time I started smoking cigars, and the last time I burned one it was awesome. Black pepper, cedar, and super oily leather dominate. Big, bold, Nicaraguan flavor bombs.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I had a couple of the churchills and enjoyed them. I've been meaning to pick up some more.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy, we're not getting a divorce!!!

Ummm...hmmmpppfff....scratch balls...tape man card back to ball cap....spit on carpet....errrr....contemplate naval.....

LMAO!!!

• Options
    If any of you guy's have some left and don't like them, just give me a shout. I will gladly trade you for them. I have liked these since they first came out.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    This. I still have a pair of Robustos from around the time I started smoking cigars, and the last time I burned one it was awesome. Black pepper, cedar, and super oily leather dominate. Big, bold, Nicaraguan flavor bombs.
    To me, that's Padilla in a nutshell, they improve so much with time. I still have about half a box of 1932 torpedos that I bought about 3 years ago and they've gotten better and better.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I've got two with a couple months if anyone wants to trade
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    What vitola are they? What do you want in return? PM me if interested.
  • Options
    I bought the top tier sampler of Padillas - I'm totally new to the brand. I smoked a 1932 last night and it was fantastic. I noticed one thing that surprised me...and this is going to sound strange...but it tasted like chewing tobacco (long cut) smells. Not the mint or any flavored blends, but if you've had Copenhagen or Skoal straight, I got the taste like the tin smells when you open it. Just in-your-face tobacco. I really enjoyed it, and am interested to see if the other Padilla's are like this too.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    catfishbluezz:
    What vitola are they? What do you want in return? PM me if interested.
    PM sent