Home General Discussion
Options

Met Sam Leccia Today

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
I met Sam Leccia today. The local B&M had a NUb event, ended up being relatively small I got to hang around with Sam and talk about everything under the sun with him and a couple others. I'm now even the proud owner of a custom barber pole Nub rolled by Sam right in front of me and a signed box of Cameroon 466 BPT. Thats gonna rest for a while. He is a h3ll of a guy and a great businessman. Told a lot of great stories and got a bunch of off the record info. He actually asked us not to post a lot of the stuff he said on any forums. I can however tell you there is going to be a Maduro Nub coming out soon called the Mad Nub. A couple of us were trying to talk him in the making the barber pole part of the line. My favorite thing he said was when someone asked what he smoked aside from the NUb. He responded by saying ... If you spent years developing the perfect cigar, perfect to you, what would you smoke? And he managed to say it without coming across as an @$$. Great guy I hope to hang out with him again sometime.

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great way to spend the day. Sharing cigars and great discussion with other great people. Once a year there is a BIG Smoke event that takes a weekend and is sponsered by that magazine we have all seen. They take place in cities all across the country and you can meet everyone in the industry at these events handing out all kinds of samples, dinner, plenty to drink, I have never had the pleasure of attending a small meet and great with these guys. And they probably don't charge 200 bucks to get in like the Big event.
  • Options
    Best part is this event was free. Even got a free NUb. Of course I bought a box to get in on the drawing for the NUb Mini Cooper but didn't get that. Yea there is no way I'd pay $200 for something that big. THe same B&M is having a dinner with Rocky Patel thats $100 but thats dinner, three cigars and wine. As great as this one was I'm thinking about that one seriously considering it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive heard nothing but good things about Rocky Patel as a person. even though i am not a huge fan of his cigars i would still like to meet the guy and ask him questions. Ive seen a few videos of him and he just has a down-to-earth feeling about him. thats hard to come by these days.
  • Options
    Yea I've met him before but very briefly it was a packed house. He's cool, loud but cool. Let me say again just how cool Sam Leccia is. Rocky's a nice guy but I'd hang out with Sam if he was just a guy with a regular job. Let me tell you a cool story that was told to me and Sam confirmed it. This herf asked Sam if he'd mind sending a few pre release cigars to them for a buddy that was getting sent to Iraq. Sam booked a flight and flew down there with BOXES of cigars and hung out with the guy before he deployed. The guy ended up getting ambushed in Iraq and won a purple heart. At the event I witnessed Leccia giving out all kinds of free stuff to the military guys that were there. Not to keep going on and on about the guy but he just left an impression on me that took me from being an fan of his cigars to being a fan of the guy.
  • Options
    you could be a walking ad for the nub... but there is nothing wrong with that. it just seems that sam is runing his cigar outfit correctly: keeping the tobacco and the people first.
  • Options
    Exactly. I'm stoked about my custom barber pole NUb too, lol.
  • Options
    you need to do a review on that thing when you smoke it.
  • Options
    No doubt. I'll take some pics soon and make it my avi and post in a few other places
  • Options
    thats great. id love to see a pic of that thing. a cigar that small all barber poll. since it is a "full sized" cigar (meaning it has all the wrapings) are the stripes very close together? i havent smoked a nub yet but this peaks my intrest.
  • Options
    As tempting as smoking it may sound I would probably keep it aging and have great conversational cigar, very rare, to remember the event by. Tough choice.
  • Options
    id let it age for a bit too. im just sayin, cigars are ment to be smoked. it is why they exist. ... i have to admit that there are a hand full of cigars that i have that i may never smoke for one reason or another. I intend to, but i have no idea when.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    you could be a walking ad for the nub... but there is nothing wrong with that. it just seems that sam is runing his cigar outfit correctly: keeping the tobacco and the people first.
    Ditto. It's always cool to get a chance to meet the people behind the stuff you enjoy, and I'm glad to hear that you had the fortune of doing so with someone who obviously enjoys what they do and enjoys sharing it with people as much or more, like Sam Leccia seems to from your post.

This post, and forum in general, as well as the people behind Cigar.com, are making me enjoy the world of cigars more and more. Despite some of the snobbery associated with it, which I've personally experienced, it increasingly seems like a hobby/industry that is largely untainted by the stupidity that permeates so many others. Even others that exist for the purpose of relaxing and adding enjoyment to one's life like cigars.
  • Options
    http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/tobacmon/
    Ok these aren't my pics they are a guy I know who was also at the same event. My actual cigar isn't in any of the pics but he has a few pics of different cigars Sam rolled, check out the one with scallops and the pipe. The pic titled Sam's work my cigar is very similar to the two wrapper barber pole thats there. Also if anyone is interested the picture after the one titled Oliva / Nate, thats my fat ass in the green shirt and glasses on my head holding up the counter. Looking retarded I guess I was biting my lip while they were raffling the chance to be a finalist for the car.

I have something I'm real excited about that I'm working on right now and when it happens I'm smoking that cigar in celebration. With Svenson's permission(he shouldn't have a problem but I'll ask anyways) I'll tell you guys all about it when its close to ready. Lets just say its something I'm surprised doesn't already exist and will benefit every BOTL and hopefully will be my stepping stone into this industry. Even if it is just a part time for fun gig.
  • Options
    well said gott, well said.
    kuzi go pick up a nub cameroon bpt and a habano torpedo and give them a shot. I'm telling you they'll quickly weasel their way into your regular rotation. They're cheap, they're very good, and the quality is impeccable. Best of all they're just freaking fun.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I have something I'm real excited about that I'm working on right now and when it happens I'm smoking that cigar in celebration. With Svenson's permission(he shouldn't have a problem but I'll ask anyways) I'll tell you guys all about it when its close to ready. Lets just say its something I'm surprised doesn't already exist and will benefit every BOTL and hopefully will be my stepping stone into this industry. Even if it is just a part time for fun gig.
    good luck. !!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    good luck. !!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    well said gott, well said.
    kuzi go pick up a nub cameroon bpt and a habano torpedo and give them a shot. I'm telling you they'll quickly weasel their way into your regular rotation. They're cheap, they're very good, and the quality is impeccable. Best of all they're just freaking fun.
    Im sure they will get in there. ill get one eventually. i just always seem to have a full humidor. Thats a bigger problem than i thought it would be.
  • Options
    Yea its a major problem for me I'm really about to go by a cooler.
  • Options
    Kuzi, Do you remember the line from the movie Jaws, ...." We're gonna need a bigger boat"... Same thing applies here buddy.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Yea its a major problem for me I'm really about to go by a cooler.
    You and me both buddy
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Kuzi, Do you remember the line from the movie Jaws, ...." We're gonna need a bigger boat"... Same thing applies here buddy.
    yeah... i know. its a self imposed limit. I should shut my pie hole because i know i can afford one and i have room for another humidor, i just choose not to. Im fighting this sickness. ...maybe its the wife thats fighting it, but either way, im not buying another humidor.

at least not today...
  • Options
    Thanks for the luck kuz. Continue your battle you give all of us hope lol
  • Options
    I just popped into my local B&M today for a lunch time stogie and got talking to the girl working there. Well guess what she just happened to have another nub rolled by Sam that she wasn't a fan of so its now in my possesion. Its just a plain conneticut but its another that he hand rolled at this event to add to my collection. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey kuzi maybe one of us could make a wish these fine sticks cigars away from maduro...( no way of that happening ) Even the most generous people have limits. This guy has all the luck..
  • Options
    That is most definetly a MAW that will go unanswered by this guy. What can I say things have a way of working out for me. :)
  • Options
    you make your own luck.
  • Options
    Exactly. There is no such thing as luck, you just have to always make sure that when you are in the right place at the right time you have the capability of seizing the oppurtunity.
  • Options
    it goes for good luck and bad luck. most just blame others when it comes to bad things happening to them. personal responability.
  • Options
    Yea personal responsibilty is something this country is greatly lacking. I won't go off on my tyraid as this isn't the place.