Home Cigar 101
Options

wrapper or no wrapper

i've alway gotten mixed answers, some say to keep wrappers on and others say to always take wrappers off before introducing to humidor . thought anyone ?

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    helper007:
    i've alway gotten mixed answers, some say to keep wrappers on and others say to always take wrappers off before introducing to humidor . thought anyone ?

This is one of those questions that's asked over and over. The answer is - it's up to you. The humidity can get through the cello so it's not going to hurt the cigar to leave it on. Personal preference.

Just a friendly hint, try using the search function in the upper right corner before asking a question you suspect has already been asked many times. Just sayin'........,
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I keep my wrappers on, smoking a cigar with only a binder is a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    j0z3r:
    Oh how I was going to post something along the same lines..
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I love saying this.
    I like my ladies naked!!!!!!!! whew!
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    j0z3r:
    hahahah image i try to keep cellos on mine, and they always have to have the wrappers!
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    helper007:
    Keep the cellos on to protect the wrapper and stick in general. If you have sticks that seem to need time before sacrifice, take the cellos off a few days/weeks before smoking (kind of a quick aging process used by some of us). IMHO........
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If you mean cellophane (wrapper is actually the outermost piece of tobacco on a cigar), then it is entirely personal preference. I keep mine on, because I'm a handsy motherfcker and like to dig through my humidors when I'm drunk. Cellophane keeps me from damaging my cigars when I get handsy.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It don't matter. Personal choice, I leave mine on because I rummage thru them alot and don't want to risk damaging.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I think the question is: do you leave the cigars your cellophane wrappers? Ditch the sticks and smoke the plastic!
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    I think the question is: do you leave the cigars your cellophane wrappers? Ditch the sticks and smoke the plastic!

Bwahahahahahaha!!
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    If you have a steady hand and want to see how the wrapper influences the outcome of your smoke you can remove it. I recommend this video from Alec Bradley www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF1T6819a1s
    Sorry tried posting an actual link but after failing 5 times i said screw it
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine on, and if they come with none, I always try to put on when I ship/trade bomb. JJ just received some from me and the pillow inflated like crazy and oozed out, if no cello the cigars could have been damaged, luckly the cigars were unharmed:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    I keep mine on, because I'm a handsy motherfcker and like to dig through my humidors when I'm drunk.
    Hah! I love that!!
  • Options
    I always keep a cello on my stick for protection. (Wow that sounds so dirty)
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    docbp87:
    If you mean cellophane (wrapper is actually the outermost piece of tobacco on a cigar), then it is entirely personal preference. I keep mine on, because I'm a handsy motherfcker and like to dig through my humidors when I'm drunk. Cellophane keeps me from damaging my cigars when I get handsy.
    +100
  • Options
    lanza50lanza50 Posts: 1
    Let's all try to practice safe smoking... wrap that stick! Devil [6]
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My big humi which is mostly singles I keep them in cello. But in my 50 ct most are naked with celloed sticks being used as deviders.And boy does that small one smell good. When you open it the aroma just punches you in the face. Absolute heaven!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I prefer to leave the cellophane on to protect the cigar wrappers.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Personal preference but I always leave mine on .
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I was an advocate of no-cello until I got mold in my humi and noticed that the only cigars unaffected were the ones in cello; now I advocate using cello, unless you can control your humidity and temp without question
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Think of it as cigar insurance.

I do both because I can’t commit. My wrapped ones are singles of various types and strengths. I usually un-wrap batches of 20 to 30 cigars of the same kind and store them together. 20 Don Pepin’s here 30 MOW there and so on. I rotate them every 2 or 3 months, bottom to top. Haven't noticed much damage from handling and the aroma when you open the humi makes my mouth water. However
    Probably like having your fly open outside, they are more susceptible to climate (rh) change, handling, or even spilling water. I did that once putting a shot glass back in. Noticed really no difference in cigars taste or burn stored either way.

Bigharpoon had a good story about a wrapped cigar, I think his boat was swamped, but the wrapper saved the stick. Now mold inhibitor as well, I may have to commit.

Guess when it all boils down to gravy, I'm thinking...take the free insurance and leave them wrapped.