Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Ashton vsg

Smoked one today. Very earthy flavor. I was hoping that it would wow me but it was just ok. I prefer the AF sun grown. Just my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    The more I get into cigars, the more I realize the subjectivity of taste. I think the VSG is an outstanding cigar. Very earthy, tobacco-y taste that I love. What do you like about the AF sun grown? I've never had one.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if it makes you feel better the VSG has never really impressed me either. im not mad at it but it doesnt wow me either.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, VSG doesn't do it for me either, at least not like plenty of other AF made cigars, or even other Ashtons.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESG,, YEAYA!
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    I actually prefer the VSG over the ESG...IMO, simliar flavors, but the VSG's are more pronounced...The VSG is in my top ten...
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    agreed. esg way better for me than vsg. try the del sol. i love it.
    jj20030:
    ESG,, YEAYA!
  • Options
    fuentejps:
    jj20030:
    ESG,, YEAYA!
    del sol?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    ESG ... Uummmmmmmm !!!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jj20030:
    fuentejps:
    jj20030:
    ESG,, YEAYA!
    del sol?
    I'm guessing he's talking about either the San Cristobal Seleccion del sol which is an Ashton cigar made by DPG, or perhaps the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol and got a word wrong? I don't know, just guessing.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    jj20030:
    fuentejps:
    jj20030:
    ESG,, YEAYA!
    del sol?
    I'm guessing he's talking about either the San Cristobal Seleccion del sol which is an Ashton cigar made by DPG, or perhaps the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol and got a word wrong? I don't know, just guessing.
    yea, i was thinking he meant the san cris.or the puro ?
  • Options
    NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    esg's are great, something about the fuente wrapper flavor i love
  • Options
    AugustWest:
    The more I get into cigars, the more I realize the subjectivity of taste. I think the VSG is an outstanding cigar. Very earthy, tobacco-y taste that I love. What do you like about the AF sun grown? I've never had one.
    AF sun grown was a little less earth for me and had a little nutty taste that I prefer.
  • Options
    AugustWest:
    AF sun grown was a little less earth for me and had a little nutty taste that I prefer.
  • Options
    Cool -- will have to try and snag one.
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    Brain backfire. the ashton heritage puro sol.
    j0z3r:
    jj20030:
    fuentejps:
    jj20030:
    ESG,, YEAYA!
    del sol?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, that clears that up. And I agree, the Heritage is awesome. Didn't much care for the ESG myself, but that was based on a single experience and I have another resting up that I'll give a go one of these days.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Well, that clears that up. And I agree, the Heritage is awesome. Didn't much care for the ESG myself, but that was based on a single experience and I have another resting up that I'll give a go one of these days.
    I've had good experience.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I like the VSG in the narrow ring gauges. The Tres Mystique is a great little cigar. But those bigger ESGs rule.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The Robusto was the best size for me so far. I have a few more sizes that I haven't tried but the others were just OK. Not sure if I had the smaller ring guages though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Yeah, VSG doesn't do it for me either, at least not like plenty of other AF made cigars, or even other Ashtons.
    DOC... really...? wow, thought it would be up your alley.

The VSG, is yeah... earthy. Have you had the ESG? I find that many people like one or the other. I personally don't like the esg.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I like the corona gorda quite a bit. It doesn't come across as earthy to me though. More savory, almost meaty, with some spice in the back. Great, complex aroma as well. This is one I tend to smoke alone.

I have some esgs laying around that I still need to try.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Ashton VSG ER was a great smoke.
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    lcpleel:
    Ashton VSG ER was a great smoke.
    unfortunately i dont remember the one i smoked. one of the many reasons i smoke black&milds when im really drunk