Home Cigar 101
Options

My wine-a-dor build... W/ PICS!

DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
Click on the thumbnails to view the full size photo. I am trying to make it an easier to read thread.

Started with a two door model from Franklin Chef.
Click on the thumbnails to view the full size photo. I am trying to make it an easier to read thread.

Started with a two door model from Franklin Chef.

Took off the back to see what was in there by way of electronics. Wanted to run the lights off of their original switches and wiring and use the wires for the fans in the back of the unit to run my fans (mainly because I didn't want to have to drill holes and seal them, the innards on this thing are metal)!

I cleaned out the shelves and put them through the dishwasher, also removed the fans and coils (with their metal housings) from the rear of the unit adding two inches to the rear of the unit for storage.

Removed ALL unnecessary wiring from the rear of the unit and the compressor and coil leads.

Removed the coil from the bottom of the unit and added (the unit was missing them) two leveling feet in the front of the unit.

Wired in the fans to the back. The fans are HDD fans that actually blow against the wall and force air out of two openings on the sides of the housing. Keeping them from blowing directly on the cigars. One port opens up and one down (picture does not currently show actual placement) to circulate the humidity to the front and bottom of the unit.

Made the door kill switches, opening either door kills both fans until door(s) are shut. Not the prettiest thing ever, but they work and you cant see them unless you're looking when the doors are closed

Wired the fans into the timer (fans run every 60 min for 12 min at a time; 20 times in a 24 hour period). Also swapped cords from fridge to powerstrip and vice versa so I could keep the length longer and not have as many cord inside the unit.

Finished build with interior lights on and fans running:

And lights off with fans running:

It is being desmellified right now. have to get all the smells out so I can do this right, and I used soldier on all connections and heatshrinked them all, also used super glue to hold the wires in the crevice at the top. Charcoal (natural lump w/o fluid) and newspaper are sitting in it now.

Please let me know what you think! And if you have any ideas!

Comments

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'm usually in the wineador at least once a week. If not more. Thats plenty to "burp" it. I think as you're in there for a smoke at least once a week or so, you'd be fine. As far as the drain holes, I have one hole in the bottom of mine, approx 1/2 in wide. I kept it open. I just laid the stocking of beads across the hole. Things have been great for me. The beads keep me at about 69% rH. Too many holes I could see a problem with keeping humidity. Your fan and timer setup sounds awesome!! I'd like to see those!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking set up you got there! I like how you set up the fans so they don't blow directly on the cigars, smart. The kill switch idea is great too so you won't blow away all the humidity if the door's opened while the fans are on.

How many cigars do you think it will hold?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    No clue yet. Depends on whether or not I build shelves and drawers or stick with the ones in it.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    No clue yet. Depends on whether or not I build shelves and drawers or stick with the ones in it.
    If it were me, I'd probably keep the metal shelves on the right side and use that side for box storage.
    And I'd get rid of the bottle-shaped (curvy) shelves on the left side and replace that with draws/shelves for storing singles/unboxed sticks....
    Just my $0.02

• Options
    All of the shelves are now the straight wire shelves. It will be a while ($$) before I get to order some drawers if I do. For right now though I am only going to use the right side for all my sticks, the left side will open up when I get more beads, and the cooler for the DCCC. I don't have enough sticks to fill this thing up anyway! It was one of those things where my wife was like why are you building that? I told her so I would have room to store all the sticks she was going to buy me...
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Looks like a great start man
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Man, that's gonna give you some nice storage space. Lookin good.
  • Options
    Im gonna have to do drawers, I can't even fit a Padilla Churchill box in it!
  • Options
    shoot, that thing looks awesome! The double doors a nice! Can it still read/display a temp of the inside? I seen the blue lights on the front and thought that is the temp lights. I'm sure the air circulation will help with the temp a little too. I might start looking for an larger wine cooler to convert!!
  • Options
    The external display thermometer does still work. I am currently looking for a new LCD panel that I can transform to read my humidity and temp in the same place.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    All of the shelves are now the straight wire shelves. It will be a while ($$) before I get to order some drawers if I do. For right now though I am only going to use the right side for all my sticks, the left side will open up when I get more beads, and the cooler for the DCCC. I don't have enough sticks to fill this thing up anyway! It was one of those things where my wife was like why are you building that? I told her so I would have room to store all the sticks she was going to buy me...
    Good answer to your wife.....and with valentines day soon maybe that will give her a reason to get you some sticks to help christen the wineador.

Also sent you a PM about beads.

• Options
    Its sitting at 62 degrees and 72%, if it doesn't drop overnight I am going to unplug the other hole in the bottom!
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Great job DSW!
  • Options
    Nice man. Looks good.
  • Options
    Have you put any beads in it yet? If not, a pound of 65% rH beads would bring it down. I can't remember what you said you had for humidification.
  • Options
    Yeah, I put the beads in it last night. It's at 68% right now. Im just gonna keep watching it.
  • Options
    Ok, its still fluxuating a bit. Seems to be a little on the high side. Took some of the beads out and am watching closely.