Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

the virtues of a........Virtue...

Last Spring, I smoked my first MoW Virtue, and was not impressed....at all.
I noticed there were other BOTLS here who, like me, love the MoW line, just not the Virtue so much, and I understood why.
A few months later, a tried a second one...it was better...but.......meh.....I mentally scratched it from my "buy again" list.
A month or so ago, I smoked my third one, and tried something different......a conservative v-cut, and lighter puffing.....it was pretty good.
Today I smoked my fourth one (different purchase batch) with only 4 months on it. I did the conservative v-cut, puffed lightly (no big double puffs like I sometimes do with full sticks)....and it was dang good....considering I'm generally not a fan of milder sticks.

So, if you have any Virtues lying around that you are considering again, give this little trick a try....conservative v-cut, with light puffing....you might be surprised....I was.

(But, I'll have to try my fifth one, and really like it, before committing to buying them again.....heh!)

Comments

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I too was unsatisfied at first with this cigar. After reading your comments on it I think I'll give it another try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Vertue, been watching the sprint sale trying to catch them or Beauty's but I always seem to miss them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had some good Virtues and some that were so-so at best. The best ones I've had have been the mini-salamone.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I, too, like the mini sal. I also like the toro.

side note... I keep my Virtues (and all of my connies, which admitidly is very few) at around 71% RH in a seperate humi from my other sticks. The slightly higher RH helps bring out the flavor, imho. Learned that trick from Dwayne.
  • Options
    I also had an initially bad experience with a Virtue. First time I smoked one it was really young (ammonia, acrid).

I rested the rest of them about a month and WOW what a difference. Great notes of white pepper on the front end and good medium flavor on the back 2. I just think they needed a little more time off the truck.

Now these are my second favorite connie behind the RP '99 and I agree, the mini-salamons are the way to go. Great shape, excellent smoke production, very flavorful connecticut.

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I REALLY dig these in the robusto. They've been my go-to smoke for a few months now.

• Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Have enjoyed these with some rest, picked up AJ seconds, ended up being MOW Virtues salamones, so not bad:)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think in general, most AJ stuff improves quite a bit after 6 months to a year. At least to my tastes. I've rested Virtues since the pre-release, and they still don't wow me. Some of them are ok, but that's not what I'm after. For my money, when it comes to connecticuts, I just prefer to go with Tabadom made sticks.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I enjoy the Virtue a lot. I really like it in the 6x60 size
  • Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    I really like the virtue. I have only had the robusto, but am going to purchase some salomons soon.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Virtue is a real go-to cigar for me, one of my favorite milds and the cigar that won me over to the mini-salomon size, now one of my favorite vitolas.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I was wondering what is better for those who tried them, the MoW virtue or San Lotano Connecticut. I haven't tried the San Lotano, I like the MoW Virtue
  • Options
    big chunks:
    I was wondering what is better for those who tried them, the MoW virtue or San Lotano Connecticut. I haven't tried the San Lotano, I like the MoW Virtue
    SL connie. Not even close. (and I like the Virtue... but it won't touch the SL)
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    big chunks:
    Wow, really? I haven't read much feedback on the SL Conn. but now I want one!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    big chunks:
    I liked the MOW Virtue Mini Solomon a lot more than the San Lotano Connie.

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    big chunks:

you just gotta shake things up, don't ya? lol

that's the beauty of this whole thing. Everybody's taste are different.

I will stand by what I said, though... cause for my money the only connie in the same price range that will touch the SL connie is a Room 101 connie.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    big chunks:
    +1..............not even close!

• Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    BigT06:
    big chunks:
    +1..............not even close!

Like the Virtue, but SL Connie I feel is the winner here, hands down!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    well looks like i got to pick up some San Lotano connecticut to compare, lol
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    It's funny the first Virtue I had was the corona (from the AJ sampler) and fell in love with it right of the bat. Had a few more (toros or torpedos, and another corona) and still liked them. Had another corona recently and it just didn't do it for me. Not sure why...maybe it was the stick, maybe it was me, who knows? I have a couple more in different vitolas and am interested to see how the next one goes.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Also, looks like I need to try the SL Connie! I'd say my favorite connies (at the moment) are the Ashton original and the Cabinet series. Any comparisons of those to the SL anyone?
  • Options
    The best Connecticut I've had so far would be the EP Carrillo New Wave so far
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree that the san lotano connecticut is way better than the virtue. i feel that the San Lotano Connie doesnt have to live up to profile of a line. the Man O War Virtue feels like it is trying to live up to the Man O War name.
  • Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    big chunks:
    The best Connecticut I've had so far would be the EP Carrillo New Wave so far
    I really want to try this...keep hearing similar reports on it.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    BigT06:
    stephen_hannibal:
    big chunks:

you just gotta shake things up, don't ya? lol

that's the beauty of this whole thing. Everybody's taste are different.

I will stand by what I said, though... cause for my money the only connie in the same price range that will touch the SL connie is a Room 101 connie.
    The Room 101 Connie>Virtue and SL Connie.

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The MOW Virtue is an enigms for me. The first few (larger vitolas) I did not like. In the smaller sizes in the morning I find it very satisfying. It is definitely a timing thing with me, after lunch I will not give one a second thought.