Home Cigar 101
Options

Suggestions for those who have no sense of smell

dominickdominick Posts: 9 ✭✭
I completely loss my sense of smell several years ago and have started smoking cigars again recently. I have been smoking what I liked before, such as Macanudo, and have tried and liked other light strength blends like Cusano18, MI and 5 Vegas Gold.

However, I would like to have a bit more flavor in my mouth, especially sweetness. But nothing that is peppery, which seems to be a characteristic of the higher strength cigars. I did try Swisher Sweets, but found them to be pretty awful. I would appreciate if you guys or gals have any other suggestions, especially if you like a sweet taste or if you have the same problem with your sense of smell.

Comments

• Options
    hey bro, have you tried any of the Acid line by Drew Estate? They are infused cigars, some of them like the Kuba Kuba have (what I think) is some sweetness but not like a swisher would be. ... a little more subtle.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    The only infused/non-traditional cigars I enjoy are the Maker's Mark and Java coronas. Back in 06 I tried a Sauza tequila infused smoke from next-door's COTM. I hate tequila, but the cigar was darn tasty.

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    If you like sweetened cigars, the natural (ie. not maduro, gold or corojo lines, or they might, unsure of this) Flor de Oliva lines have a sweetened wrapper at the head. It's not excessive and is actually nice. Solid, cheap, mild-medium spectrum smoke.
  • Options
    I swear I'm not making this suggestion just because it was my Expert Pick this month! I had a customer call me a few months ago with the same problem. I gave him a CAO Cameroon to try, and he absolutely loved it!
  • Options
    dominickdominick Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming!
  • Options
    bobojobobojo Posts: 13
    Assuming you'd like to have non-infused cigars, I've found that the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro has a natural chocolate-y sweetness with little to no pepperiness.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    If you like sweetened cigars, the natural (ie. not maduro, gold or corojo lines, or they might, unsure of this) Flor de Oliva lines have a sweetened wrapper at the head. It's not excessive and is actually nice. Solid, cheap, mild-medium spectrum smoke.
    +1
  • Options
    SporusSporus Posts: 236
    Tatuaje's may have some spice, but they all seem to have a characteristic sweetness to them. If you can get your hands on a Wolfman, it just may blow your mind.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties of Maduro, Sumatra, and Cameroon.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Tina E:
    I swear I'm not making this suggestion just because it was my Expert Pick this month! I had a customer call me a few months ago with the same problem. I gave him a CAO Cameroon to try, and he absolutely loved it!
    GREAT stick. I would also suggest the CAO l'Anniversarie Maduro.

Montesino maduro is a really mild stick but with a great yet simple maduro sweetness that seems to hit upfront (no spice to speak of). Plus it's inexpensive so you're not risking much by getting a few.

I don't personally care for them, but Baccarat has a sweetened cap which may be worth a shot.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Try out the Gurkha Grand Reserve. It's one of the very few infused cigars that I like. Lots of cognac with some cedar and citrus peels.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    hey bro, have you tried any of the Acid line by Drew Estate? They are infused cigars, some of them like the Kuba Kuba have (what I think) is some sweetness but not like a swisher would be. ... a little more subtle.
    Not sure if these fall under the Acid line too or not....but the Tabak Especial Cafe Con Leche and Isla Del Sol's by DE are must try's as well. These are both great sticks that have a some sweetness to them.

The Isla Del Sol has a lot more initial sweetness but I think the Tabak Especial is a better smoke overall. But the Tabak is also about 2x the price of Isla del Sol.

Also, CAO Moontrance is a good one. IMO, the Petit Corona is the best vitola for this one.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *