Home Non Cigar Related
Options

File Sharing?

Anyone out there use Frostwire for file sharing? How safe is it? Or is there a better program? How do you stay away from downloading viruses?

Comments

• Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Use torrents, however any file sharing is dangerous. Stay clear of downloading programs (you don't know what attacker has altered the files, not viruses but back doors to get on your computer and its so easy these days to get around antivirus so you will never know they are there). Torrents can be legit and fast way to transfer a file. Just use your noggin and think before you download and you can be pretty safe.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    djbeenie:
    Use torrents, however any file sharing is dangerous. Stay clear of downloading programs (you don't know what attacker has altered the files, not viruses but back doors to get on your computer and its so easy these days to get around antivirus so you will never know they are there). Torrents can be legit and fast way to transfer a file. Just use your noggin and think before you download and you can be pretty safe.
    i second this opinion. plus, torrents tend to download faster. i used UTorrent alot and a website called Fenopy.com (to find the torrents). i recently quit doing this because of the job i now have (requires FBI background checks) but if not for that i would still be doing it alot
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If their related in anyway to lime wire I'd beware,
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've done newsgroups for the last 15 years or so.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info!!!
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I was hit with a cease and desist not to long ago from my provider because of use of torrents even with an ip blocker enabled. I changed to rapidshare/megaupload files now and they work like a dream.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    really? what provider did you have? Ip blockers don't do much a lot of the times. You can get a vpn program, the pirate bay has a good one that I have used many times. Thing is, torrent sites have been being attacked a lot by the feds. Over the last year tons have been taken down. Beware on torrent sites, as many of them are being tracked.