Home Cigar 101
Options

Air circulation

big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
Was wondering what kind of fans you guys use for your coolidors, only thing I've found that might work good is RV fridge fans that are battery powered

Comments

• Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Just open and close the lid a couple times a month
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    None, I just open the lids once a week, or there abouts
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Find a computer fan they are reasonably cheap, if not battery operated convert yourself, it is relatively easy or use an air freshner fan with no freshner it unless you want flower smelling cigars, ha ha. Cycles about every 15 - 20 minutes:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    I found a cheap one on the Internet, hopefully it works fine
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Oust fans (can be found on eBay) have served me well.

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I use HDD fans, they pull air and blow it against the walls when mounted, and you can run them off of batteries or rig them to a plug!
  • Options
    How would you rig the fans to run on batteries or ac voltage
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Check search engine computer fan convert battery or something similar, should b able to run small ones off 2 9volt batteries!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes, air circulation is needed to age cigars correctly. however, it is not a major point nor is it a problem if there none. it will just cause your cigars to "age slower" as long as you have the correct RH. thats not a problem at all in my book. the natural opening and closing of a cooler to get a cigar will provide enough airflow let them age properly.

if you are using a fan inside to distribute humidity, that is a different story.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The Sniper:
    Oust fans (can be found on eBay) have served me well.

same here. I use 2 of them inside my 120qt to help distibute the RH. My beads are seperated into 4 1/2lb bags, and with the help of the oust fans, it keep rock solid RH.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    kuzi16:
    yes, air circulation is needed to age cigars correctly. however, it is not a major point nor is it a problem if there none. it will just cause your cigars to "age slower" as long as you have the correct RH. thats not a problem at all in my book. the natural opening and closing of a cooler to get a cigar will provide enough airflow let them age properly.

if you are using a fan inside to distribute humidity, that is a different story.
    Then what's the story with a fan? How often should it kick on? If it doesn't force any air directly over the cigars can they run all the time?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt let it run all the time. kick on once every 3-4 hours for maybe 2-3 minutes.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

"what he said". It is more important during the warmer months than the colder ones. Dissipation vs. mere exchange is the main issue. Almost no cigar environment is "sealed" so don't fret. Just my $0.02.