Home General Discussion

How to smoke inside W/O getting Caught

How do i get to smoke in my office without the smoke smell permeating my house? my wife would kill me if i made the house smell like smoke. i mean i don't want my office to smell like smoke after i'm done smoking either. all i want is to be able to smoke my cigars inside where its warm. i hate being banished to the garage with my small radiating heater in order to enjoy a smoke. all help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Qumodo:
    How do i get to smoke in my office without the smoke smell permeating my house? my wife would kill me if i made the house smell like smoke. i mean i don't want my office to smell like smoke after i'm done smoking either. all i want is to be able to smoke my cigars inside where its warm. i hate being banished to the garage with my small radiating heater in order to enjoy a smoke. all help is greatly appreciated.
    Hey Qumodo. First of all .. Welcome.. Next of all, it will never happen.. I have smoked outside, then come in and the smell hangs on. She will know. It clings to carpet, fabric, drapes, your hair, the air, clothes, and non-smokers can really pick up on it. I have tried everything and nothing is 100% It is only camouflage. If anyone knows of a better solution please share.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    My wife will occasionally let me smoke in my office room. Here is how I keep the smell pretty much non-existent.

Towel at bottom of door to keep smoke out of rest of the house.

Window open and small fan blowing out.

Ceiling fan on low.

I keep my ashtray near the fan in the window and rest the cigar in it most of the time.

After I'm done, I use some air freshener and then fabreeze on the chair and curtains. Then I let the room air out leaving the windows fan on and the ceiling fan on high. After about an hour nobody can tell I smoked in there. Also, candles can help get rid of the smell too. If I have them I'll light them while I'm smoking and leave them lit until after the room airs out.

Hope this helps.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    get a good smoke purifier. you can look around..
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Get an air purifier and an excellent ventillation system. Convert the flooring to tile or hardwoods. Change your window treatments to just wood blinds. Keep only hardwood furnishings in the room and remove any lamp shades. Shave your head and all your body hair. Strip down naked. Towel under the door was a great suggestion. Smoke right by the window with the fan blowing out and exhale through the fan. Easy :)
    dutyje:
    Get an air purifier and an excellent ventillation system. Convert the flooring to tile or hardwoods. Change your window treatments to just wood blinds. Keep only hardwood furnishings in the room and remove any lamp shades. Shave your head and all your body hair. Strip down naked. Towel under the door was a great suggestion. Smoke right by the window with the fan blowing out and exhale through the fan. Easy :)
    the first part was a good idea but then you got way overboard, i don't think all that extra stuff would make things too enjoyable, but maybe it's just me...
    dutyje:
    hey duty, if you want a reason to get naked you don't have to blame it on lingering smoke aroma. You forgot to mention wrap yourself in plastic wrap, wear a swim cap and rubber gloves
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    hey duty, if you want a reason to get naked you don't have to blame it on lingering smoke aroma. You forgot to mention wrap yourself in plastic wrap, wear a swim cap and rubber gloves
    yeah.. the wetsuit method is good, too... But there's just something about smoking au naturale. By the negative response from feebs, I'm guessing he's never given this a try. Why do you think I've been so excited about the warm weather? I'm about to go out for a smoke now, and it's still a little drafty in here. Wonder what the neighbors will say. I may have misinterpreted their complaints about my smoking.
    ...it's not what your smoking, but how your smoking it. I will have to try your method sometime. not the wetsuit.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I gotta tell ya... My wife is the least of my concern... I myself wouldn't want to smoke in the house simply for what it would do!

I smoke out in my garage... My suggestion would be to get better heating in there. I don't have ANY insulation in my garage on the walls... Only on the ceiling... I have a kerosene forced air heater (it's multi-fuel, you can actually run diesel, fuel oil, or jet A in it) but I ONLY run kerosene... It's the ONLY fuel that won't leave any trace of bad fumes... The only "smell" I get out of the thing is a little puff you can smell when it kicks off...

Point is I've sat out here when it was 10 degrees out and a window open quite a bit (to vent the cigar smoke) and it's still perfectly cozy with this thing... The one I have is 55k BTU and has a built in thermostat... It works awesome...

Now back to why I'm avoiding your original question... I smoke in my GARAGE... Where there's a motorcycle... Paint cans... lawn mowers... lawn vacuums... 5 gallon jugs of kerosene, gas, and heli (RC model) fuel... sawdust... dirt...

On top of that, cement floor, no curtains, drapes, etc... no furniture (other than a few chairs and a poker table)

well you get the idea... anyway... even with all that and even if I haven't smoked for a week or better and left the window wide open the entire time... my garage STILL smells like cigar smoke when you walk in...

So if you have any thoughts of smoking indoors and NOT having it smell like it... forget it... Not gonna happen... Sure you might be able to minimize it with a few techniques, but it's STILL gonna be there...
    kaspera79:
    ...it's not what your smoking, but how your smoking it. I will have to try your method sometime. not the wetsuit.
    a few words of caution when you do -- ash early, ash often.
    rusirius:
    I smoke in my GARAGE... Where there's a motorcycle... Paint cans... lawn mowers... lawn vacuums... 5 gallon jugs of kerosene, gas, and heli (RC model) fuel... sawdust... dirt...
    Darwin Award
    rusirius:
    I gotta tell ya... My wife is the least of my concern... I myself wouldn't want to smoke in the house simply for what it would do!

I smoke out in my garage... My suggestion would be to get better heating in there. I don't have ANY insulation in my garage on the walls... Only on the ceiling... I have a kerosene forced air heater (it's multi-fuel, you can actually run diesel, fuel oil, or jet A in it) but I ONLY run kerosene... It's the ONLY fuel that won't leave any trace of bad fumes... The only "smell" I get out of the thing is a little puff you can smell when it kicks off...

Point is I've sat out here when it was 10 degrees out and a window open quite a bit (to vent the cigar smoke) and it's still perfectly cozy with this thing... The one I have is 55k BTU and has a built in thermostat... It works awesome...

Now back to why I'm avoiding your original question... I smoke in my GARAGE... Where there's a motorcycle... Paint cans... lawn mowers... lawn vacuums... 5 gallon jugs of kerosene, gas, and heli (RC model) fuel... sawdust... dirt...

On top of that, cement floor, no curtains, drapes, etc... no furniture (other than a few chairs and a poker table)

well you get the idea... anyway... even with all that and even if I haven't smoked for a week or better and left the window wide open the entire time... my garage STILL smells like cigar smoke when you walk in...

So if you have any thoughts of smoking indoors and NOT having it smell like it... forget it... Not gonna happen... Sure you might be able to minimize it with a few techniques, but it's STILL gonna be there...
    I would agree with you but last week I smoked a gurkha factum in my computer/office room and though I had 2 air purifiers, and some other air cleaning devices running after the cigar was finished about an hour later I came back home and the odor was gone. I was a little disappointed since the aroma was so good but it worked. Though I'm sure if I did it enough times things would be different.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think the only way you could is if you replaced everything in the room that is organic and/or porous with glass or metal. then use an air filter or two.

better open the window also.

...and not have clothes on

... and shave your body and take a shower/brush your teeth when you are done.

even then shell smell it.
    its how women work.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    How to smoke inside without getting caught!?!?!? How old are you !!! ;) Seriously women will never understand...its a man thing mostly although there are some gals ...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    How to smoke inside without getting caught!?!?!? How old are you !!! ;) Seriously women will never understand...its a man thing mostly although there are some gals ...
    that's exactly right, I think part of it it too it's mental. My wife will say I stink like smoke even before I have lit my cigar! LOL, she's crazy...but I still love her ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

dutyje:
    rusirius:
    I smoke in my GARAGE... Where there's a motorcycle... Paint cans... lawn mowers... lawn vacuums... 5 gallon jugs of kerosene, gas, and heli (RC model) fuel... sawdust... dirt...
    Darwin Award
    I didn't know if anyone would catch on to the subtlety there or not... ;) I was gonna leave it with the fuel, but then figured I'd throw in the sawdust just for fun... ;) Too much I know, but it would make a hell of a story wouldn't it?
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    You could always use the classic "Dryer Sheet-Tube". Take a toilet paper roll (minus paper, of course) and a scented dryer sheet and fold the sheet a couple times to thicken it up, then tape or rubber band it into the end. Got me through plenty of "other" smokeable substances.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Dude Love:
    You could always use the classic "Dryer Sheet-Tube". Take a toilet paper roll (minus paper, of course) and a scented dryer sheet and fold the sheet a couple times to thicken it up, then tape or rubber band it into the end. Got me through plenty of "other" smokeable substances.

That's exactly what I thought about when I first started reading this thread.....many times, in many dorm rooms
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    Darwin Award
    I didn't know if anyone would catch on to the subtlety there or not... ;) I was gonna leave it with the fuel, but then figured I'd throw in the sawdust just for fun... ;) Too much I know, but it would make a hell of a story wouldn't it?
    Yeah, the sawdust was my favorite.. when I saw that I knew I had to say something :)
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    rusirius:

I would agree with you but last week I smoked a gurkha factum in my computer/office room and though I had 2 air purifiers, and some other air cleaning devices running after the cigar was finished about an hour later I came back home and the odor was gone. I was a little disappointed since the aroma was so good but it worked. Though I'm sure if I did it enough times things would be different.
    How is the Factum? I was contemplating buying a 5 pack.
  • blazerblazer Posts: 6
    I have had good success with one of those ozone units. My office is about 4 miles from home. I smoke the stogie then ride home on my bike. Not too much in the way of lingering fragrance by the time I get home.
  • sspl01sspl01 Posts: 11
    Hi,
    It is not a good manner to smoke in the office while your working hours.

kim

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sspl01:
    Hi,

kim

...in your opinion.
  • QumodoQumodo Posts: 2
    thanks for all your suggestions but i think i've given up. my wife is now complaining that she cal smell it through the garage door...lol and to answer a few of your questions i'm 22, and to the person who said not to smoke in my office, my office is in my house its where i run my side photography business from. im active duty air force, i dont think they'd let me smoke in that office. oh and im not shaving anything other then my face ;)
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Qumodo:
    oh and im not shaving anything other then my face ;)
    You don't know what you are missing....... :-)
    rwheelwright:
    Qumodo:
    oh and im not shaving anything other then my face ;)
    You don't know what you are missing....... :-)
    My thoughts exactly wheelie !
  • rhoffartrhoffart Posts: 4

Qumodo:

wow, there are so many ways to answer this ... but I'll be nice.

Qumodo:
    thanks for all your suggestions but i think i've given up. my wife is now complaining that she cal smell it through the garage door...lol and to answer a few of your questions i'm 22, and to the person who said not to smoke in my office, my office is in my house its where i run my side photography business from. im active duty air force, i dont think they'd let me smoke in that office. oh and im not shaving anything other then my face ;)
    You could try seeing if you can transfer to the marines... At least then you'd have the balls to tell your wife where to stick it...

LOL! I kid I kid!!!
  • blazerblazer Posts: 6
    sspl01:
    Hi,

kim

My office my rules … right? Had a guy a few weeks ago complain about pot holes in my gravel driveway. I told him “If you don’t like the driveway don’t come down it!” I think there is a reason I work for myself … just can’t put my finger on it. :-)
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    Darwin Award

Dude.....i choked on my beer as i was reading that ROFL!!!! Ohhhh the visual...:)