Home Cigar 101
Options

Question about Ageing

I am brand new to this, just got a humidor and seem to actually have the temperature and humidity under control. Everything I read says most good cigars taste better with aging, which I usually see around 2 years for the best experience. I want to try different cigars obviously since I am starting out, but what do I smoke while the ones I am getting start aging? Are there pre-aged cigars for sale?! Be gentle on me haha!

Comments

• Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    First off welcome. Secondly, aging cigars is to me, a matter of perspective depending on what type of cigar you like to smoke, as well as the wrapper, binder, and filler. I find some cigars age better than others, such as CAO Sopranos. Out of the box it is a good cigar. After six months, even better. Two years, quite good, and after five or more years, deliciously complex. Then there are cigars like Opus X which initially within the first year I find better than aging them, until the five or more years when the cigar seems to hit its stride. For some reason the second year on they fall flat until that five year and longer mark. It's still a great cigar, but with patience, comes smoking pleasure. If your humidor is big enough, I would recommend buying ten or more of a cigar you like that have not aged other than the point it reaches your door, and try them every couple of months. If you find cigars that seem to be, in your palate's opinion, aging well, get a second humidor, and get more of the cigar to stash away. Warning though...you might wind up with several humidors, and/or several coolers of cigars.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard. What I'd recommend is that you just smoke cigars, try them out and narrow down your likes and dislikes. Spend a couple years focusing your tastes. At that point you should take aging into consideration.

If I could go back and change one thing about the way I approached the hobby, it would have been to stay away from boxes and aging for the first 2-3 years.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Try to buy at least three of each cigar.This way you can smoke one when you receive them, wait A while, smoke another and longer still on the last one. This way you can choose which cigars taste better aged to you. Everybody has A different way of doing things and this is mine.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Try to buy at least three of each cigar.This way you can smoke one when you receive them, wait A while, smoke another and longer still on the last one. This way you can choose which cigars taste better aged to you. Everybody has A different way of doing things and this is mine.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cigar.com has an aging room where you can buy cigars with age on them. the rest of it is preference and is debated about often. i have found that cigars that are oily age a bit better. i also find that stronger cigars can stand up to it.

beyond that, i personally found that i dont like to age Oscuro wrappers as much (they tend to bring out more coffee notes). I do enjoy aging some corojo cigars and often some good maduros.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    farinahome:
    I am brand new to this, just got a humidor and seem to actually have the temperature and humidity under control. Everything I read says most good cigars taste better with aging, which I usually see around 2 years for the best experience. I want to try different cigars obviously since I am starting out, but what do I smoke while the ones I am getting start aging? Are there pre-aged cigars for sale?! Be gentle on me haha!
    Aging your full and med/full cigars will yield the best results IMO. Mild and med bodied cigars may well leave you with a less than undesirable result. Just chiming.
  • Options
    Makes sense, I'll just enjoy some samplers from now and save any duplicates and see what happens! Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Welcome aboard. What I'd recommend is that you just smoke cigars, try them out and narrow down your likes and dislikes. Spend a couple years focusing your tastes. At that point you should take aging into consideration.

If I could go back and change one thing about the way I approached the hobby, it would have been to stay away from boxes and aging for the first 2-3 years.
    Yep, this. Just like we were talking about earlier today actually.