Home General Discussion
Options

Freezing cigars

Recently my humi was subject to 75+ degrees F and I was going to take a preemptive measure to get rid of beetles. My few questions are how long should I put my sticks in the freezer and will a humicare packet do for humidity in the bag?

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I would not worry about the small increase in temp. Unless you had an RH spike too. You can always check the cigars frequently and not freeze unless you see problems. Make sure if you do decide to freeze that you place them in the refrigerator for a day before moving them into the freezer. Opinions on how long to freeze vary but if you have a good 0 or lower freezer I would keep them in for 3 days. Then back in the fridge for a day before going back into the humi. No reason to put any humidification device in with the cigars during this process.
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    i went through a period of 3 or 4 days over the summer where hy humi's climbed up to around 80. no beetles.
    that being said i tend to keep my rh around 65 and it would have been a pain in the ass to try to fit 500+ sticks in the freezer

i do however freeze incoming packages from time to time. ive always put them in the fridge for 12-24 hours then to the freezer for up to 3 days, then back to the fridge for another 12-24 hours.

dont know how others do it but that works for me.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have A bad experience with freezing cigars?
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:

Nope. I just did my whole coolidor with nary a problem......
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't try freezing a humi pack, may bust on you. Yuck!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Recently my humi was subject to 75+ degrees F and I was going to take a preemptive measure to get rid of beetles. My few questions are how long should I put my sticks in the freezer and will a humicare packet do for humidity in the bag?
    i wouldnt worry one lick about it. if they are gunna hatch it will be when it is over on temp. not when it is colder. if there are not signs of them right now and your temp is lower than 70, i wouldnt sweat it at all.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Not only have I never had a problem with it but just for curiosity sake when I removed them from the freezer I lit one up immediately. A DPG Blue and it burned and tasted perfect.