Home Cigar 101
Options

empty boxes for coolidor....which kind?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Would like to get some cedar into my coolidor, without spending excess money on trays, cedar blocks, and all that.

Are the "wood" boxes better at $2.00/ea? (maybe more cedar?)
Or are the traditional paper covered pressed wood boxes just as good (can get those for $1.00/ea)
thanks

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think its what ever floats your boat. I'd go with the wider and flatter ones so you can stack more.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo, Horst. I've got a couple I'll send ya. Maybe 2 or 3....... Cedar, I believe.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Marty - but hang on to them, maybe bring when you come down to Seacliff!
    No sense mailing a couple boxes - shipping will be twice what they're worth.
    I'm just wondering if the all wood boxes are the way to go.....

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Wood is better, but honestly, it doesn't matter. In my experience, what the cigars are stored in is not as important (as long as it doesn't have a strong/funky odor to impart to the cigars) as the temperature and humidity.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    Thanks Marty - but hang on to them, maybe bring when you come down to Seacliff!
    No sense mailing a couple boxes - shipping will be twice what they're worth.
    I'm just wondering if the all wood boxes are the way to go.....

Okay.... But if you change your mind, they're yours. Just let me know.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    docbp87:
    Wood is better, but honestly, it doesn't matter. In my experience, what the cigars are stored in is not as important (as long as it doesn't have a strong/funky odor to impart to the cigars) as the temperature and humidity.
    What doc said! Im assuming (yes I know what that gets me... I should just assu...) you are thinking about organization in your cooler, and in that case paper-vs-wood really has no bearing. In my experience, coolers usually hold a rock-steady humidity and temp, so using wood on those grounds really shouldnt buy you much or be needed in the first place. Whether paper or wood, just make sure you arent using boxes from an infused line of cigars and you should be golden!

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I was going to run to my B&M and ask if I could grab some old boxes, then I found a box of unused cedar shingles in my basement. Got some lining the bottom of my coolidor now. The old boxes I do have I'll save for interior organization.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I was going to run to my B&M and ask if I could grab some old boxes, then I found a box of unused cedar shingles in my basement. Got some lining the bottom of my coolidor now. The old boxes I do have I'll save for interior organization.
    Not the same cedar, bro. You don't want those shingles in your cooler, even though they are white they are too aromatic.
  • Options
    Chances are those shingles are a different kind of cedar - not Spanish Cedar. Jus' sayin......
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Chances are those shingles are a different kind of cedar - not Spanish Cedar. Jus' sayin......
    I know they're not Spanish. They're actually giving off very little odor.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Spanish cedar is not cedar. it is part of the mahogany family. it shouldnt have an odor other than the smell of a humidor. as long as they are wood boxes that cigars were sold in, you will be good.
  • Options
    File one in the "shows what I know" file. Thanks to a few of my construction worker friends tonight, I learned that cedar shingles carry a natural toxicity in them. Apparently that's what keeps the bugs away from them. Needless to say I just took them out of my cooler and wiped the inside down again. So...yeah. That's what I learned tonight.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Yip, they don't resist rot for no reason.