Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gurkha, A History Lesson

Most of you will know the renowned name of Gurkha and what that means in relation to cigars. Well I wanted more. Where did the name come from? What sort of history is there? What I found was some interesting facts about an original Asia-based badass.

The term "Gurkha" comes from a British mispronunciation of the town of Gorkha, in western Nepal. Not a true ethnic group, the Gurkhas represent what British officers since the mid-eighteenth century have considered the fighting classes of Nepal. The British first encountered them during the 1814-1816 war between Nepal and the Bengal Presidency of the East India Company. Impressed by their cheerful disposition even when wounded, the British bonded with their erstwhile adversaries.

'I never saw more steadfastness or more bravery exhibited by any set of men in my life', a British officer said, after one battle. 'Run they would not; and of death they seemed to have no fear though their comrades were falling thick around them.' Another who described their officers as treacherous and bloodthirsty, praised the common soldiers for their courage, endurance and obedience. In addition to their 'infamous' muskets, they were armed he noted with a 'fearsome crooked instrument called a kookuree, which they used for cutting branches as well as carving up their enemies.'

The Gurkhas have been Great Britain's most valued mercenaries. They have fought for the British in: The Boxer Rebellion, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, and many other smaller conflicts. They have now been reduced to a single regiment of 3,000 men, the Royal Gurkha Rifles, with Prince Charles as their Colonel-in-Chief.

A. E. Housman wrote, Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

While I guess all you had to do was jaunt on over to Wikipedia, but I wanted to use my college library database for scholarly articles. Trying to get the most out of that 200k tuition :) Enjoy

Sources:

Kaplan, Robert D.. Atlantic Monthly (10727825), May2006, Vol. 297 Issue 4, p79-84, 3p

Evans, George. Contemporary Review, Apr2000, Vol. 276 Issue 1611, p197, 4p

Comments

• Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    i learned something today
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they're some bad mo-fo's and are still kicking a$$...

Gurkha soldier kills 30 taliban

Just trying to identify my target, sir!
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Remember those boxes of plastic soldiers you could buy when you were a kid (if you were a kid in the 70s early 80s I guess)? I remember having a box of Gurkhas. Now that takes on a whole new meaning I guess, although I'd still probably prefer the box of toy soldiers.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Thats pretty cool, i guess the dude on the band now makes sense.
  • Options
    GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    And here I thought it just meant crap in another language....
  • Options
    Yeah... I think if Spielburg Got wind of this story it would make quite the movie.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll go smoke a Centurian now
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Well I just convinced myself to get the Daily Deal on Gurkhas. Saw it as a sign.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ive got a lot more respect for a$$ whuppin Gurkha troops than I do for Gurkha cigars, thats for sure! LOL Thanks for the post, that was cool.

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    The Sniper:
    Ive got a lot more respect for a$$ whuppin Gurkha troops than I do for Gurkha cigars, thats for sure! LOL Thanks for the post, that was cool.

+1 I worked with a group of contractors from Gorkha when I was in Iraq. I can tell you this, after what happened, nobody ever stole their soccer ball again!
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    DSWarmack:
    The Sniper:

+1 I worked with a group of contractors from Gorkha when I was in Iraq. I can tell you this, after what happened, nobody ever stole their soccer ball again!
    I can only imagine! While TDY in Afghanistan, a bunch of us made the mistake of walking thru a parking lot in which the Jordanian contingent were playing an imprompteau game of soccer. They COMPLETELY flipped out and it was d@mn near a joint task force throw-down right then and there - over WALKING THRU A PARKING LOT. LOL

Good thing it was the Jordanians and not the Gorkha's... they probably would have cut our heads off and USED them for soccer balls... :-)

• Options
    The Sniper:
    DSWarmack:
    The Sniper:

I can only imagine! While TDY in Afghanistan, a bunch of us made the mistake of walking thru a parking lot in which the Jordanian contingent were playing an imprompteau game of soccer. They COMPLETELY flipped out and it was d@mn near a joint task force throw-down right then and there - over WALKING THRU A PARKING LOT. LOL

Good thing it was the Jordanians and not the Gorkha's... they probably would have cut our heads off and USED them for soccer balls... :-)

That's not far from what was seen, but I'm pretty sure that was an embellishment from some of the younger guys, when I walked by it was the kids dog's head they were tossing about.
  • Options
    It's Gurkha Beauty time. It's Gurkha Beauty time. Let's celebrate the name, that that smoky bliss proclaims.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    some_text
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    some_text
    again with the reading rainbow $h!t! It took three days to get it out of ny head last time!
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    oldsoulrevival:
    some_text
    again with the reading rainbow $h!t! It took three days to get it out of ny head last time!
    lol.... what song?
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    DSWarmack:
    oldsoulrevival:
    some_text
    lol.... what song?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j8EiWIVZs
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Do not click on that link it's a trap. :)
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    oldsoulrevival:
    DSWarmack:
    oldsoulrevival:
    some_text
    lol.... what song?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j8EiWIVZs
    haha not sure how that picture got that stuck in your head; it's from an NBC public service announcement.